It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you afraid of dying???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Afraid of death ?
No .
It would just be like going to sleep or being knocked unconscious depending on the circumstances .
Difference being you don't wake up .
The dead know not anything ....

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I don't know what there is to be afraid of, if there is just "nothingness". It's not as though you'll be sitting there feeling nothingness. You won't exist. If you don't believe in reincarnation or an afterlife, then you came from a time of nonexistence. That wasn't so bad, was it? No, because you had no notion of it. You just didn't exist. Then gradually you came to realize that you do exist. And, if there is nothing after death, then you won't exist and won't know you don't exist.

I don't fear death. I believe that the personality continues after death, though I have no solid evidence to support that belief. I'm perfectly fine with ceasing to exist. I have two worries, though. The first is living in some awful state for years - such as having Alzheimer's or a disabling stroke or other illness, dragging on for a long time. The other worry I have is, what if I have to come back and do it all over again, because I didn't finish all my lessons? Yikes! I didn't much care for life this time around. I really don't want to have to do all that over again.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Fear of death no, but I WANT to live. So no matter what, i dont want to die. (so far anyway)

My views on death. Can you remember before you were 'living'? No. Did it seem scary? No. I think we go back to that stage, the same existance as that before we were living.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Here is my reply from another similar thread :

Fear of death is absolutely normal (isn't it call "survival instinct" ?)

Fears are irrational thoughts. Emotions. To overcome your fear of death, you have to analyse death. To approach it with logic.

What is feared in the fear of death ? Suffering ? The idea that the world will continue without you ? Fear of being judged ?

- Suffering : Suffering is not death. You may fear to suffer, but actually death will be the end of suffering.
So death should not be feared as pain.

- The idea that the world will continue without you : Two cases are possible. Either the soul continues to exists and you will continue to exist with the world. Either such a thing as soul doesn't exists and death is the end of your identity. So you won't "feel" like the world continues without you. You won't "feel" anymore. Furthermore, you will always continue to exist in this world, AS this world ; through your children, through your atoms shattered accross the globe.
So death should not be feared as "ceasing to exist"

- Fear of being judged : This is probably the main reason someone should actually fear death. When you die, you will have to face your past life. Your actions on this Earth will be put in perspective, either by a judging God, either by the concept of karma, either by yourself (remorse, guilt, ...). Many religions and philosophies revolve around this idea, more than the concept of life after death. To overcome this, you should live your life to make yourself proud of it. To not face remorse, guilt, to not live through what you have done to others.
So if you feel you have done "reasonably well" with your life, death/judgment/remorse should not be feared. Otherwise it is time to change ;-)

Edit : Oh and don't believe a "quick death" will allow you to skip that stage of the journey. That your brain will be death before. When you reach the realm of death, there will be no more thing such as "time", so even the microseconds of your death will be enough to experience it, believe me.

Finally, and probably the most important, fear of death is also fear of the unknown. Hopefully for humans, there exist possibities to experience the realm of death while living. It is called "Ego Death". Reasearch about it and you will discover it is possible to acheive that state. Either via meditation (some call it "enlightment"), that road is long and tedious, but very rewarding. Either via entheogens, such as '___', salvia and others, which is a catapult to ego death but if you haven't done your homeworks before, it may be too much to handle for your mind (like a catapult, there are no brakes, no steering wheel :-) ).

What I can tell you about death is that I was like you. I feared it because I knew nothing about it. Then I found that death is actually very well documented through history (not surprising as humans die since their origin ?). Reads like the tibetan book of death and NDE experiences will teach you universal truths about death, set aside the cultural differences. And one day I experienced ego death. I didn't see my life, past actions, etc (It wasn't my time yet. I guess it's a privilege for the final moment), but I experienced what is "to cease to exist". It's not like there's nothing. It's more like "you" isn't important anymore. "You" are everything, and eveything is you. It cannot be translated with words, but "I" was dead, and I wasn't. I guess that's what death is (thats what many report it to be).

Since then, I'm not affraid to die anymore. I'm just affraid to feel regrets that day. So I live my life to the best I can (one other common experiences with NDE).

Peace ;-) (Death isn't such a big deal. Every living organism experiences it :-) one day or another. It's immortality which is hell)

[edit on 14-8-2009 by SpaceGoatsFarts]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Your completely right SpaceGoatsFarts immortality would be a hell do to the simple fact you would see so much know some many people only to have the knowledge they'll dye before you one day. I could only feel helpless in that situation.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If death is anything like my sleep, I'de be happy to die

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
At the moment I don't feel afraid of dying but to be fair that may change when I get older.

