It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else loves the mix of mysticism and realpolitik on this board?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I used the terms "mysticism" and "realpolitik" in the thread title because I don't really know what else to call them, and thread title space is limited. But for our purposes, I would define the "mysticism" side as all the religious, UFO, and paranormal threads, while the "realpolitk" side has to do with the more political/economic aspects of life. Although sometimes they can overlap in a way, I consider them the "yin and yang" of ATS.

This is probably my favorite thing about this board. One minute I can be reading about the mystery cults of ancient Sumeria; the next second with a single click I can read about the trials and travails of modern Mesopotamia vis-a-vis the Iraq war, or oil issues. I can slip from 2012-based speculations or philosophical threads about the afterlife to hardheaded analysis of the current economic meltdown.

I love the ability to have both in a single forum because both sides interest me. Moreover, they balance each other out. When I start feeling a little too "flakey" with some of the more paranormal or metaphysical threads, I can start reading hard-edged news about deficits and financial collapse. When that all becomes a bit much to take, I can flip over to something about the inner architecture of the Great Pyramid of Giza or whatever. I love the balance.

Anyone else feel the same way? I was trying to think what exactly it was about this board that was so attractive to me and I came up with that as my own personal answer. I was wondering how others felt about the issue. Probably some people gravitate more towards one side than the other, but personally it is the availability of both that keeps me coming back for more.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I totally agree with you! This is the best website for me nowadays. It has good qualified information and a great diversity of perspectives. I'm the kind of person that gets tired of things fast, so ATS is just great for me, I can keep skipping from one side of the universe to the other in a matter of seconds!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well I certainly love the black and gray background real spooky and addictive for posting.

I also like arguing, for my point of view. Although backlash occurs phenomenally in great measures

I find news on here, that the MSM, would straight lie to me, I find FreeThinkers people who have seen the world, and abolished all Bias' and created a alternative to look at.

I can disagree with someone yet silently, wonder what it is like to place myself in their shoes and try to see what they see.

Quite a remarkable site, i've looked for ones similar, this site, is not equalled.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
ATS has been my goto site for news ever sense I started reading about things weeks before I would see them covered on cable news(years ago). ATS is full of good info and great debates regarding lots of different topics, from ancient history, current day politics, paranormal activity, aliens, and the fabled hollow earth. ATS has it all.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I come here because I can contribute my opinion and present facts for any subject whenever i want without being criticized.

For example, if I try to argue against someone at my university that I believe 9/11 was the result of a false flag attack or that Obama is another crook, then i sure as heck will get reprimanded by professors and ridiculed by several classmates.

If i feel like debating why I dislike christianity and turned into an atheist I would probably be punched in the face by one of the many extremists that can be found in the streets.

Here in ATS I can have healthy debates, conversations, get all sides of different issues, learn new things from all sorts of topics ranging from politics to new age, examine conspiracies, etc. without the need to worry about violent backslashes that are sure to occur should these issues be discussed in real life.

As most of you believe I'm sure, the internet really IS the last place were our freedom of speech remains untouched. ATS is probably the best site were all sorts of people with different beliefs come together to examine all sorts of topics.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by newworld

For example, if I try to argue against someone at my university that I believe 9/11 was the result of a false flag attack or that Obama is another crook, then i sure as heck will get reprimanded by professors and ridiculed by several classmates.

That's sad as hell, son.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

That's sad as hell, son.

Oh yeah, really sad. (please don't call me son, it sounds.. patronizing)

but that is how it is around the place i live nowadays. most people will ridicule you for anything. In this board, however, I can have logical discussions with most people in here.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by newworld]

[edit on 14-8-2009 by newworld]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Oh yeah, really sad. (please don't call me son, it sounds.. patronizing)

but that is how it is around the place i live nowadays. most people will ridicule you for anything. In this board, however, I can have logical discussions with most people in here.

Well, I don't mean to patronize you at all, your post is quite informative if tragic...but It's been about 30 years since I was in university, and one of the few joys of getting older is being able to play the "crusty old man" card. You gotta look at it like that old tale about Lyndon Johnson. One evening, or so the story goes, when skunk-drunk on Wild Turkey Whisky, he tottered out into the Rose Garden of the White House to vacate his bladder. He ended up doing so all over the leg of the stoic Secret Serviceman standing there on guard as per normal administration protocol. When this serviceman tried to genltly make Johnson aware of this fact, the Chief Executive is said to have slurringly drawled, "Son, that's a Presidential perogative."

But I digress as usual...

Anyway, concerning the heart of the matter, I think its tragic that professors and University people abuse their power they way they do. I went to a very liberal University and I thought things were bad back then ("political correctness" was just getting underway) but from everything I hear it seems worse now. The whole academic system appears to me to be rotten and corrupt to the core but then hey, so does everything else these days. You have my sympathies.

At least its good to know there are students such as yourself resisting the brainwashing and aware of the issue. You will have to fight hard I guess. Best wishes.

[edit on 8/14/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If we want to understand the nature of reality and the grand conspiracy then both these subjects must be attented. I find it so hard to understand how some people can get as far as recogising the real world conspiracy at large ( the one tha has existed for hundreds of years) but cannot go past that and think astral beings etc are nonsense, levels of programming I guess. I like the terminology you used!

new topics

top topics

join