It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese essay sparks outcry in India

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Chinese essay sparks outcry in India

www.ft.com

“China can dismember the so-called ‘Indian Union’ with one little move!” claimed the essay posted last week on China International Strategy Net, a patriotic website focused on strategic issues.

“There cannot be two suns in the sky,” wrote Zhanlue. “China and India cannot really deal with each other harmoniously.” The article suggested that India should be divided into 20 to 30 sovereign states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
For some reason, India-China tensions don't get much play in the Western media (or the Asian media, for that matter), but they exist. Two nations, each with a population of over one billion, each experiencing fast-paced economic growth and massive poverty at the same time...is a clash inevitable?

Don't forget, as recently as 1963, there was a war between India and China. While I don't expect another anytime soon, I could see tensions between these two rising powers tossing a monkeywrench into world affairs.

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Does India think it can defeat China in a war?

Doubtful, yet if China tries to invade Indians might stand a chance.

Other than that they'd be done right?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
In such a conflict, the aggressor would be the loser.

Also, the practice of taunting nations into conflict is just evil.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I've been to China prior to westernisation and studied the language and culture for 20 years - India can say what it wants - it is light years behind China - it recently conducted its first space walk - something only America has achieved and sent its first man into space in 1968 - Indias first manned mission to space is planned for 2017 - in fact their first lunar mission failed as the sensors were radiated (pretty basic stuff).

There are often comparisons between these two nations and that is just guff of the highest order - China is literally half a century ahead of India - they would not stand a chance.

China has been growing at 17% for almost 20 years - India at around 7% for less than 10 - China is expected to exceed the US by 2020 as the global driver of manufacturing, consumption, GDP and every other stat worth thinking of - their defense spending is stated at being around 10% of what experts really think it is.

China will also overtake the US within 10-20 as the absolute superpower in military capacity on current trends - the Indians are simply a backwater relative to the Chinese. Further the Indians have NEVER enjoyed any sort of global dominance or status, rather they have been dominated their entire existence - the Chinese have dominated the largest part of the world for longer than any other nation - they were the only real global super power for almost 5000 years.

The Chinese also have a VERY strict non expansionist policy - there are nations that many consider outside of China (Tibet, Taiwan) however they have actually been part of the country for thousands of years - they will not invade any other country - simply not their way - they believe STRONGLY in the middle kingdom - Zhong Guo or middle land. Their characters for their nation are an arrow going though a target - and earth (a field) meaning middle of the world - the middle country - they DO NOT SEEK EXPANSION -

The point of this essay highlights exactly what the British (and later US)did in the middle east, the Balkans, caucuses, and every where else divide and conquer - a separate nation is is easier to dominate than a powerful one.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

No one would start an outright war, not at this age. If tension exists they won't send armies but would rather start proxy wars against each other. Neither India nor China would be stupid enough to start a war anywhere because they know other powers are waiting for an opportunity to rid the influence of future powers. No doubt China and India are both future powers.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time before we saw something like this.

For those who think that war cannot break out "In this day and age" Are sadly mistaken. All throughout human history that thought process has ended with disastrous results.

This could potentially begin a regional cold war. Both sides have massive populations and are nuclear armed. Both countries are trying to expand their economies and influence globally. Both are trying to develop their space capabilities. ETC.

Sound familiar?

Hopefully they will take a few pages from American and Soviet cold war history and skip all the little proxy wars.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt the U.S would try and start a war between theses two countries. Two birds with one stone.

Might even spill into Russia,Pakistan,Iran...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

Dont forget China has no oil.

Funny how everybody forgets that little tidbit when they start pounding the China is the next end all be all. Yes your stats are accurate but and it's a very big BUT...

They will also be at the mercy of oil producing countries more so than the US has been.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This reminded me of another thread that mentioned tension that could lead to war between India and China.

"3 Overlooked Causes for World War III"

Originally posted by thelibra
China, faced with an imminent food and water crisis, has proposed, approved, and begun the South-North Water Transfer Project (南水北调工程) to divert many rivers to increase its arable land capacity. The Brahmaputra River is one of the rivers chosen for diversion. Currently it feeds into eastern India, and is a vital source of water and tributaries there. If diverted, eastern India will be in an immediate water crisis, both for drinking and farming, and roughly a million people stand to lose their home, lives, or both.

Two billion people throwing nukes at each other sounds like a pretty big catastrophe to me. :-(

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Even considering the fact that China doesn't have any oil to dril (although I'm not so sure about that...apparently America doesn't either) China is on a course of economic par-excellence the likes I'm not sure have ever been seen.

They are literally the masters of their own destiny at this point.

Of course that 'excellence' comes on the backs and sweat of what amounts to 18th century slavery here in the US, but it remains.

I don't have much else to say. A war between India and China would be catastrophic, but rest assured, China would prevail.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Even considering the fact that China doesn't have any oil to dril (although I'm not so sure about that...apparently America doesn't either)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce0810f657a3.gif[/atsimg]

Source

Before 1993 China's oil production was enough to meet domestic demands. However, last year nearly half of the country's oil consumption was reliant on imports.

