It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to alleviate Global Narcissism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As an avid reader and poster on ATS and other Sites, it is almost shocking to see the amount of me, me, ME oriented language on many of the threads throughout the Web. It seems (without purposefully stating the obvious) the more fearful the topic, the more ME oriented the language. Who identifies with others? A gross blanket of social apathy is seemingly smothering the totality of the Human Heart and it's potential. In times like these, especially in times like these, sometimes the helping, selfless hand of another can be all one has and can make the difference between an act of Lovingkindness or cold, apathetic ignorance.

There seems to almost be an increasing polarity in the World today, be it caused by a burgeoning population, a desperate economy or any combination of factors brought about by hyperfast media-based technology, instant information and it's potentially insuing symptoms of fear, paranoia and detachment.

How do We alleviate this? How do we shower the immediate environment around Us with Light and Love? Easy! I will give a few examples for starters just in case some haven't a clue. If You know of some ideas and have implemented them recently, post it on this thread. Share what You did for another selflessly with no thought toward recognition or reward. Share the act of unconditional Love so that All may feel it's healing power and release of needless fear and isolationism. How have You today, found Your identity in the shoes of Another in need?

1) Did You assist an elderly person in need in some way?

2) Did You help a lost child in a Shopping Mall?

3) Did You comfort somebody who was distraught?

4) Did You make a nice home-made card with hand picked flowers for some One with no reason behind it other than to make them feel good?

5) Did You give that special kitty or doggy a treat just because? A Loving pat on the head?

6) Did You hug anybody today?

7) Did You tell Your Wife/Husband all of the reasons You Love them and that Your Love for them continually grows?

8) Did You ask some One how their day was and actually show a geniune interest in their response?

9) Did You lend a shoulder to some One that just needed to have a good cry?

10) Did You thank Your parents for what they have given You and that You can appreciate how hard it must of been to raise in such a World?

This list is endless, but You get the idea. Lovingkindness is FREE! What's more, when You help some One and they feel Loved, they almost always give it right back and then some!! A kind act is it's own reward!! Money can't buy it!

I LOVE YOU ALL more than YOU can know!!!!

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redwoodjedi

Ah my friend, well put, and I totally agree.

There is something very wrong with with mankind, at the very least a disinterest in the welfare, happiness, rights, feelings and opinions of other life forms on this planet, be it other humans, animals, the entire ecosystem or just the planet in general.

Although like you say there is an endless list, and doing these things cannot solve all our problems, we have to start somewhere.

I needed to read your thread to restore a little cheer in me, as some some shocking tales of human apathy have come to light today.

Just what my soul needed!

All the best, kiwifoot, S+F of course!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

Ah my friend, well put, and I totally agree.

There is something very wrong with with mankind, at the very least a disinterest in the welfare, happiness, rights, feelings and opinions of other life forms on this planet, be it other humans, animals, the entire ecosystem or just the planet in general.

Although like you say there is an endless list, and doing these things cannot solve all our problems, we have to start somewhere.

I needed to read your thread to restore a little cheer in me, as some some shocking tales of human apathy have come to light today.

Just what my soul needed!

All the best, kiwifoot, S+F of course!

You are most WELCOME my Dear One!!!

Now that You have that smile, if You see some One without one, give them Yours!!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I do all those things everyday but they take no sacrifice.
It is natural.

However I do not make sacrifices for others, I almost never do anything that I don't want to do.

So I am selfish but kind most the time.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
I do all those things everyday but they take no sacrifice.
It is natural.

However I do not make sacrifices for others, I almost never do anything that I don't want to do.

So I am selfish but kind most the time.

Wow, Cindy!!

The only difference between what You do selfishly and how to do it selflessly is..........do it from the Heart with no expectation of reward or returned kindness in any way. Sacrifice is not a Loving act. There is expectation behind it. Sneaky as it is and as noble as it sounds, sacrifice is not a selfless act. Now if You willingly died for Another to protect them because You Love them, then that is not a sacrifice. That is the ultimate act of Love. Break the Heart. Lose the Mind. Give with no thought....

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I don't think I would die for another and love is not something that I think we as humans really know.

I think what most view as love is just attachment.

The only time I think I have experienced real love are those seconds in existance when I have been in true communion with Source.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I don't think I would die for another and love is not something that I think we as humans really know.

