It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Praying to test deities or other entities... power of suggestion, wishing, creating your reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I am an atheist and a skeptic, but I have a little experiment... I am going to make a list of every good and evil deity I can think of, and pray to each one for three nights each (or maybe just one night each, if the list is huge.) If any grant my wish, I will continue wishing and investigating the extent and consistency to which it works.

What would be a good thing to ask to start with? Not so implausible that there is no chance, but not so easy that it could happen by accident. I want to start off seeing if any of these supernatural beings can even "tip the odds".

I was thinking maybe like "let me see a platypus tomorrow". I haven't seen a platypus on tv or online for years, but there is always a chance of it. Or should I just roll dice while praying 50 times for each deity and see if it can influence the results?

So basically I want from you guys:
- Prayer suggestions
- Any supernatural entities you want me to try. I've got obvious stuff covered like God (in general), Jehovah/Yahweh, Jesus, Mohammed, Lucifer, Buddha, The Universe itself.... etc etc... plus I will throw in a few control tests like Flying Spaghetti Monster, Michael Jackson, Colonel Sanders, etc.
- Any other tips as to how I should go about it

If I have any substantial results or experiences, I'll post here to let everyone know.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Perhaps you should just write a letter to Santa Claus.

That's not what spirituality and faith is about.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, I normally would just read and not post to this sort of thing, but since I'm on the first page I'll sum up a good idea for you.

If considering a(n) entity(ies) exist, it would be polite not to insist they do something that is GREATLY in your benefit. So what if he/she/they have you to 'know' they exist and have some control in our subjective universe. So?

We don't go before kings and tell them, "if you're REALLY the king, give me $100 and we'll call it a deal. Because then I'll know you're the king, oh yeah!"

Nevertheless, despite my beliefs (which include not condemning yours, or your openness) I would find any results interesting.

suggestion: ask them to alter 'your' reality, something in the vicinity. Street lamp on? ask them to turn it off. Digits on a clock, ect. This way there is no personal material gain. Give each the same amount of time, same procedures, mannerisms, ect.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well according to George Carlin Joe Pesci is the man you want to be praying to.

But If you are going to do something like this you should really be praying for something that could not possibly happen by chance alone, otherwise you wouldn't be able to properly discern it from natural occurrences.

Perhaps Like gain the ability to fly or have 1 million (whatever currency) in your account the next morning.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'll get biblical and pray to a Golden Calf, you might get better results

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'm sure studies have been done in the past and they found that praying does not work. I could have told them that and saved lots of money.

For an accurate study you would need lots of volunteers or alot of time to pray hundreds or thousands of times. Just make sure you keep the requests simple. Don't go gambling on someones life like Mr Neumann.

current.com...

A US jury has found a man guilty of killing his ill 11-year-old daughter by praying for her recovery rather than seeking medical care.
The man, Dale Neumann, told a court in the state of Wisconsin he believed God could heal his daughter.

new topics

top topics

join