By becoming a net oil importer 15 years ago, China's fuel imports has seen accelerated growth in the past years. In 2004 the figure surpassed 100 million tons, up by 35 percent from a year earlier.

Analysts said that there is no doubt that China's oil import will continue to see rapid increase in the long term. According to a recent report by Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), 64.5 percent of the country's oil consumption is likely to be met by imports in 2020.

The gap between domestic consumption and production is the main cause for the increase in imports. Statistics with CASS showed that China's oil production is expected to reach 177 to 198 million tons in 2010, and the figure would reach 182 to 200 million tons in 2015.

China's oil production will see gradual decline after 2020, said CASS.

Analysts said that China should further diversify its oil importing sources to ensure sustainable supplies. At present the Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific are the three main regions for Chinese oil imports.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 14-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by audas

Dont forget China has no oil.

Funny how everybody forgets that little tidbit when they start pounding the China is the next end all be all. Yes your stats are accurate but and it's a very big BUT...

They will also be at the mercy of oil producing countries more so than the US has been.

Hmm - except of course that is not at all true - I find it amusing the way people latch on to some falsehood and never, ever, ever even bother to check it out -

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

Another billion tons here

www.chinamining.org...

And although on the whole they will have to rely on external resources - every country in world relies on others for resources - Chinas approach has been one of mutual benefit rather than opportunistic imperialism of UK - US towards the middle east and south america - hence China has secured the primary deals in for oil extraction in Iraq - prompting the US withdrawal AKA surrender AKA failure.

China as most people know is also doing massive deals with Iran and lesser known are there relations with Venezuela - of course people are aware of the BRIC compact with Brazil and China and Russia are doing huge deals at the highest levels - NONE of this is news - nor is their excellent relationship with African countries who are seeking to divest themselves of imperialistic and nefarious relationships with traditional oil giants - NOTE WELL Nigeria and the Delta are ready to kick shell out for good !

China may not have all teh resources she requires - but she has a VEEEEEERY different approach to the US and UK model which is totally finished. They are snapping everything up ESPECIALLY RARE EARTH METALS which form the back bone of emerging technology in electric cars - they own 99% of the worlds known resources in the department - the majority being their own, but have also secured Australia's vast deposits.

Hence the Chinese energy situation is considerably more secured than that of the US or UK long term, and of course India, their relationship with the dependent nation is significantly more secure through a mutual respect and equal footing rather than the conquest, competitive strategy of the west. And finally the world has clearly signaled the move to electric cars as the future of transportation - and China has this almost entirely sown up.

So on the whole although an issue of sorts- nothing like what you have posted - especially the shibboleth of no resources.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
they own 99% of the worlds known resources in the department - the majority being their own, but have also secured Australia's vast deposits.

Could we get a source for that statistic please

thanks in advance.

Slay

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Even considering the fact that China doesn't have any oil to dril (although I'm not so sure about that...apparently America doesn't either)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce0810f657a3.gif[/atsimg]

These figures include imports - production if by US COMPANIES - this includes American companies operating in middle east oil fields.....hmmmm. Its like saying the UK - Dutch have vast supplies because shell is producing large quantities in Nigeria.

Saudi Arabia has largest known reserves by a country mile - sorry mate - that is simply dishonest what you have put up relevant to the discussion -

www.cia.gov...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

they own 99% of the worlds known resources in the department - the majority being their own, but have also secured Australia's vast deposits.

Could we get a source for that statistic please

thanks in advance.

Slay

This is old - stands at 95%

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

recent acquisitions have pushed beyond this - there are other reserves in south america not being produced.

And Another source at 95%
business.timesonline.co.uk...

Again - sources here in Australia literally CAN NOT FIND ANY OTHER SOURCES and are putting it at 99% market corner.

Anything else mate ?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

- sorry mate - that is simply dishonest what you have put up relevant to the discussion -

There is nothing dishonest about it.

Apparently you're the victim of your own propaganda. That's the percentage of domestic production. Read it again. the rest is what we import.

Also nice link do you have any real data to support your information?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Saudi Arabia has largest known reserves by a country mile - sorry mate - that is simply dishonest what you have put up relevant to the discussion -

There is nothing dishonest about it.

Apparently you're the victim of your own propaganda. That's the percentage of domestic production. Read it again. the rest is what we import.

Also nice link do you have any real data to support your information?

Read what is written under the title of your own post - IMPORTS - it says it in plain English.

Oh and I think a link to two of the most reputable newspapers there are is stats enough mate - you are drawing long bows because you are wrong.

I wasn't joking when I stated my credentials on this issue - 20 years, been there, lived there speak the language -

Oh - and if you look at my post - you will see the stats for where China and America sit relative to the discussion at hand - domestic resources - well, well, well -

cheers again.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by audas]

[edit on 14-8-2009 by audas]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You could have at least stuck around to admit you were wrong.

Oh well.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

The pie chart I posted shows what the US produces and imports.

I was referring to your cheap jab about me being dishonest.
OK you are getting confused. It seems you just want to argue instead of discussing it. Reread it again. Pal.

My Mate is asleep in the other room.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join