It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans; being Un-American how quaint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Americans; being Un-American how quaint

seattletimes.nwsource.com

This week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer published a column in USA Today in which they called those who oppose the Democrats' health care plan "un-American."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.baltimoresun.com

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
We would like to know, what could be MORE American than citizens from across the country voicing concerns about controversial legislation to their elected officials?

Perhaps opposition to the Democrats' plan for health care is so fierce because Americans don't like the idea of socialized medicine. They don't like the thought of the government being so deeply involved in their health care decisions. And they don't like the cost - $1.5 trillion over ten years. And that's on top of the President's failed stimulus plan and a bailout for failing auto companies. There is an economic breaking point, and it seems that the Democrats have found it.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's funny, that there are so many people out there that are such proud supporters of such situations of this healthcare plan and the democratic party. Yet, when they are doing something so decietful as trying to pass this before the August break without giving enough time for 1/10 of the people to read 1/10 of this 1,000 page bill. And yet, it didn't go through. HALLELUJIA to smart Democrats. Was wondering where they were for a while. But where are they now ??? Getting paid off or getting false promises, my bet is that some false promises have already been broken are they would be chomping at the bits for these new false promises that are being thrown out there for them, to just vote YES, on this bill. Sad that is all it takes these days 51% "YES" and it doesn't matter what is right or wrong anymore. SO SAD !!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yet another statement from those afraid of losing their positions of first in the trough, first to line their pockets with money, "look if you don't do as we say you'll be branded a terrorist, and you know what we do to terrorists don't you?" kind of statement.

Kick 'em all out and start again. Let me rephrase that, kick out all the politicians AND lobbyists and start again.

[edit on 13/8/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
[edit on 13-8-2009 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
its like the same crap that bush pulled.

if you dont support our troops than you are un-American.

its LIKE that, but not the same. heres why.

if you dont support your countrymen then you are infact un-American. not supporting your brothers while they defend you (regardless of whether you think they should be there or not) is, by definition, un-American.

however,

not supporting legislation is NOT the same as not supporting the well being and safety of your countrymen. this country was built on the principal of being able to challenge legislation. if you dont think so, then what the hell is the appeals process. you dont like it. appeal it.

not supporting an effort for washington to pass through something without reading and understanding, something they wont even use themselves, is no un-American. The fact that these career politicians are passing through something that the majority does not want, is called TREASON, and is the most un-American thing you can do!

you heard me nancy? YOU ARE A TRAITOR! and i cant be anything BUT American by calling you out!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Very well said, pretty straight to the point. I don't know whether she is a Traitor or Un-American as she is a PUPPET. Who has the strings to these puppets. And there are many more than one.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
First of all, your link doesn't even go to the right story...

Secondly, the quote from Pelosi/Hoyer is: "Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American." And it is.

Source

These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views — but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American. Drowning out the facts is how we failed at this task for decades.

But go ahead and have your little rant thread over something that didn't even happen.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
We would like to know, what could be MORE American than citizens from across the country voicing concerns about controversial legislation to their elected officials?

If you'd care to read the article in question, Pelosi is not saying dissent is Un-American, rather that it is the disruption of discourse that is Un-American. While the protesters have a right to their say, how does that conflict with a group of people who go to a town hall for information. That is not a partisan opinion...it is a reasonable one.

(Quoting Pelosi"...However, it is now evident that an ugly campaign is underway not merely to misrepresent the health insurance reform legislation, but to disrupt public meetings and prevent members of Congress and constituents from conducting a civil dialogue. These tactics have included hanging in effigy one Democratic member of Congress in Maryland and protesters holding a sign displaying a tombstone with the name of another congressman in Texas, where protesters also shouted "Just say no!" drowning out those who wanted to hold a substantive discussion. Let the facts be heard These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views — but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American. Drowning out the facts is how we failed at this task for decades. blogs.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

But this is a large part of how the new left progressives gained power. Shutting down college campuses, sit ins, other disruptions. This was called un-american then but now look; meet the new boss!

The left is to rapacious to be considered representatives of the people. They represent and promote the philosophies they have been wallowing in for years and thus as representatives of the people cannot be taken seriously as such but are better seen as thugs and pontificating mind control freaks with rhetorician diarrhea. While their friends in the press provide a public restroom for the deification and the state at taxpayer expense, have allowed them to turn college classrooms into public restrooms.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I did read the post thoroughly ONE. TWO, this is just the beginning of the disinformation that is going on. And shows how changing a few words in a story aroudn by "THE PRESS" just a few other PUPPETS on a string can have people stating this is what really happend. And telling people that understand the story wouldn't have ever been released in the first place and been AUDITED if this were not the true reason for it. There are still good reporters out there. The problem with this is that they have to turn in thier good reporting to the CHEIF Auditor. Oh how funny there is another Chief somewhere that I have heard of oh wait, that is the President. I wonder if there is any correlation here between CHIEFS. Funny that word is derived from the indians that no longer exist. Maybe we should learn from our past mistakes and make another one. Then we can pay all of the "CHIEFS" families off or give them land and keep taking it away. OK OK I am ranting alittle now. Good Luck to all of you as I will not be posting here much but reading very carefully as to what you all have to say.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I did read the post thoroughly ONE. TWO, this is just the beginning of the disinformation that is going on. And shows how changing a few words in a story aroudn by "THE PRESS" just a few other PUPPETS on a string can have people stating this is what really happend. ...Good Luck to all of you as I will not be posting here much but reading very carefully as to what you all have to say.

