It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Webbot: Mary Celeste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Now, to start with; I'm putting this in Skunk Works myself. I don't really believe in the webbot project's predicitons and I don't believe what I'm about to write is more than a coincidence. It is, however, interesting to me.

So, a few weeks ago when the webbot guys were on C2C they, very briefly, mentioned something like a Mary Celeste type event happeneing.

For those of you who don't know what the Mary Celeste was, it was a ship which went missing in the 1800's, she was found with no signs of struggle and no signs of life at all.

So, I had all but forgotten about that little quick line, until last night.
www.abc.net.au...

It is feared that pirates are to blame for the disappearance of a cargo ship which dropped off the radar after travelling through the English Channel late last month.

The Russian navy and European authorities are scouring the seas for any sign of the Arctic Sea, a Maltese-flagged ship.

Maritime security experts say reports of a hijacking in the days before the ship vanished mean piracy is the most likely explanation.

Now, the article postulates that pirates have taken the ship captive. This doesn't make sense to me for a couple reasons.
How would pirates make the ship go missing?
What are pirates doing in those waters?

Given, I don't know a lot about the current state of piracy in the world but I've never heard of this kind of thing happening.

I do love a good mystery, and this one really made me think.

Thought I'd share

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Yeah, the whole Russian navy thing is very odd. You do wonder what Putin is up to.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well, as a side note. Lately, and I'm grasping at straws here, Russia has been up to something.

By lately I mean the last few years. The missles they tested out several years back, the rigged ukraine elections, the attack on Georgia, the hacking into our infastructure a few months ago.

Something is bubbling up man, it's not looking too appetizing either.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Also recently Russian submarines were in US waters.
I heard on the news.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
Also recently Russian submarines were in US waters.
I heard on the news.

There is nothing new about this at all. It goes on all the time. And we're in their waters as well. The Air Force has their version of international chicken as well.

This is a very odd situation, moreso given the uncanny 'hit' by WebBot. I mean how many of these kinds of cases have there been? The probably of WebBot pulling that out-of-the-air is amazing. Personally, I'm less concerned with the Russian government as I am the Russian mafia. The latter is extremely powerful and ruthless. They are far more likely to engage in activities that the government would not.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread.
I wish there was more to it.

Could the webbot have almost gotten something right?

I still don't know what to think about that project. Why is doom and gloom so entertaining to me? Hmm....prolly need to examine that.

Anyway, THANKS!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the thumbs up kspigpen, I thought it was pretty interesting myself. I want to know what was on that ship.

:update:
from yahoo:
news.yahoo.com...

MOSCOW (Reuters) – The mystery surrounding a missing merchant ship deepened Thursday with the vessel's operator suggesting piracy and maritime experts suspecting foul play or even a secret cargo.

The Kremlin ordered Russian warships to join the hunt for the 4,000-tonne, 98-meter bulk carrier Arctic Sea, whose fate has baffled maritime authorities across Europe and North Africa.

The Maltese-registered vessel, carrying a $1.3-million cargo of timber, was supposed to have docked on August 4 in the Algerian port of Bejaia. It never arrived and is thought to have last made contact from the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of France.

Mikhail Boytenko, editor of Russia's respected Sovfracht maritime journal, said that the ship may have been carrying a secret cargo unknown to the vessel's owners or operators.

"I think there was probably some sort of secret cargo on this vessel, not criminal but secret, and a third party of some sort did not want the cargo to get to another party so this highly sophisticated operation was cooked up," he told Reuters.

"I don't think that it was pirates who took this vessel but it really smells of some sort of state involvement. This is real cloak and dagger stuff, like a (John) le Carre novel."

A wave of piracy has hit shipping off Somalia, and an international naval force patrols its coast in an effort to protect merchant vessels. But a hijacking in European waters would be almost unprecedented in modern times.

"There has not been a so called incident of this kind around in Europe for a very long time," said Jim Davis, chairman of London-based industry group the International Maritime Industries Forum.

"It is a unique incident so far in European waters."

Piracy is rare in European waters with only a couple of recent incidents involving private yachts in the Mediterranean.

That's about half the article.

This is interesting that MSM is suggesting the same thing we are.

Not to go over the top, I saw GI Joe last night and for some reason this reminds me of the begining of the movie.

Soldiers are carrying precious cargo, :spoiler warning: and the company who gave them the cargo basically tries to steal it back without arousing suspicion that they were the ones who stole it.

That's a bit too much, like I said, I'm just letting the speculation fly though. What if there really was something important on that ship?

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Mr Headshot]

new topics

top topics

join