It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Fighters of All Time!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Top 5 Fighters of All Time!!!!

1) Strongest/fastest ever (at his weight atleast, wish he was less adventurous!!!)
ROY JONES Jr.

2) The greatest "of all times" as he said it, M. Ali

3) SR Leonard! Against all odd's he beat Marvelous MH.

4) The pretty boy, Floyd Meriweather, Jr.

5) The warrior.....and still fightin today...Mike tyson's nightmare..."the real deal Hooooooooolyfield"

= = = = =

OT

Sports fans. u out there? Am i wrong?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I like your list.

But, mine would be

1) Ali
2) Foreman
3) Joe Louis
4) Marciano
5) Tyson

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

You are TOOOOOOOOOOOO quick, just sent you a U2U

OT

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I like your list.

But, mine would be

1) Ali
2) Foreman
3) Joe Louis
4) Marciano
5) Tyson

i love the GM Grill, but remember Hoyfield beat big george sr.

OT

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Yeah, I know. But if it was up to me George would've stayed retired after '77.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
reply to post by OldThinker

Yeah, I know. But if it was up to me George would've stayed retired after '77.

He was just a big lug then, good for sure...

rope a dope, got him...!!

OT

u doing ok, now, what about big SHAQ in cle, think he'll help?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

g2g friend, to sleep...long week...

See ou tomorrow!~

OT

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Number One: Sugar Ray Robinson.

Number Two, or maybe OneA: Muhammad Ali.

Number Three: Joe Louis.

Number Four: Sugar Ray Leonard.

Number Five: Teofilo Stevenson, Cuba.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Just a couple thoughts, Rocky was undefeated in his professional career. That puts him right up there for me. Ali said he was the greatest the most, I dunno though.

1 Joe Lewis -Joe made a great statement

2 Jack Dempsey -Just scary, I like the way he worked. A maniac.

3 Ray Robinson -Should probably be higher up, just can't fault him.

4 Ali -just ask him

5 Rocky -who doesn't like Rocky? Another scary guy

There's a lot more but I had to pick 5 and I like the classics.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
1. Rocky Marciano

2. Joe Louis

3. Muhammed Ali

4. Mike Tyson

5. Sugar Ray Robinson

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't know how anyone can make a list without Tyson. Its not like he won fights, for a period of time he destroyed every competitor. He doesn't have the longevity as a lot of great fighters but for a period of time, there was nobody ever like him.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A fighters greatness is measured, IMHO, by how they react to losses. Tyson was never the same after Douglas knocked him silly...

The great ones come back, he never did.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Thats because he beat douglas 2 rounds earlier under the 99.9999999% enforced 10 count to a knock-out rule.

At any rate, I'll compile this list under the topic of "Hardest to defeat"

1. Ali for having such speed at the heavyweight level and dominating its best era past his prime.

2. Roy jones jr. because he made everyone look bad.

3. Tyson in his prime. He was just rare raw power and speed in one package. Had a very short window of a prime.

4. Marciano. Take rocky from the movies, give him an orthodox stance and a lot less clips of being knocked down. Tada.

5. Vitali Klitschko (uninjured and willing to fight). Size, reach and insane power. Only real heavyweight fighter left anymore and even that hinges on his health.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

They've been re-playing some of their best interviews on ESPN radio lately and Roy Jones Jr was on the other day. Great interview of a real warrior. Funny at times too, try to catch it if you can.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well when i think of fighters I automatically think of mma.
Boxing is a science but mma is a bit more complete in my opinion.
How long would Ali or any boxer last if taken off his feet and ground and pounded?
Fighting today is alot more then boxing so for that I don't get why nobody has listed any mma fighters.
I think Gracie in his prime would eat most boxers for dinner.
George St Pierre would mess alot of those guys up pretty quickly in my opnion as would alot of other mma fighters.
Just wondering why nobody has mentioned any mma fighters?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eitimzevinten
2. Roy jones jr. because he made everyone look bad.

The problem with Jones is that he never had the drive to become all he could have been. A gifted boxer who fought nothing but tomato-cans the last half of his career, and looked bad in the process. He could have moved down in weight and fought way better fighters, but IMO he was scared it might hurt his legacy, then he only moved up in weight to fight garbage he knew he could beat

3. Tyson in his prime. He was just rare raw power and speed in one package. Had a very short window of a prime.

In his prime he could have beaten all the greats in their primes I'd bet. He had most guys knocked out before they even stepped in the ring. Not sure anybody threw more devastating body punches than Tyson, or was more angry at the world.

I think Pacquiao deserves to be in the discussion. We haven't seen domination like this since Tyson in his prime, and he takes on all comers. He's embarrassed a lot of really great fighters. Jack Johnson and Joe Louis should also be in the top five definitely.

Peace

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I know people don't like to mess around with history and those that came before us are always shown in a bit of a brighter light than those with us today, but you can not talk about the best fighters in history without at least considering the sport of MMA. It has it's critics, but if someone is going to legitimately discuss this, then you would have to at the very least consider it.

Fighting is the art of physical contact. Considering boxing is so one dimensional, I could easily argue that only a couple of boxers would even make the top 10 list of greatest fighters of all-time.

With th evolution of the "ground game" with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and other techniques, a one-dimensional boxer would never stand a chance in a fight against someone with a well rounded arsenal of a Georges St-Pierre or an Anderson Silva.

My top 5? (In no particular order...)

• Mike Tyson
  • Anderson Silva
  • Royce Gracie
  • Muhammad Ali
  • Georges St-Pierre

The only name on that list that I think could even be argued is Georges St-Pierre and only on the fact that he is still young and has a very long way to go. But what he has accomplished in this short period of time and the absolute domination he has shown in the process, I believe his name already belongs in the mix.

Mike Tyson is arguably the greatest ever and I think had his personal troubles not got in the way, it wouldn't even be a discussion. The only name I put next to his would be Royce Gracie. If you disagree, do some research and approach it with an open-mind.. then come back and share your thoughts.

[edit on 8-18-2009 by chissler]

• posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:37 AM
    link   
    Yeah greatness is different things for different people. To be honest the greatest fighters for me are some of the guys from the area I grew up in. I don't think most of them would have lasted too long in the ring with a pro but given the arena they competed in, they were pretty darned impressive.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:59 PM
    link   
    1- Ali
    2- Marciano
    3- Dempsey
    4- Joe Louis
    5- Sugar Ray Leonard.

One that may make this list in the future........ Manny Pacquiao.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:24 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Dr LoveNot sure anybody threw more devastating body punches than Tyson, or was more angry at the world.

Have you seen the Tyson movie? I watched it a few days ago. Talks about his life and why he was angry. Some dude ripped the head off his pigeon one time.

Anyway, great movie if you're into Tyson. Or boxing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join