It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brining the Right and Left Together and Saving the Nation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Obviously, for at least the 2 or 3 years I have been a member of ATS and spending time in the political sections of the site I have seen a growing divide between those who tend to the right or left politically.

While disagreements are inevitable and expected between those with differing opinions it seems that the ability to disagree while still remaining steadfast to the idea that we are 'one nation under [insert your preferred phrase here]' has been dramatically diminished if not, in some cases, eliminated entirely.

This state of affairs has lead, in my humble opinion, to the rise of corporate power and carrier politicians wholesale rule of this nation. We are essentially, divided and conquered.

Now, as ATS is home to representatives from both right and left leaning groups as well as independents whose zeal and charisma greatly outshines the zeal and charisma of other members of their political constituencies this is a great place to get together and think about how this nation can once again agree to disagree and use the disagreement to forge policies that are more reflective of the whole of the nation.

So I put the question to you ATS what is it going to take to make the fractured citizenry of the USA to remember that we are ONE nation? What will it take to make the country remember that although we have ideological differences, sometimes of massive magnitudes, we are STILL in this together? What will it take to make us remember how to agree to disagree?

Personally I believe that the fist step is going to have to be the most basic. We need to get past the tendency of 'objectifying', 'insulting', and 'attacking' the other side. Regardless of how far-out, silly, idiotic, or dangerous we think of someone's political idea's we need to maintain basic levels of respect for that individual(s) to insure that conversations can still take place.

I think once we begin to treat each other with respect once again we will find the task of debating the issues a much easier thing to achieve.

However, this is only one idea and one part of the solution to the problem. I am curious to hear that the other members here on ATS think on the issue and what you think the solutions will be?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

We need to bring our right and left brain hemisphere back together people, not damn political sides. Politics will NEVER change anything for the better. Human thinking and behavior on the other hand can. And we need to change ourselves, so we can change the world. Forget politics.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by LyricusMagna]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Everybody has an ideology, even independents. Some are more aware of their ideologies than others, but there is no way to organize and make sense of the world without an ideology of some sort. Ideologies are still subject to individual experience, so there may be inconsistencies in a person's world view--areas that seem to contradict other areas--but most people have at least an unconscious world view.

Each of us likes to perceive ourselves as being absolutely objective, but the fact is one person's "truth" is likely to be different from another's. At best, we can become consciously aware of our ideologies and therefore reduce the power of our unconscious and increase our ability to make conscious choices, but again, what is rational to one person may not be rational to another.

I have become pretty much conscious of my ideologies, which on a political spectrum you might call left. This world-view is more consistent with my own knowledge and experience and ethics than the right, although I can be surprisingly conservative about some things, like my values when it comes to fundamental principles and how human beings should treat each other. That is no doubt an effect of my early religious education.

As far as ideologies of the left and right coming together, I am doubtful that that can happen at this juncture in American history. Each side--even including the independents--are becoming increasingly polarized. Look at the health care reform debate, for example. It has broken down into two warring world-views. They include diametrically opposed ideas of what is good for the country, the economy, and society in general.. Trying to reconcile the two is like trying to reconcile day and night and each side would have to give up values they believe to be essential.

I personally believe the Republicans have no interest in any kind of health care reform in principle and none of them are ever going to support it no matter how many compromises the left tries to make. Republicans were opposed to Social Security and Medicare when they happened and Democrats basically created those programs themselves. Now most people are satisfied with these programs, but again it's ideologically impossible for the right to support such a plan. It's just inconsistent with their view of what constitutes the greater good.

Independents are weighing in on the subject but the choice still remains which world-
view and beliefs about the social good will win out.

Compromise will lead to a muddled mess that no one will be satisfied with.

I do not question that the right is doing what they sincerely believe is in the interests of the greatest good for all. So is the left. There can be some give and take but the fact remains that one ideology is clashing with another. In the end reform will happen or it won't.

