It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for Aggravated Scribbling With the Intent to...Scribble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
They say that the pen is mightier than the sword, but one never thought that metaphor would cause the pen to be the means to arrest!

In Portland Oregon, a 60 year old man was arrested for scribbling over the names of 8 people on a Mayoral Recall Petition as a sign of protest.

Man Arrested, Accused of Defacing Mayoral Recall Petition

Granted, it's just 3rd Degree Criminal Mischief, but then why did the police arrest him instead of just citing him? I guess the police needed to get this pen-wielding thug off the streets for the safety of the public. (At least they didn't Tazer him, that's a positive twist!)

Jason Wurster, leader of the Recall effort was quoted as saying:

"A lot of people feel that it's acceptable to harass people exercising their right to participate in the democratic process. Intimidation and fear is not how our democratic process works. It's the antithesis of it."

That's exaggerating things a little isn't it? It's not like he's threatening the volunteers gathering signatures for the petition, or refusing to let them assemble and harass passersby! His response was far kinder than someone shoving the volunteer or slamming a door in their face, or telling them where they can shove their petition!

However, we are sticklers for our Laws, and apparently defacing government documents is punishable under Oregon Statutes, in this case Chapter 260 - Campaign Finance Regulation; Election Offenses - Sub-Section 260.567 - Alteration of information on petition signature sheet. So technically he's in violation of the law, even though the spirit of the law is to protect against fraud, not from scribbling.

Still, could you imagine how this went down?

"10-Baker-9, dispatch, we've got a 260567 in progress. Suspect last seen leaving Albina Community Bank heading eastbound in a late-model sedan with vanity License Plate BORN FREE"

"WTF is a 260567?"

"Aggravated scribbling and run"

"That's a Code 3, Dispatch. We're on it and are inbound! Please notify SWAT to be on standby!"

Just let that be a lesson for you when the Federal Census Takers give you your Census forms to fill out! If scribbling on a Municipal Petition can land you in jail, imagine what scribbling on a Federal Census Form will do!

[edit on 13-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think it's just an unfortunate sign of the times. The power given to people in petty positions is designed to make them feel 'important'; which in this oppressive society means they should oppress. They should push their chest out, and show the world how much power they have; just as one of the Elites........ Little do they realize at some point they'll be on the real receiving end.

I feel for that old man. I know it started as an argument, and surely progressed as this, or that cop 'ordered' him in the conversation.......rather than just being polite, understanding, and just trying to convince him he made his point; so just leave.

Star, and flag.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks Frat. I think it's pretty silly. But ya know, if you do the crime....

I agree with sancho that sometimes people are put in to positions and think somehow that gives them more power than the average joe. In a way, I envy the guy for having the balls to do this thing he's done...even though a small one. he did SOMETHING.

The cops really didn't need to take him in though. I wonder if he was being a jerk?

Either way, I guess he knew what he was doing.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Wow, what an awful day for that guy..lol... He should have recieved a ticket, but no jail time or anything.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have a different take on this matter. In my home state, if there is an irregularity on any line of a petition such as this, the entire page is discarded. In effect, that disenfranchises all who had previously signed. It may be different in that state, but perhaps not. He certainly did intend to do this to the eight names he crossed off.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
He is lucky he wasn't taser-tortured to death.

This is America; You get killed for simple things.

Sharpen your Rifles - You all know what's coming.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
In my little hick town some guy wrote with chalk on the sidewalk and the po-po went nuts. The police were trying to say that what was written was a death threat to someone since the writing was on the sidewalk near the police station. I got the chance to see what was written.

The cries of the innocent
will be avenged.

OMG CALL TEH BOMB SQUAD!!!11

new topics

top topics

join