It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble sees 'planet' around star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Just thought you ppl would find this interesting.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Exciting times regarding space, we seem to be discovering quite a lot just recently.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Nice news find!

(sigh) I wish our space travel were at a better stage or the stars were closer. I have always wanted to explore other planets.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
that's awesome! hopefully it is a planet, and not just a background image.

with all the exoplanets that have been discvered being several times the mass of jupiter i would have thought it would put an end to the thought of jupiter being a failed star.

but what could be interesting is, that such a large body still has to put out a ton of radiation. far more than jupiter at least. if we had a better telescope, it would be amazing to find earth, or even jupiter sized, moons orbiting it.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Hi Byrd, cmdrkeenkid.

I agree, it would be great if Hubble were able too 'zoom' in on distant planets, so we could get a better view of them, instead of the fuzzy images were currently getting, cant moan though, Hubble does an amazing job.

I think i read somewhere there were plans for a more powerful telescope to be put in orbit, if true imagine what that may reveal

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I really hope this turns out to be true, maybe it will help publicise Hubble and make a servicing mission more likely

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Popeye

I really hope this turns out to be true, maybe it will help publicise Hubble and make a servicing mission more likely

More importantly if this does turn out to be the first planet directly obeservable by hubble then it bodes well for the next generation of space telescopes the first of which goes up in 2007. The true universe is gonna be unveiled soon and its gonna be shocking i think.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh *bounces* Kooly! I'd LOVE to see some pictures of exoplanets! Do you think they'll get any? ^____________^

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Luckily they found this just AFTER the announcement that our government in their infinite wisdom has decided to let the Hubble crash & burn.

jra

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This could be really cool if it turns out to be a planet. I know it's probably hard focusing on a planet so far away, but maybe once they determine its exact location, they might be able to focus in on it better (if it turns out to be a planet). It sure would be sweet to see a clearer picture of a world that's not in our solar system.

top topics

join