It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Fighters of All Time!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned.

Jack Johnson.

en.wikipedia.org...(boxer)

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I did.

He's often overlooked, and I'm not sure why. Talk about a guy who thumbed his nose at the man.

Peace

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wow! Great thread!

Mine are:

1) Tyson. In his prime he was simply GREAT. No socks, no robe, just a towel with a hole in it over his shoulders. The way he RAN, and I mean RAN across the ring at the sound of the bell to destroy his opponent. Remember the Spinks fight? I've never seen anyone admit openly how scared they were of their opponent. Spinks went on record showing his fear. Then he went down in 93 seconds. How about against Razor Ruddick? Tyson hit him so hard in the body that he literally lifted him off the floor. Tyson under Cuss Dimato was utterly the unstoppable force. If not for Robin Givens, and Don King he would without a doubt be the scariest, best, greatest fighter of all time. Check out this video Tysons Knockout reel

2) Ali. What can you say? He brought boxing into the lime light. Yep. He claimed to be the greatest. He just might be.

3) Hagler. That man was an animal in the ring.

4) Jones Jr. - WOW! What a fighter.

5) Marciano. Talk about a tough son of a gun who only wanted to win.

There are so many more, but that is my top 5.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I am still sticking by my mma guys but if we are talking strictly boxing then where do you guys put Lennox Lewis?
Growing up him and Tyson were my favourites and I couldn't wait for Tyson/Lewis to happen.
I think he even retired as champion and was a very sound boxer.
He picked alot of guys apart and was always patient(yet boring at times)
He only lost when he was complacent about an opponent.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Since I care nothing for mma, and know nothing of it, they're just outta luck...

Lennox Lewis is certainly in the conversations. Top ten to be sure...taking into account all the various weight classes...making the top ten is quite an accomplishment.

Lewis would rate 6 for me.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Now for a very unorthodox fighter who was very good, and fun as heck to watch how about Prince Naseem Hamed

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Great contributions guys...

Would would have thought fighting would be so fun?

OT

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Man I hate that guy!!
Cocky as hell and it took him forever to get to the ring.
I only ever watched him vs Kevin Kelly and man was i annoyed...especially after he won.LOL
In all fairness it was a nice punch.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned.

Jack Johnson.

en.wikipedia.org...(boxer)

Jack was strong....

but the training techniques were archaic...he would be at a great disadvantage matched with today's fighter...

maybe we could get um all in the DeLorean and have a pay per view tourney...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Wow! Great thread!

Mine are:

.......3) Hagler. That man was an animal in the ring.........

Hey thank you!

Regarding Hagler, didn't Sugar Ray get him, atleast close to his prime?

OT

[edit on 19-8-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

don't be so sure. they fought until it ended back then. as many rounds as it took. He had serious stamina and was a hell of a fighter.

I'd like to also add, out of respect for the man who helped train so many others, Glass Joe.

a legend in his own mind.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I haven't seen Chavez yet. That man was a fighter. Arguello. Amazing fighter. How can Duran not be mentioned? My list could go on for pages. I am a huge boxing fan.

More to come from me, but I'd like to see more from other fans.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
Regarding Hagler, didn't Sugar Ray get him, atleast close to his prime?

Hagler got robbed in that fight. There's probably five to ten major fights in my lifetime which I believed were fixed, that was one of them. Holyfield/Lewis 1 was another. No way Lewis won that fight.

Barring a knockout, those guys were gonna win.

Peace

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
If anyone wants to watch a good fight then look up Arturro Gatti vs Mickey Ward...they are all slugfests and keep you on the edge of the chair.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Tell me that Tyson couldn't have knocked out BUSTER in the first round. I have no inside info, don't pretend to. BUT. I think that the murderer named Don King (And yes King did murder somebody - do the research) told Mike that people were getting weary of spending big bucks to see a 1 round fight. I believe that King told Tyson to just take it to the jaw for several rounds to give the audience a show. Face it. Tyson would have absolutely destroyed him in a real fight. But after you let someone who can hit you, and Douglas got into the ring for a reason, over and over it will take it's toll.
Yes. I am still a believer that if the demons stopped chasing Tyson, and he had real human beings behind him, there would be NO ONE who would discredit him.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

There's a lot of controversy surrounding the fact that Tyson knocked Douglas out earlier in the fight, but a long count saved him. The rest is history.

That was a sad night for me on one hand, but on the other hand it was exciting because I never thought I'd see what I saw.

Peace

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
When i read fighters, i thought anyone who fought. Not just MMA or UFC. Here are who i think would be really good

Bruce Lee-He just always seems to kick butt
Chuck Norris-When he was younger
John Claude Van Dam-He was pretty skilled too
Kimbo Slice- Not good UFC, but a good street fighter
as for number 5...I'll go with M. Ali

[EDIT: for some typos]

[edit on 19-8-2009 by ShadowLife]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

A thread titled "Top Fighters of All Time" has resulted in the name of Kimbo Slice being mentioned. While I'm not a hater of the guy and actually rooting for him to do well in the upcoming season of TUF, he's not in the top 1,000 maybe even 10,000 fighters of all-time. He beat up a bunch of random people on the street and those videos went on YouTube. What has he done since? Beat a bum in James Thompson in a fight that he should have lost and he only won because EliteXC knew that when he lost that they were going belly up. Then he lost to a kid who wasn't good enough to make it on any other fight card within a few seconds of the opening bell.

This is a style of question that is as subjective as anything, but dropping the name Kimbo Slice in this conversation is absolutely ludicrous.

Maybe in the future we can look back on him and say he did good for himself. But at this point, he remains a never was.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Thank you.I didn't want to say it.
Hes not even that great a street fighter....he does backyard boxing.
When he fought Sean O'Gannon he was fighting an mma dude and he lost.
He also got beat by Seth Petrocelli in 15 seconds and that guy isn't close to being one of the best.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Reading about fights that were called the wrong way makes me want to mention Tommy the hit man Hearns. He isn't top 5 (maybe 50) but I always liked him and thought he got robbed against Leonard. Thought I got robbed too as it cost me some $$$.

There's a couple goodies who haven't been mentioned yet but I looked a few things up so I cheated and won't say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join