However, what I provided was not a press interpretation...it was a direct quote by Pelosi. I'm certainly aware that the press can twist words and take them out of context. But this thread is about Pelosi's "Anti-American" comments, and I can do no more than provide the direct quote that is...once more, being twisted.

And even Rush deserves the grace of being quoted correctly before being slammed.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

Fox news cut off Obama's speech which I saw on British media where he rubbished the claims. We actually had a proper analysis from both sides, and I bet our news is unbiased and actually more knowledgable than most of the American networks.

Can you not see the republicans are the one's that will lose the most from the healthcare plans, as their expensive companies will lose profit, and they are doing whatever they can to discredit Obama even using mis-information.

Fox news can't even show Obama's speech, they are that biased!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Perhaps opposition to the Democrats' plan for health care is so fierce because Americans don't like the idea of socialized medicine. They don't like the thought of the government being so deeply involved in their health care decisions. And they don't like the cost - $1.5 trillion over ten years. And that's on top of the President's failed stimulus plan and a bailout for failing auto companies. There is an economic breaking point, and it seems that the Democrats have found it.

So is it more American to just "SHUT UP AND DO WHAT YOUR TOLD" Fired these MORONS!!! all of them.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

Fox news cut off Obama's speech which I saw on British media where he rubbished the claims. We actually had a proper analysis from both sides, and I bet our news is unbiased and actually more knowledgable than most of the American networks.

Can you not see the republicans are the one's that will lose the most from the healthcare plans, as their expensive companies will lose profit, and they are doing whatever they can to discredit Obama even using mis-information.

Fox news can't even show Obama's speech, they are that biased!

More than likely it is the large corporations pushing for this crap .... Corporations have to provide healthcare for their employees. Now if this is passed the healthcare is now shouldered by the working class instead of the corporations...

The best part about this bill is its going to be a percentage of Your income more than likely. Lets say its 6% for me thats another 6k a year in taxes. In no way shape or form am I rich. I made 111k last year working 84 hours a week for the whole year .... So wtf I get to work a lot of overtime with no choice and I get to pay more in taxes while some POS welfare puke pays nothing and gets all the benefits with no pain...

You DEMS act like You are so sophisticated and You have the moral high ground but I am sorry any person that condones slavery can never hold the moral high ground.... Oh my God those people are terrorist and paid shills.... I think You people are delusional and You need to invent truth so You can feel better.... Has it ever occurred to liberals that some of the people are just like me and are fed up with working for free so some POS can get freebies....

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by svpwizard

So is it more American to just "SHUT UP AND DO WHAT YOUR TOLD" Fired these MORONS!!! all of them.

Certainly not. But is it American to prevent others from listening and being heard? In a conversation, in a debate, is it not American for the other person to have a voice, too? Is it American to be ill-mannered and bullying?

Because people are organizing to rob other Americans of their voice.

That doesn't seem very American to me. America has, to me, always meant a principal of fairness.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Oh btw .... You liberals answer one question?

How on earth is it fair for me to pay 6k a year for medical when I might go to the doctor 1 or twice a year? I mean seriously in my line of work people DIE because We can not get medical attention. If You get hurt OFFSHORE You have to wait 8 hours just to be able to get to the hospital .... So why on earth should I feel happy about paying for something I will more than likely not even use?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by svpwizard

Certainly not. But is it American to prevent others from listening and being heard? In a conversation, in a debate, is it not American for the other person to have a voice, too? Is it American to be ill-mannered and bullying?

Because people are organizing to rob other Americans of their voice.

That doesn't seem very American to me. America has, to me, always meant a principal of fairness.

You are wrong.

America has what is called the filibuster, and it is VERY American

Link

"Since when has it been part of American patriotism to keep our mouths shut?" - Hillary Clinton 2006

"Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism" - Hillary Clinton 2006

"Blind faith in bad leadership is not patriotism" - Hillary Clinton 2006

[edit on 8/13/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
America has what is called the filibuster, and it is VERY American

Rarely comes, though, with threats of violence if I recall my civics lessons.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This is silly, the truth and the rigth way of doing things are as simple as black and white. We have hospitals that take care of illegal aliens that come over from Mexico Illegally to have thier babies and then call the babies american citizens, and if someone comes to the hospital and it dying of a heart attack they don't get shunned or asked for thier Health care they get FIXED. It would be different if these were not the TRUTHS. But people get hurt they get fixed in any circumstance. Regaurdless of the insurances or if they have or do not have. YES, Health insurances right now end up paying for these things in the long runs. Because lord knows bills aren't getting paid by these people that are on Government programs. SADLY, I had someone tell me to go fiel for disability because if they deny you and you become disabled in a few years with a similiar condition they will have to pay you back to that date. SAD, we are in a nation that teaches its young to take adnavtage of its government instead of asking what they can do for thier government. AND YET, HERE WE ARE WONDERING WHY THINGS ARE GOING WRONG !??!?! The problem is, everyone expects a STIMULUS. I had hald the mind to send back my Stimulous of 300 dollars. That most people didn't do anything except stimulate themselves with. SAD, Very Very Sad. The people that have morals and some self worth need to stand up in this trying time for our country. There are enough of us out there, that work for ourselves and don't look for handouts.

top topics

join