It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can we be alone?.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I truly think I would be more shocked to discover, we are the soul inhabitants of the entire Universe...

Let’s examine the famous Hubble Ultra Deep Field image, the most massive photo ever taken:

Right now, on your computer screen, are approximately 10,000 galaxies.

Each of those galaxies contains anywhere from ten million to one trillion stars.

The average star is roughly a million times the size of Earth.

And yet, with all that junk, the Universe is more than 90 percent empty space.

All of that, in this tiny photo. A photo that took 400 orbits and 800 exposures to take.

The photo covers one thirteen-millionth of the entire night sky.

Mind boggling

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Seventh

What I've always found pretty interesting is that we didn't realize those fuzzy blobs were actually other galaxies until Hubbell figured it out in the 1920s. Until then, we thought the Milky Way was it.

Now we're finding solar systems are ubiquitous. Of course there's intelligent life out there. Life capable of building civilizations? I think that's a pretty safe bet. Capable of being able to transcend time and space and visit us? Well that is the question isn't it? The incredible distances is really the only good reason to doubt alien visitation.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Seventh

Yea, that image says it all in my humble opinion. That is only a VERY small portion of the observable Universe as well. There is no likely or probable way in my opinion (and many others) that we are the only lifeform in the Universe, and very likely not the only intelligent life either.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Seventh

There is NO way that we are alone. We have NEVER been alone.

Just look outside your window, you will see them.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I recently visited a newly built storage in Sweden which is going to be used for nuclear waste.

We went as far as 450 meters underground in the mountain and down there lives tiny microbes which had lived their earthly lives for several hundred millions of years inside.

Point is that they live in the mountain without oxygen or light...

So yes, of course there´s life out there and lots of it, the big question is just in what stage of evolution they´re in?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Alot of people think we are alone simply because they cannot comprehend the immense distances and numbers of galaxies/stars out there. I bet if they would understand the scales involved they would see that the probability of us not being alone is pretty much 100%.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
How is this small marble the only thing to have intelligent life in the whole universe?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
We are definately the only 'soul' inhabitants of the universe

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Seventh

How, why, when, where, yada yada yada, you might as well be a coast to coast am commercial promo starring Leonard Nimoy.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Originally posted by Razimus
reply to post by Seventh

How, why, when, where, yada yada yada, you might as well be a coast to coast am commercial promo starring Leonard Nimoy.

Shouldn`t you be over at the WoW forums whining about DK`s OP`ness?.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Seventh

How can we be alone?

We're not... and we have never been.

There on a pier once stood Christopher Columbus, with a great sea before him. The problem was never the will or the basic theory to get it all underway. It was always about political courage and, of course, money.

HG Wells once noted that the future of humanity was [then] based solely on the amount of cash that could be immediately raised to will it all into being.

We are a shortsighted species... measuring possibility by the length of the dollar bill.

In one sense, we deserve whatever we get... or perhaps, what we don't.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
And to think that they aimed the Hubble at a part of space where they thought nothing was going on. They didn't see anything, but they thought, "What the hell! Let's try it anyway!".

Unbelieveable

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
And to think that they aimed the Hubble at a part of space where they thought nothing was going on. They didn't see anything, but they thought, "What the hell! Let's try it anyway!".

Unbelieveable

And that very fact, the unique curiosity of human beings is why I still have hope. The "what if" aspect that we ALL have, the ability to take a step into the unknown and take chances, chances as we saw from this experiment, that can lead to wondrous things.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

Unbelieveable

if you stand on the moon and look at your fingernail...
-thats how big the picture taken is!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Seventh

i think ive only ever heard of 1 scientist who thinks we are alone in the entire universe.

The overwhelming majority think we are not alone its a question of how common and what distances other civs will be from us. If the nearest civ is 1 billion light years away how will we ever detect them or communicate with them? If this is the case we may aswell be alone.

But the question "are we alone?" still stands we have no proof of life on other planets and no proof that other civs exist. These are questions astronomers/astrobiologists strive to answer. With repeatable testable evidence.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
Alot of people think we are alone simply because they cannot comprehend the immense distances and numbers of galaxies/stars out there. I bet if they would understand the scales involved they would see that the probability of us not being alone is pretty much 100%.

I don't know your defintion of "a lot", but in my experience, I think a majority of people think that out there in space, somewhere, the are other intelligent creatures...and definitely virtually all scientists say that they think it is very probable that intelligent life exists somewhere else in the universe.

I remember a poll done a few years ago that said 60% of Americans think that intelligent life exists elsewhere. However, that's not to say that 60% believe that aliens are visiting the earth -- that is a separate question entirely.

The vastness of space and the discovery that solar systems seem ubiquitous is enough evidence for me to feel that life -- even intelligent life -- probably exists elsewhere in our universe, or even in our galaxy. However, I don't feel the same amount of evidence exists for me to believe that those aliens are visiting the Earth (although my mind is open to that possibility).

[edit on 8/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
How can we be alone? It's easy. It may very well be that the particular circumstances that allowed life to develop on Earth are so unlikely that they never happened anywhere else, ever.

We currently have no idea how a bunch of lifeless chemicals can "form themselves" into a living creature that can replicate and have a point of view. We just don't. And unless we can figure out how that happened, we have no idea if it could happen anywhere else. It may have just been an extremely rare fluke that only happened once in the history of the universe, so far.

And just because the universe is big doesn't automatically mean there has to be life elsewhere. Take the Moon, for instance. It formed as a result of a huge number of rare and singular events, probably like life did on Earth. Do you think that because the universe it big, there's another completely identical Moon out there somewhere? There may be, but it's very improbable.

There are rare and even singular things, you know. The formation and existence of life, here on Earth, could easily be one of them. And you can consider that opinion as either "arrogant," or "sad," depending on your own point of view.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
However, if the universe is truly infinite, then no matter how small the likelihood is that life will develop, the infinite nature of the universe guarantees that those exact conditions will be met again.

Originally posted by Nohup
How can we be alone? It's easy. It may very well be that the particular circumstances that allowed life to develop on Earth are so unlikely that they never happened anywhere else, ever.

We currently have no idea how a bunch of lifeless chemicals can "form themselves" into a living creature that can replicate and have a point of view. We just don't. And unless we can figure out how that happened, we have no idea if it could happen anywhere else. It may have just been an extremely rare fluke that only happened once in the history of the universe, so far.

And just because the universe is big doesn't automatically mean there has to be life elsewhere. Take the Moon, for instance. It formed as a result of a huge number of rare and singular events, probably like life did on Earth. Do you think that because the universe it big, there's another completely identical Moon out there somewhere? There may be, but it's very improbable.

There are rare and even singular things, you know. The formation and existence of life, here on Earth, could easily be one of them. And you can consider that opinion as either "arrogant," or "sad," depending on your own point of view.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
We are definately the only 'soul' inhabitants of the universe

Autowrench:
Yep, and the Moon is made of green cheese too. What makes you think are are all alone here, in our little corner of Space, in a small Galaxy near a medium grade Star, with all of that expanse out there? Learn that in church, did you?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
it is truly mind boggeling! i did some math based on the "shrink the visible universe down to the size of a golf ball" theory, and came up with some figuers. ihave no doubt we are alone. its just too big! im not being naive, it's just not possible....
have a look at these numbers(relevant to this thread)

note that this is if speed of light is constant throughout the universe and time does not slow down, or accelerate, but is seen from an observers point of view on say...earth...
check it out
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join