I think what most view as love is just attachment.

The only time I think I have experienced real love are those seconds in existance when I have been in true communion with Source.

Yes! When We re-connect to Source, re-cognize and re-member Our true Self, that Source and thus We are One in Love as Love. What better way to experience that than in a selfless act toward Another! Beautiful!!

Love is nothing known. It is everything BEing.

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You do know that narcissism is the result of too much ego, but that a bit of ego is normal and healthy?

From what place do you stand to point the finger at others? From an ego. "I" say "I" all the time, because "I" am stating what "my" point of view and thoughts are. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Whats the problem with people being individuals?

Narcissism is when people have such a big ego, that they actually start to build up a fantasy reality around them. None of the things you mention have a bit to do with narcissism, and in fact a narcissist may even do those things just to feed their own ego/self worth.

I can only guess that you have never really actually dealt with a narcissist if you think the whole world suffers from it. A true narcissist is a nightmare, I've dealt with them before.

Sounds to me more like an attack on the individual in order to adopt a group think mentality, and that "I" can't agree with.

What you say is hardly beautiful, but is rather an over compensation and avoidance of truth. Connecting with "source" is merely to connect with the true "self", and the ego/individual which is your soul itself is not in anyway killed and so forth.

The things you mention are people who are using material and such to define themselves, because they do not know the true self.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
You do know that narcissism is the result of too much ego, but that a bit of ego is normal and healthy?

From what place do you stand to point the finger at others? From an ego. "I" say "I" all the time, because "I" am stating what "my" point of view and thoughts are. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Whats the problem with people being individuals?

Narcissism is when people have such a big ego, that they actually start to build up a fantasy reality around them. None of the things you mention have a bit to do with narcissism, and in fact a narcissist may even do those things just to feed their own ego/self worth.

I can only guess that you have never really actually dealt with a narcissist if you think the whole world suffers from it. A true narcissist is a nightmare, I've dealt with them before.

Sounds to me more like an attack on the individual in order to adopt a group think mentality, and that "I" can't agree with.

Hello BadMedia! Soooo nice to meet YOU!

No, I would never put down the ego. Only the ego would try to get rid of it's self. Impossible! It's just another object in Our Awareness to be looked at and not attached to. That's all.

No, Dear One, I can't say as I have ever met a "true" or "scathing" Narcissist.

I apologize that if in Your view or Others I made a gross generalization. That was not my intent. From my small and limited view, I see a lot of unhappiness. Unhappiness seems to stem from a lot of personal unmet desires. If One could but center Themselves on Others simple desires or better yet, needs for just a moment, in that instant of Eternity all sense of self dissolves in a single act of Lovingkindness. No thought of self is to be found in it! That is all I was relating. I only wish to give away what I have freely with no thought toward my person in this little vehicle named Erik. I seek only to soften the hearts where they are hardened even if it only takes but a smile to do it.

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yep if you ever met a Narcissist you would run, they are scarey crazy.
Hard to differ from a Sociopath.

In psychology and psychiatry, excessive narcissism is recognized as a severe personality disorder. The terms narcissism, narcissistic, and narcissist are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others.

Sigmund Freud believed that some narcissism is an essential part of all of us from birth and was the first to use the term in the reference to psychology.[1] Andrew Morrison claims that, in adults, a reasonable amount of healthy narcissism allows the individual's perception of his needs to be balanced in relation to others.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

Edited to add:
That was really sweet what you said above Eric about wanting to soften hard hearts. It's well intentioned.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Yep if you ever met a Narcissist you would run, they are scarey crazy.
Hard to differ from a Sociopath.

In psychology and psychiatry, excessive narcissism is recognized as a severe personality disorder. The terms narcissism, narcissistic, and narcissist are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others.

Sigmund Freud believed that some narcissism is an essential part of all of us from birth and was the first to use the term in the reference to psychology.[1] Andrew Morrison claims that, in adults, a reasonable amount of healthy narcissism allows the individual's perception of his needs to be balanced in relation to others.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

Edited to add:
That was really sweet what you said above Eric about wanting to soften hard hearts. It's well intentioned.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by cindymars]

Nice Wiki!! Thank You!!

