It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos From Mars!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

PHOTOS FROM MARS!!!!

www.nasa.gov

www.nasa.gov...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13 Aug 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Can someone please explain to me how we can have a photo like this yet the VLA cannot take a picture of the moon?
Why can we not get photos like this of the places in our solar system that are of REAL interest?
Do these cameras not pass by other planets on the way to take these perfect shots?
Must just be me...the conspiracy theorist....
I don't think Santa is real so I suppose I am on a list now.....
I sure won't be looking into Obama's credit report or anything for fear of going to the pokey!!!! hahahah

Comments welcomed...flames expected.....

www.nasa.gov

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Interesting, when zooming in notice the straight lines on the left side of the crater, like roads or lines connecting dots.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by theonlyrusty

Out of the 3 links, I never got an article, just three pictures?

A nice picture though, BACKGROUND!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
what is that a picture of? funny looking crator!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Nice photograph, but next time could you not use all caps in the title?

That image is from HiRise I would guess..

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Unidentified Object within this Photo !!

Outside of the crater bottom left. Hard to see unless you zoom in. Press "Ctrl" and " + " to zoom in with firefox.

It is two small connected yellow/green balls or lights or something...

It could be a compression artifact or a stuck pixel on the photo sensor ..Or something else.. any Ideas?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2f065cc4b73.jpg[/atsimg]

If one looks closely toward the outside edges of the crater one can make out the ring of permafrost ice which sits just below the top layer of soil. Nice picture of a crater I must say though.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by wiredamerican]

[edit on 13-8-2009 by wiredamerican]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
What are the lines along the bottom. They sure look straight...and long.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/97f64efaf58b.png[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I have a quick question that may be slightly off the topic, but lemme shoot (somewhat releated - as we are talking about ground imaging).

How come when you go to Google Mars and check out Cydonia, it's blurred out? The face is there, but everything to the west is blotted out? No pyramids, nothing. Didn't want to make a thread about it. Sorry for the derailment...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I am not sure what you are talking about regarding the "VLA", you mean the "Very Large Array"? That is a radio telescope, and if you were heading towards "why can't we see the landers and stuff on the Moon in greater detail" that is because no current (non spy satellite, and NASA or any space agency is not getting that) optics can see something that small from orbit. As far as why haven't we done this on more planets....Well that is because there is more interest in Mars right now, it takes enough money to send high res probes to Mars or the Moon, it is not like we can just send a super expensive probe to every planet, and even then we do not have the technology for any practical "planet hopping" probe.

And no the probe that took this image did not pass by any other planets on its way to Mars, even if it did it is not like it could stop in mid interplanetary flight to orbit a planet and then resume its current trajectory. We just do not have that type of technology (at least publically), we are pretty much bound by orbital and celestial mechanics once we get up there with what ever limited internal propulsion we have.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by notsosweet

Tracks from one of the mars rovers

NASA Mars Rover Ready For Descent Into Crater

[edit on 13-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

And if they are not that they could also be slope streaks, at least I would consider the rover track and natural geology theory before ancient artificial roads on Mars (which may or may not exist).

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by theonlyrusty

Can someone please explain to me how we can have a photo like this yet the VLA cannot take a picture of the moon?
Why can we not get photos like this of the places in our solar system that are of REAL interest?
Do these cameras not pass by other planets on the way to take these perfect shots?
Must just be me...the conspiracy theorist....
I don't think Santa is real so I suppose I am on a list now.....
I sure won't be looking into Obama's credit report or anything for fear of going to the pokey!!!! hahahah

Comments welcomed...flames expected.....

www.nasa.gov

All that it is missing is the soap bar.

pssssst, (it's not real....follow your feelings luke....)

Feelings you must follow......use the schwartz!

[edit on 13-8-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
what is that a picture of? funny looking crator!

That would be the Victoria Crater located just south of the equator on Mars. Here is a nice panoramic view taken by NASA's Opportunity Rover:

(high res)

(low res)

Courtesy:antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 8/14/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
These faces are in the front center of the crater pic. There is another more interesting one harder to see that shows a live face elevated off the ground.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

What Moon? Oh you don't need to worry about that.... look over there - *runs away*

The question of questions that one my friend.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow

The question of questions that one my friend.

What, WZN?? You are so hard-wired in delusion?

He asked about the VLA....a radio telescope. Do you really think a radio telescope takes images like that?

Deny.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You don't see these animals on Earth.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by vze2xjjk

So THAT'S where my missing Bunny Slipper went!!!

It was driving me crazy!!

jra

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Because the VLA is a radio telescope. Radio telescopes do not take images like that. The photo you linked to was taken by the MRO. Recently NASA launched the LRO which is currently orbiting the Moon and still being commissioned. It should be entering its mission orbit by the end of August.

You can see some photos from it here

You can as long as you have a probe orbiting the planet you want to see specifically. Ground based telescopes or Earth orbiting telescopes will not give you close to that kind of detail.

Depends on where you're sending the probe. In the case of the MRO, no it did not pass by any other planets as there are none between Earth and Mars and it will only be orbiting Mars for the rest of its mission.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join