It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you really think your vote counts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
With all the events that have taken place over the course of the last year or so involving congress. For example the fact that 97% of the US did not want the bailouts but yet they did it anyway. The fact that the FED just laughs at us as they give they just rob us blind and make all there friends rich.

Everyone is saying "what will you do if" with replies to the effect "I will vote them out of office" well now I have to laugh. I really hope that you all don't think that your vote counts. I mean really? Do you really think it matters to them who you vote for! Remember Florida? Acorn? We are cooked! They have every legal angle covered. I am afraid we are out of options!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Whether or not they actually adhere to our votes, they have to know. If we just keep it up, they'll figure it out.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
As a veteran of more than one war, I would like to tell you that your vote counts.

Pretend for a moment that you change this government. Pretend that you make a new government with people from our society. Pretend that you now have a new government. How will you elect new government? How do you imagine that your vote will count then, if it does not count now? Are you recommending a dictatorship? A monarchy? Would you have us eliminate voting? Have you thought through your argument before posting it? What is your solution? Where are your answers?

May I suggest that, for those who complain about our form of government, please suggest something better, make your suggestion take effect through legal and civilized means, and be of assistance in making America a better country.

If you have a lot of time on your hands to complain, you must have enough time to volunteer to make a difference. Your forefathers who built and defended your freedoms took the time to make a positive difference. And they trusted God for guidance and inspiration.

Please list the ways in which you will do the same.

America: love it, improve it, or shut up about it.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

I think that if Americans united and were set to vote all the incumbents out and the polls and media reflected proof of that, it would be very difficult to manipulate the votes.

If they did, I think the Iranian election aftermath would look like a pinata party compared to what we would see hear.

Just my .02 cents

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well, what do you think about the nov. elections? Seems like there were a few races that don’t make much since! Nevada being one.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott

America: love it, improve it, or shut up about it.

I was with you. completely. Until you said that shut up part.... Then you lost me...

Why is it that so many dare to suggest that people better not speak their mind? Look, I agree with everything else you said. Our vote does count. But just because some one thinks it may not, does not mean you should tell them to shut up...

Here in the US we have free speech. This allows us to state our thoughts and opinions with out fear of persecution...

That is the beautiful thing about free speech. You don't have to agree with anything anyone else says.

Let's lay off the attempts to silent opposing voices shall we? because THAT is precisely what America is NOT...

And you should know that as a veteran.... If not, I suggest that it is YOU who needs to go out and rethink.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
How dare you go around telling people that their vote does not count, shattering their carefully crafted illusion of democracy. You should know better than that! I think it's better to let people believe they're actually making a difference with their vote, when in fact, they're voting for the same decrepit two faced coin.

As for elections being rigged, that probably has been going on since the first election ever held. You either take advantage or get taken advantage of. Still, this is no reason to burst the plebs' bubble and rudely awake them from their blissful daydream.

Now, I think I will take the other guy's advice and shut up.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You want a solution?

Ok, how about people vote on issues instead of people to represent them. At least then I would feel MY vote counted toward something. This way you would not be voting for the lesser of 2 evils, but rather the items that will affect YOUR day to day life. This would also help end the career politicians who are only employed to make new laws (and make them to long to read with so many unrelated subsections)

But then i still do not trust the machine or person counting my vote. Add in knowing people are greedy and more are just needing money to survive which leads to desperation...which leads me to even more distrust.

But for the shut up part, the same can be said to you. While I respect veterans (several in my family), that does not earn any weight to your words. Please understand I mean no disrespect for your accomplishments in "the service". Just trying to bring back down to earth that you are still a human being and still in the same war with the rest of us to survive and sustain some freedom for our kids. Not all wars are fought with guns or on a battlefield.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
First, your vote and my vote both count. That creepy guy down the street? Yes, his vote counts as well. Your vote counts toward voting a representative into office.

Secondly, we live in a Republic which means, the representative that you voted in will create laws and policy that he/she feels is correct for the US. This does not mean that he/she will always vote the way you would vote.

Welcome to the machine. But the good thing is, if you don't agree with the person you voted in, you can vote them out and get someone else in.

So, to sum up, your vote does indeed count but the person you vote in may not represent your interests all the time.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
Welcome to the machine. But the good thing is, if you don't agree with the person you voted in, you can vote them out and get someone else in.

So, to sum up, your vote does indeed count but the person you vote in may not represent your interests all the time.

Here is my problem with the voting system. If they do not vote the way THE PEOPLE want, there are still no repercussions other than losing their office after this term. As the OP states, 97% (have not verified this number) of people were against the bailout yet it went though. And while most of those members have lost their seats... we are still without resolution to a failing dollar. Without accountability, I don't think the majority of people we have voted in will take care of things accordingly.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by scoobdude

Our representatives (Reps, Sens, Pres) enact laws and policies that they feel will be best for the country as a whole. We have to choose which one will represent our ideals the best with the understanding that, sometimes our best interest isn't in the best interest of the Nation as a whole.

As for repercussions, other than voting them out, there's nothing and there shouldn't be any repercussions.