And Thank YOU, my Dear Lady for the kindnesses! And now the smile that is on my face as a result will now BE paid forward on Your behalf to the next Beautiful BEing I meet!

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Yes. There can reach a point where there is a fine line between Narcissistic Personality, and Anti-Social Personality. (I want to run, too).

Term I sometimes use: Malignant Narcissism.

Kind of sums it up, doesn't it? Run!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by redwoodjedi
There seems to almost be an increasing polarity in the World today, be it caused by a burgeoning population, a desperate economy or any combination of factors brought about by hyperfast media-based technology, instant...

There is increasing polarity in order to facilitate a cleansing, a synthesis.

There's the lady with the poodle down the street but really she doesn't need much help. She's always walking about. So a "hello" is enough.

I avoid shopping malls.

Nobody around me is distraught. Just doesn't happen unless I command it.

4) Did You make a nice home-made card with hand picked flowers for some One with no reason behind it other than to make them feel good?

With macaroni pictures!

5) Did You give that special kitty or doggy a treat just because? A Loving pat on the head?

One cat is a catnip junkie. One always wants cheese (just skips the mouse part altogether). The other is a little beastie that takes from the other two.

After I shower first.

7) Did You tell Your Wife/Husband all of the reasons You Love them and that Your Love for them continually grows?

Not wife but girlfriend. It always comes out in parts throughout the day. No need to be so contrived about the situation. I prefer spontaneity reveal more reasons.

8) Did You ask some One how their day was and actually show a geniune interest in their response?

I have no choice. Generally, I'm a do unto others type and don't want anyone asking me how my day was.

For the second time, noone is distraught around me!

10) Did You thank Your parents for what they have given You and that You can appreciate how hard it must of been to raise in such a World?

Hmmm. It was only hard for them because they resisted.

Though I did save a frog yesterday. It got loose from the pond nearby so I took it back.

Vos amo.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Originally posted by redwoodjedi
There seems to almost be an increasing polarity in the World today, be it caused by a burgeoning population, a desperate economy or any combination of factors brought about by hyperfast media-based technology, instant...

There is increasing polarity in order to facilitate a cleansing, a synthesis.

There's the lady with the poodle down the street but really she doesn't need much help. She's always walking about. So a "hello" is enough.

I avoid shopping malls.

Nobody around me is distraught. Just doesn't happen unless I command it.

With macaroni pictures!

One cat is a catnip junkie. One always wants cheese (just skips the mouse part altogether). The other is a little beastie that takes from the other two.

After I shower first.

Not wife but girlfriend. It always comes out in parts throughout the day. No need to be so contrived about the situation. I prefer spontaneity reveal more reasons.

I have no choice. Generally, I'm a do unto others type and don't want anyone asking me how my day was.

For the second time, noone is distraught around me!

Hmmm. It was only hard for them because they resisted.

Though I did save a frog yesterday. It got loose from the pond nearby so I took it back.

Vos amo.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by EnlightenUp]

What a deliciously spontaneous and delightful response!!! I LOVE It!!!

Thank YOU, Sir for Shining Your ONE'derful Light on this thread! I enjoyed it immensely!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I have nothing against doing good things and believe in the golden rule myself. I realize in the end, all is 1 and so forth.

However, there is a good bit of people using this kind of stuff as an attack on the individual under the guise of "ego". They use the most serious examples of too much ego as a way of attacking all ego, all individuality and that is to attack someone's soul. Because the entire "function" of a soul is to be an individual within the greater spirit of things.

People use "oneness" as a means of saying everyone should give up their individualism and become as a machine, all with the same goal. And such is not really losing the ego, losing the soul it's instead selling it. There is nothing enlightened about becoming a puppet.

Too much ego and the person disconnects completely from others, and creates their own fantasy world, in which they seek attention like nobodies business.

Are you doing that? I dunno. I always give the benefit of the doubt. I've never seen anyone present something they liked/promoted as being bad. I'll start taking things at their word when people start telling you all the bad things about something when they promote/advertise it.

I believe the point is to understanding all is 1, while at the same time keeping that individualism. When you can see that all is 1, then perhaps people will start to give the freedoms other individuals deserve, rather than trying to shape them in their own way. The only thing wrong someone can do is to infringe upon that, and it's more about that then doing good things for people and ignoring the bad things that happen. To steal, kill and so forth is to infringe upon that.