In some ways, I'm excited about death, in particular, the mystery of the whole thing. You are taking a leap into the unknown, no one can tell you what lies beyond death, you have to find out yourself.

The only thing I'm afraid of is not seeing my family again or somehow losing all my past memories of them.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I read on another website about somone who was afraid of dying and being afraid that nothing existed after this life? What are your veiws on death, and what are things you do to feel comfortable of not worrying about dying?

Yes, I am scared to die, the thought of it frightens me because I know when I am dead I won't be able to breath anymore, and triggers clausterphobia and and anxiety in me like you wouldn't believe. I want to know exactly what happens when you die. I don't believe in God or in a heaven or hell, I don't believe in reincarnation. I do not want to be put in a box. I want to be burned and scattered. I just want to know what happens afterwards, so i can prepare, but unfortunately I cannot get a straight answer and it worries me.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I used to be really afraid of dying, so much so that I would get into a depressed state of mind... I had a lot of other issues as well though.

Nowadays I am more optimistic but still am a bit TOed at the whole human race side of things... but thats a different story.

Anyways, yes death... I honestly have no idea what lies on the other side.
I was raised in a Christian family and attend a Christian school but am not one at present, still thinking stuff through, etc.

I am not really afraid of death in a physical sense.

What freaks me out is the thought that one second I will be thinking, experiencing life as I have all my life, and the next... well, I don't know what will happen.

Yes, as other have said, death is unavoidable, but I am still apprehensive about it.

This may offend some people, so a warning here, but take for example a person who is going to be executed. They know they are going to die, and do you think they might feel a little fear? We all as humans are going to die, obviously, others just know when.

What I SERIOUSLY don't want to happen is die in my sleep.

It would majorly suck to die that way. Even though it's peaceful, whatever, don't want it to happen to me. I don't want to go to bed one night and NEVER WAKE UP. Sure, if there is nothing after death, I have nothing to worry about, I won't even know what had just transpired, but it would still suck suddenly being dead without realising it.

I hope you can get what I'm trying to say (Yes, I acknowledge I am rambling).

My ideal death would be on a hospital bed surrounded by family and friends. Then, I could say my goodbyes, and my last words. But, knowing life, this will probably not happen.

Some people believe in heaven, I'm not so sure. Every religion believes they are right. There is no hard evidence that God exists. I think people invent 'faith' as a catch-all phrase for the lack of any evidence or support for something. Where is God? He wants us to have faith, we need to have faith, etc. I'm straying into religious territory here, getting back on track. And sorry to all Christians or other religions if i offend you, hey, I used to be a Christian.

I think people also have religion because of their fear of death and the need to 'continue on' that everyone seems to have. Imagine this- if churches everywhere suddenly declared that Christians would no longer go to heaven, but that they should still worship God, how many would still be Christians then?

I also think that probably 50% and upwards of Christians have no integrity and are just outwardly trying to appear 'faithful'.

I can see this by just taking a look around my school at all the so-called 'Christians' who have a 'best friend that is Jesus', whilst on the weekends go to alcohol-fuelled parties. People annoy me in this way.

Also guys who try to act alpha male and drink and smoke and then try and act like they're so tough. Well you know what, you are all imbeciles who are ruining your lives trying to appear cool in front of and impress people who do not like you for who you are anyway. If only you could see yourself as others do. It is not cool at all.

Wow, I am WAY off topic, but think of it this way - where were we before we were born. I would take a guess and say no-where. Why then can we as humans not seem to accept that there might be nothing after? I think because all we have experienced is life and thinking, etc, we can not wholly comprehend not having these things.

I have so many opinions on so many things... sometimes they interconnect. Well, if you made it throught the entire post to here, I congratulate you. I hope you can excuse the partially insane ramblings for the content that actually benefits the topic.

So long 'til next time,
LogJam

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I've had contact with "dead" people sins I was young. I have got visions that came true, I am telepathic with someone which I will not mention, I've been to the oter side - the astral.

Death does not exist, only a body dies - it's only a shell. Question is... how's your karma ?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Edit to add:
Addressing your "who knows what it feels like". There are many people (including me) that have felt their bodies shutting down, or have had NDE, or have been in catastrophic situations, and your body shields you from the pain. The pain comes a little later as you recover!