My position on the issue is contingent on what I believe is the most realistic world view and my ideas of what constitutes the greatest good for all -- in other words, my ideology.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Excellent thread. I was going to author one but now don't have to. You put it perfectly. It's like it's a battlefield here. The far left/righties engage in Google battle to show the other side in a bad light while ignoring the missteps of their own. It's like:

It's embarrassing really.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The one thing that should unite us and make us aware of the illusion of political parties was disclosed long ago.

The Bankers Manifesto of 1892

"We (the bankers) must proceed with caution and guard every move made, for the lower order of people are already showing signs of restless commotion. Prudence will therefore show a policy of apparently yielding to the popular will until our plans are so far consummated that we can declare our designs without fear of any organized resistance.

The Farmers Alliance and Knights of Labor organizations in the United States should be carefully watched by our trusted men, and we must take immediate steps to control these organizations in our interest or disrupt them.

At the coming Omaha Convention to be held July 4th (1892), our men must attend and direct its movement, or else there will be set on foot such antagonism to our designs as may require force to overcome. This at the present time would be premature. We are not yet ready for such a crisis. Capital must protect itself in every possible manner through combination (conspiracy) and legislation.

The courts must be called to our aid, debts must be collected, bonds and mortgages foreclosed as rapidly as possible.

When through the process of the law, the common people have lost their homes, they will be more tractable and easily governed through the influence of the strong arm of the government applied to a central power of imperial wealth under the control of the leading financiers. People without homes will not quarrel with their leaders.

History repeats itself in regular cycles. This truth is well known among our principal men who are engaged in forming an imperialism of the world. While they are doing this, the people must be kept in a state of political antagonism.

The question of tariff reform must be urged through the organization known as the Democratic Party, and the question of protection with the reciprocity must be forced to view through the Republican Party.

By thus dividing voters, we can get them to expand their energies in fighting over questions of no importance to us, except as teachers to the common herd. Thus, by discrete action, we can secure all that has been so generously planned and successfully accomplished."

We always fall prey to the money masters,always. The war has been fought since biblical times. If we were not subjected to the usery of fiat money and income tax we would be wealthy beyond our dreams and health care would be possible for all because we could afford it.

The war continues, the machine must be fed, and it demands the blood of the people to grease the wheels of usury.

Let us abolish this spawn of satan and it proponents once and forevermore.

One can still hope cant we?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Great thread!

Intrepid, that was funny! I LOL.

Originally posted by Animal
What will it take to make us remember how to agree to disagree?

It's very simple, really, as I see it. It will take each individual adopting the mindset of:

I realize we have different opinions on this subject and I disagree strongly with you. But just exactly as my beliefs seem "right" to me, I realize that your beliefs seem just as "right" to you. It's OKAY that we disagree. I am not threatened in any way by having someone disagree with me. I respect you as a fellow countryman and know that we're in this together. Let's stand together an Americans with different opinions, but certain one that we share. We love our country, where people with different opinions can live together, honoring and respecting each other.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If this country would get back to a more strict adherence to the Constitution I think everyone would be happier and get along more. Give more rights back to the state governments and you will see things improve. Oh, your for abortion, well in this state, everyone is in favor of it, so the state representatives are passing legislation here that voices the public opinion. Oh you think gay people should be able to get married, well, thats not a Federal issue, let your state decide.

All the states are united, but that does not mean they all have to be identical. The Federal Government should not be involved in these decisions, not even healthcare. I think going back to a mindset like this would bring both parties closer.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Obviously, for at least the 2 or 3 years I have been a member of ATS and spending time in the political sections of the site I have seen a growing divide between those who tend to the right or left politically.

Im not sure I agree with this. I think this is a case of who shouts the loudest is getting heard.

Just as the liberal left did all the shouting during the Bush years, we are now seeing all the extreme right doing the jumping up and down.

I think actually more than ever in the past we are seeing the American public getting fed up with the two party system..

Im not a person who likes to scream "revolution" with the drop of a hat, but this is one system I would love to see obliterated...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
sounds great...but reconciliation always seems to fall to the democrats when they are in power...when i see the republicans taking on the banking and monied interests in this country, i'll believe it, but not until then.

top topics

join