Sure, help those who need it as much as one can. But if you really love something you will set it free. If it loves you, it will come back. To love one another is to simply allow those others freedoms, more so than being nice to people. Attacks on individuals and ego's are simply attacks on freedoms, wrapped in a bunch of "niceness".

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I have nothing against doing good things and believe in the golden rule myself. I realize in the end, all is 1 and so forth.

However, there is a good bit of people using this kind of stuff as an attack on the individual under the guise of "ego". They use the most serious examples of too much ego as a way of attacking all ego, all individuality and that is to attack someone's soul. Because the entire "function" of a soul is to be an individual within the greater spirit of things.

People use "oneness" as a means of saying everyone should give up their individualism and become as a machine, all with the same goal. And such is not really losing the ego, losing the soul it's instead selling it. There is nothing enlightened about becoming a puppet.

Too much ego and the person disconnects completely from others, and creates their own fantasy world, in which they seek attention like nobodies business.

Are you doing that? I dunno. I always give the benefit of the doubt. I've never seen anyone present something they liked/promoted as being bad. I'll start taking things at their word when people start telling you all the bad things about something when they promote/advertise it.

I believe the point is to understanding all is 1, while at the same time keeping that individualism. When you can see that all is 1, then perhaps people will start to give the freedoms other individuals deserve, rather than trying to shape them in their own way. The only thing wrong someone can do is to infringe upon that, and it's more about that then doing good things for people and ignoring the bad things that happen. To steal, kill and so forth is to infringe upon that.

Sure, help those who need it as much as one can. But if you really love something you will set it free. If it loves you, it will come back. To love one another is to simply allow those others freedoms, more so than being nice to people. Attacks on individuals and ego's are simply attacks on freedoms, wrapped in a bunch of "niceness".

Thank You soooo much, BadMedia for Your preciously valuable insight. It is wonderfully appreciated and I only learn by placing myself as gently as I can in other's perspectives. Having had an awakening several years ago in Rinzai Zen fashion, I know longer view things from a dualist viewpoint but that is to say that I have not negated them in any way as I am still able to put myself back to that viewpoint and understand it's lessons and values. I don't really know what else we at this point can expound upon nor do I get an overall sense that You would care to. So I just touch on the places that We All have in common no matter what viewpoint and those are We are Human BEings, We All can view things from the Heart or Mind, and We All feel things deeply and intrinsically according to our cultural exposure, education, beliefs and motivations within our familiar society.

Thank You again for giving me yet another piece or aspect of creation as viewed by another beautiful Human BEing. I Love You more than You can know!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hello to You Each and All!

This is one of my favorite and random acts of kindness to commit and I try to do it a couple of times a month. Sometimes when I am in a long drive-thru line at a coffee shop and You can feel the tension and impatience of those behind You, when it is my turn to get to the window, I will pay for the coffee of the person behind me. 5 bucks usually covers it and what is left over goes in the tip jar. This is a great way to make some One's day and put a smile on their face that is sure to affect some One else's day!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Erik you really are a sweetie.
I wish there were more people like you in the world.
Peace!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Erik you really are a sweetie.
I wish there were more people like you in the world.
Peace!

Well! You just made me smile! You must be a Sweetie too. See?! There's two that we know of for sure although I still have plenty room for growth or else I could get every One to smile no matter what their background or view. That is however, my goal!

I LOVE YOU, Cindy! You're AMAZING and thanks heaps for the smile!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Good morning to You Each and All!!

Do any of You know a young couple with children (babies, toddlers) that both work and juggle the kids as well as cooking/house chores? Here's a great way to show them in their frenzied world (I know, I have two teenaged daughters and both my wife and I work, who doesn't?) that They are Loved and appreciated. Make a special coupon with no expiration date that they can redeem for a night out together sans children while You take care of dinner and baby-sitting stuff.

This exact scenario has happened spontaneously to my wife and I and let me tell You it was such a blessing to know that Others see You and Your situation even when You think they might not. Incidentally, the wife and I had a great time and we reciprocated by sending the nice person a gift certicate to a local spa for the day. Paid forward in full and then some!! Woohooohoo!!

Try it this out. Great fun!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

new topics

top topics

join