It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about a new grass-roots movement, vote them ALL out!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Alas a wonderful idea that has been pandered on this site many many times before. Not exactly in this format but discussed over adn over.

I'm on board but I see a HUGE flaw. Money. Where are WE going to get the money to back the people we will want to vote in? You see, THEY will have all of the lobbyists with big pocketbooks from big corporations lining their pockets with big money. Unfortunately big money wins elections nowadays and not moral fiber or high moral political standards (did I just say moral and political in the same sentence? Forgive me!)

A great idea. One that would work in turning things around IF and only IF legislation was passed that lobbyists were no longer allowed to setp within 200 miles of D.C.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

nice idea but its pointless.

the banks will corrupt a new group of politicians. lobbiest will buy loyalties as they do know.

as long as live under a monetary system there will be politicians that will sell us out for a bigger house and a fancier car.

i constantly see posts calling for a revolution or a new vote or something else similiar. but this doesnt solve the core root of the problems we suffer from.

the revolution in 1776 didnt fix things. the banks still bought us out despite the fact that the constitution had a provision preventing private banks from printing our money. and each politician since then has slowly erroded our liberties.

so why would a fresh start change anything ? as long as money exists our problems will exist

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Your dead in the water before you even got started. You'll need to register as a PAC in order to endorse or unendorse a candidate.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Best thread I seen on this website yet, and the one that makes the most since. Good job and even better "idea". You have a really good idea here and one the American people should all find common ground in.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

i will go along as long as we also get rid of the back-of-the-house lawyers, lobbyists, persuaders, and every other invisible policy-writer/ influence peddler that is employed to write thousand page legislation that nobody in office reads.

to me, those are a bigger problem than the puppets on the stage.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I look at the government as a big corporation.

The corporation has plenty of corruption through the ranks, and plenty of people whom truely are trying to be a decent worker.

so, lets consider this clean sweep...you go in and one day you fire everyone...from the CEO to the janitor...you hire a hoard of new people.

consider the absolute chaos that will insue...incredible chaos...nobody knows what they are doing, and suddenly lobbyists are everywhere..swarming.
these new workers have no clue how washington works, they are being swayed left and right.

good way to completely shut down the government for months if not years while we wait for the gov to get its sealegs.

aka, its not a option...and remember, no matter who you vote in, half the country will say they suck and need to be voted out. The reality is that overall the government is working as a perfect representation of the people in the nation. flat out. We get the government we deserve.

You want to make a difference in washington? then you need to make a difference in your local community. that is the only way things change.

swapping the label on a foul drink does not make the drink better, just makes a different label to blame for the drink.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
BRAVO!

Last election I did exactly what you're mentioning. Of course, I'm only one man, but there was only one person that I voted for that already held public office. The only reason I voted for him was because the newcomer was a total TOOL regarding some subjects I carry a strong opinion on (non of which are "party-based", BTW).

[edit on 14-8-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

There are a lot of people calling for re-calls and sovereignty all over the US. Many say the same thing, just vote them in vote them out.
I like the Recall idea best because it actually shows the power of the people. However, we need to stop being lazy and start investigating the people who FILE for the opportunity to run in the general elections for all offices. They have to do full disclosure, similar to how we the people have to -
1) Do resumes and cover letters
2) Preliminary and secondary interviews
3) Full security clearance background checks - after all they are supposed to know how to handle Top Secret Documents right?
4) Insurances - heck, let's get a return on our investments since we are the ones putting up all the monies that they keep wiping their butts with.

If we have to do all of this plus drug tests, then why can't they?
Power is with the people, all they have to do is stop buying the Public Relations Games!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Why wait till the election?
If people are really concerned and want to stop their elected officials dead in their tracks, start a RECALL and demand a special election.
A recall will bring home your elected official from Washington to defend their seat and stop their voting in any more changes.
This all depends on how serious people are and how involved people are willing to get.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Great idea!! One I've been saying for quite some time. A local radio station made up a "Pink Slip" to give to our Democratic House Rep telling him that he's fired as of the 2010 elections for not listening to his constituents. I, along with many others, mailed him a signed copy. These clowns just don't get it and instead we get accused of being some right-wing terror movement, which is ludicrous. Is it a crime to demand your country not be sold down the river by a bunch of thieves and fools? Apparently, it is to the likes of Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer and Harry Reid.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TSZodiac

Respectfully disagree.I think it's a start. We can't get everything done right away without major revolt. Lets try to do this within the bounds of existing laws.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

McCain Feingold addressed this same issue. Limit spending on campaigns, voting doesn't cost a darn thing. Campaigning shouldn't be something done only by millionaires either.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by admriker444

Then we vote those bas$#@% out and do it again! C'mon! We still have control over this country, it's time we started acting like we are in charge!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Not if you run as an independant. You just need signatures. I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

There are some that say shutting down the government would probably do more good than harm.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaWhiz

True.

Next time I get a job though, I'm going to keep my birth records sealed!

Recalls may be the way to go though. It is non-partisan and within the legal bounds of our country.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Right, exactly, in not a single citizen votes then no one can take office can they? It almost doesn't matter because in this country you have to play the game to even get on the ballet and very few non-puppets can even get elected to Congress...

So let's have no one vote so that not a single crook from any party can be elected. Then we the people pick some non-puppet citizens who actually care for the Constitution and the well being and liberty of the American people and put them in office. Then Congress will actually be able to get things done and start passing legislation that cuts the puppet strings from which we hang...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I understand your position, and viewed in a vaccuum I think it sounds like a great plan...and I agree with you that money is the biggest problem. You may be able to remove one or two elected officials with an orchestrated and concerted effort - but the task is really Herculean in nature. I just don't believe that TPTB will allow any attempt to remove a significant number of elected officials (within the rule of law or out) - you, at that point, would become a threat to the established power structure and the full weight of the Government would fall on you.
A better and easier plan might be to get the largest group of like-minded people possible to move into a single voting district, establishing a voting block large enough to control the local elections and begin to change from there. It might be possible - if the group was large enough - to take control of the vote in a small state (Delaware, NH, Rhode Island, etc.) and then you have a real voice and can make change happen from within the system.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Excellent idea but you have to remember it's not just about votes it's also about who they know and what they can do. Totally agree however with your idea though.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Great thread, I think "we the people" need to start discussing our options...

But I have an issue with trying to remove all incumbents, don't they have staggered terms, or don't we have elections every two years for congress and senate, but their terms are longer, which means even if you got rid of, say, Washington States senator, Californias senator wouldnt be up for re election for two more years? Making it impossible to remove everyone in one election.

That to me would be the biggest problem with the "remove them all idea" The new congressmen and senators would have a full 2 years to be "contaminated" by the remaining lawmakers, Lobbyist etc.. Not to mention how difficult it would be to keep a grass roots movement rolling for 2-6 years.

True it would send a shot across the bow, but would it really change anything?

I like the recall Idea, if you could organise well enough you could really slow them down, imagine if when lawmakers returned to D.C. this fall to vote in the Health Care Bill and have to turn right back around to fight in a recall election
Do that over 20-30 states...Pushing the bill would suddenly become backseat to getting re elected.....

Anywho, like I said, its good time Americans start discussing our options to turn this Titantic around. Thanks for the discussion OP

S&F'd

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join