[edit on 13-8-2009 by getreadyalready]

well said, a few times I have been in serious situations and the pain came in recovery...
Hit by a car and when I came to I just thought it was a dream and tried to get up until I was held still, the only issue with pain was the bitumen was burning me, and not the skull fracture brain bleeding and broken pelvis, the other time was being attacked and clubbed with a baseball bat, although I was dazed like a drunk it wasn't untill latter on that the pain was apparent but again temperature was the main thing, this time it was death chills, and sweating.

I am not fearful of dying. Some times living is scarier.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

No am not but being alive is terrifying!!

why would i worry about being dead? when thats the WORST thing?

do u no think being ALIVE is the worrying partin?

after all one needs to be alive in order to die ; )

if you get my point

sorry for my crappy typing i have a bad hang over and well.. whatever..

Look at it this way... did you worry about being born?

Nope will you worry about being dead when ur dead? Nope

The most important part is the MIDDLE and that is call LIFE

so get on with it.. You only get ONE go at being you.. because when u go "there" you aint YOU no more get me?

good hope i sorted that out for ya :@)

[edit on 14-8-2009 by symmetricAvenger]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I'm not afraid of dying or how I'm going to go.

It's the thought of not existing anymore that scares me.

That is exactly the way I feel about it.

Also I went to church as a youngin and I worry from time to time about the Hell I may someday face, if Christians are right.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've always been pretty certain that death is simply the transition to some other form of existence. This universe is way to big and crazy for death to be the end. I just cannot accept that one can not exist.

I'm not religious either. To me, it all about a universe that is constantly going through cycles.

However, the act of dying does scare me a bit. Its got to be the most terrifying event to imagine. I think maybe its that extreme fear that forces you to "change over".

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
well since everyone is saying htey're not afraid of dying i feel i should say that im terrified of dying, and i dont mind admitting it.

the fear of not existing anymore used to terrify me when i was younger.

i think i am getting slightly better now, but i am still scared of the actual 'dying' part of dying. I dont really want to know that im dying becuz i think id be scared. I wud just like to get hit on the head or something - die so fast i dont even know ive died... or in my sleep or something.

death itself..well i guess that depends what happens. if your soul just goes to another place perhaps that wudnt be so bad. so long as its a nice place.

i still reckon i can remember being born, and that my first thought was 'oh s...t. not again.' (i find life very traumatic sometimes.)

im with woody allen who said 'im not afraid of dying, i just dont want to be there when it happens'.

but in some ways.... i am reading more about it, and this idea of souls reincarnating, and being here for a purpose, well that at least wud make some kind of sense. I might try some '___', ive heard people say that once you do that u lose the fear of death as you realize more about 'existance', that its not just 'this reality'. I had a lucid dream which felt to me more real than this reality, and that in part has made me think maybe this soul travel stuff is right, perhaps.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i'm not afraid of dying.
what is the heart wrencher is if i pass before my wife and not getting to say goodbye.
(like if i went on a motorcycle ride and never came home one day)

i'm actually excited to see what's behind door #3.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Another good question would be are you afraid of life. An even better question is are you afraid? Fear seeks an object but what lies at the root of fear has nothing to do with any mental concepts...like death. Fear is rooted in a sense of being separate from the world. If you loose that you loose fear.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ExperiencedGhost

Bull. Karma is a loada ####.
2nd line

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Toughiv]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight

I'd say if you are afraid of dying, learn how to astrally travel. My first experience of my soul leaving my body proved to me first hand that there is a separate eternal part of me and that this body is just a vessel.

Death is just another part of the journey...nothing to be feared.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by bringthelight]

Thats exactly how I found out I'm not afraid of dying, Depends on how I'm going to die of course, ( in my sleep preferably), but in the end its unavoidable, no matter how fit or how rich you are. Your gonna die anyway, and to say " I'm afraid of dying simply because I have family who I don't want to leave behind" is such a cop out, they're gonna die too, get over it and learn to Astral project, it really does calm you down about the end.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I do not fear death. As a matter of fact I look forward to it with excitement and anticipation. What I do fear is pain. And unfortunately, death can bring an enormous amount of physical pain sometimes. If there was a way I could die without physical pain then i would take it immediately. The only reason I am still living today is because of my fear of physical pain.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join