97% were/are against Health Care Reform...I'd like to see where that number came from and don't show me a Rush Limbaugh listener poll...That one's slightly skewed.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
No it does not count anymore. Has everyone forgotten "Citizen's United vs. The Federal Election Commission"? Good grief, it was only this past January. The problem goes beyond whether our vote counts. Now, no one really knows for sure who they are voting for or where the money is coming from anymore. Since any corporation, foreign or domestic can donate as much money as they want into an election campaign, how in the world can ANYONE other than these corporations, really believe their vote counts now?

Come on people! Wake up! Games over. Maybe your vote did count in the 2008 elections. But it did not count in last weeks election and it will not count again under our current system. Now if you vote you are simply perpetuating the lie. Pretending that things have NOT changed will not make things better or different. Personally, I've had enough of pretending. Enough of the lies. I don't know what the answer is to make it better. But I do know the longer the lie continues, the more it's going to hurt all of us.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
No it does not count anymore. Has everyone forgotten "Citizen's United vs. The Federal Election Commission"?

For anyone interested, here's a link: en.wikipedia.org...

Sorry it's from WIKI...

Anywho, explain to me how our vote no longer counts? Is it because your candidate didn't win and now you're bitter? Your vote is counted....period!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The problem is not that your vote doesn't count. The problem is the voters. Those who chose to wear blinders and/or not educate themselves on the candidates.

Four days ago, 18 incumbent Senators were re-elected. This even though only 19.8% of Americans approve of the Congress. The election results reflect that many of those just disapprove of everybody else's Sen and Rep, but their own is just fine and dandy. Until they come to the realization that all career politicians are part of the problem, the solution will be unattainable.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well I must say that my faith is waning.

They have gotten so bold in Florida that they call elections less than an hour and a half after the closing of the polls.

Seems to me that TPTB are not even making any attempts any more at being clandestine in their power grabs and they could not care less about what we have to say because they know that there is nothing that we can really do.

I don't want to be one of those people that just sit around and complain but to be honest I just don't have a clue at how to resolve this in a legal safe manner.

Heck! You can't even do a peaceful demonstration any more without getting maced, beaten or jailed.

Maybe somebody has a workable solution.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Though I agree that they should wait until all the votes are counted, they can "call it" by making an educated guess by looking at results in certain areas of the state. Large cities are normally lean to the left, but, when the results from these areas go to the right, then they figure the other counties that normally lean right will vote the same. It's not perfect and sometimes there are irregularities and that's the reason they now wait until all the polls are closed before calling an election.

During the Bush/Gore election, they started calling states and a lot of last minute voters decided not to vote since their candidate had won. Unfortunately, this was not the case. That was definitely a case where the MSM impacted the election.

As for Florida, I have no sympathy for the voters. After the above election when they said confusion made them cast a vote for Buchanon, well, they could have asked for help. If you can't figure out a simple paper ballot, you get what you deserve.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i guess you can think about it this way..if you vote for the broken machine..why complain? you know it is broken and that 90% of politicians..or 'new' politicians will vote thier party lines despite what they said. you vote to put 'new, used' parts from the 2 same companies (which manufacture sub-standard parts) into the broken machine..and for some reason..the machine isn't getting better.....just bigger , more expensive, less responsive, sucks down more and more resources, less accountable and most importantly, more and more hidden from public view. so yes, your vote does count..it is just a matter of what you THINK it counts for.

it's not like you have more than 2 choices in america..one side is caught up in manipulations, exagerations, half truths and full lies..then you look at the other side and what do you see????? the same thing 'cept they like to wear different colored ties.

the 2 companies that have a monopoly over the 'market' do everything in thier power to keep other 'parts' off the market..no changes, no upgrades, keep the status quo. what will happen when the 'voter turn out' is only hitting 40%....(2008 aprox 62% voted in presidential election...go look it up for yourself you lazy bums
)

after many many moons of playing this weird game, i have decided to voice my opinion thru being one of the various statistics that is talked about..just like voting. but of course, this is what i was doing all-the-while...i just chose to make a different choice.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

The 97% figure, was a figure which I personally remember was stated on meet the press, it was not for the healthcare bill it was for the TARP bailouts. I thought that a congress man was obligated, or at least should be, to vote the way his congressional district tells him to. He is there to represent the voice of the people!!!! Not what he feels is best!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee

The 97% figure, was a figure which I personally remember was stated on meet the press, it was not for the healthcare bill it was for the TARP bailouts. I thought that a congress man was obligated, or at least should be, to vote the way his congressional district tells him to. He is there to represent the voice of the people!!!! Not what he feels is best!

Sometimes what's best for the people is not necessarily what they want. I, personally, would love to see the government get rid of all taxes. Unfortunately, who'd fix the roads or pay the military? What's best for some is not best for everyone. Elected officials have to look at the big picture and do what they think is best. If they screw it up, well, they don't get elected for a second term.

This is why each and every one of us have to research exactly who we are voting for and not just listen to 30 second spots in prime time. We have to communicate with those we put into power and find out, through them, why they are voting on a certain issue. If we feel they are not representing us, then we need to tell them and seek a new candidate.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

So what your saying is a candidate could say what ever he wants to get into office, and then do as he wants once there for the length of his term? Even if it is in complete contradiction of what his platform was? I don’t think that could be right! Do you realize the devastation one could do in that time?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join