It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you be blind when invisible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This came to me last night while trying to goto sleep.

This goes for total body invisibility. Everything is see through, not an invisi-suit like G.I.Joe.

The eye works by reflecting light of lenses and the rods and cones in your eyes.

If a person were fully invisible... wouldnt the light travel through the eye without reflecting?

To Mods: Not totally sure which section to put this in, I picked the best, feel free to move.

So. Would you be blind while invisible?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I would say it depends on the method of attaining invisibility. If you are using some kind of suit that refracts light around your body, rendering you cloaked, you would be unable to see as any opening with out metamaterials to refract the light would be visable. So your eyes would be visable if you could see. However you could potentially have small cameras relaying what is infront of you which would allow you to "see" although its rather disconnected.

Read the book, Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku, you question makes me think you would really enjoy it.

If its superhero invisibility than sure you would be able to see.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by born-indigo]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
No, you wouldn't be able to see.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If the invisibility were attained by somehow deflecting visible light around your body, then yes you would be blind because no light entered your eyes.

If you attained invisibility in some other manner, like for instance wearing some kind of camouflage suit, you could still see. By this, I mean a suit that when you wore it, it mimicked whatever was behind you perfectly in real time so that you blended in with any surroundings.

If you somehow made your body transparent (like glass or air) like in H. G. Wells' 'The Invisible Man', you could still see.

So yeah, it depends how you do it.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It would probably depend upon the degree of invisibility you are able to attain. You would have to enter a completely dark area to "not see" as you would see through your eyelids.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Look in a mirror. That dark spot on your eye (pupil) is that dark because it absorbs light. As long as it absorbs light, it will remain that dark. If that spot is made invisible, no more light is being absorbed, therefor, no more sight. Invisible sunglasses over the eyes would still reflect the light away from the eyes so, no go. Partial invisiblility is an answer but I believe there's one possible way to get around all this.

You will not naturally see, however, you can have CGI sight. This will only work in an open field as far as I can tell. You have a satellite hovering over a battlefield or where ever else you'd need to be invisible for and have the satellite send signals to your helmet giving you an artificial visual of the area. While your suit may reflect visual light, other forms of EM might be allowed such as radio waves. It sends the signals, the suit picks up on them, and offers synthetic sight. On a battlefield, a delay of transmission from satellite to helmet would be risky so it'd probably be a drone of some sort flying overhead giving the signals.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I suspect that if you had an invisibility suit/device which still allowed light to enter your pupils (and therefore, allowed you to see) then most people wouldn't notice these two black dots just sitting there in the room (and if they did, they'd think they were mad as a hatter!).

The question is, could we design a suit which would sufficiently refract light around the body, while still allowing enough light through to the pupils?

Originally posted by born-indigo
Read the book, Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku, you question makes me think you would really enjoy it.

I've only read a few chapters here and there, but I second this book recommendation.

It's a fun physics book.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

You have to wear a special type of goggles as I read it.

Why not just look at 'Ninjitsu'? They have many cheap ways of becoming 'invisible already, like throwing an egg at you that temporarily blinds you so you can't see them. Use of smoke bombs, etc. Use of meditation/mind techniques to make enemy less aware of their presence. They become invisible psychologically, and I think that's way cooler!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Thats a good question that I never thought of, thank's.

Im not exactly sure how the eye works but wouldnt some kind of image appear in your head? I mean, even if the optic's are invisible wouldnt they still create some kind of image?

If you were invisible light would be coming in your eye from all directions instead of just from the front socket.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Reflection and absorption are not the same thing.

A chemical such as acetic acid is invisible in water, but strongly absorbs electromagnetic radiation and shows up on a variety of electromagnetic spectra.

You are seen because of reflection of light off your body, but you see because of chemicals in your eyes absorbing electromagnetic radiation, changing the properties of the chemicals in your eyes, thus affecting the signals to the brain, which is interpreted by the brain as an image.

Absorption does occur in most chemicals where there is no visible reflection.

So yes, you should be able to see even if you're invisible.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
But just look at how cats can see more of the visible spectrum than us, so depends on how you get that invisible thing on.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus

So yes, you should be able to see even if you're invisible.

But at severely reduced quality of image though, especially, contrast of image... Have you ever tried peeking on a telescope with transparent tube??

Not a problem though if done at dark..

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
What if a digital camera was invisible? What kind of picture would it take?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It seems that the ability of the rods and cones in your eyes to work would depend upon the ability to stop light thereby requiring that they be opaque. I guess you would be blind if the rods and cones were transparent as well.

You got one weird mind my friend. Very cool question.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
They definitely stole it from MGS4, where the octocamo suit changes patterns like a chameleon. so yes you would see clearly, but you would not really be invisible but rather blend with the background to make you less noticeable.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
lol. I like this question too. Funny where our minds can go at bedtime.

But, if you are "invisible", then you still exist, so you are there, only people can't see you. I mean, I have wondered if spirits can see because they have no physical eyes, and if they do see, then things must look very different.

But if you are not a spirit, but still just a person...who is invisible.....
Then you still have your body, people just can't see it. I mean, you cannot walk through walls, and people cannot pass through you, because you are still there they just can't see you.

And this is so convoluted and entangled in my own words that I can't even understand it anymore myself.

So by *my* definition of invisible, then yes you can see, because you still have eyes. They are just invisible. lol. I have wallowed in this. I'm done.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
It seems that the ability of the rods and cones in your eyes to work would depend upon the ability to stop light thereby requiring that they be opaque.

This is not correct.

Invisible compounds stop and absorb light all the time, and this well known fact is what gives rise to the massive field of chemistry called spectroscopy.

Any chemist reading this thread would not hesitate to agree that being invisible would not deprive you of your ability to see.

[edit on 15/8/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus

Originally posted by badgerprints
It seems that the ability of the rods and cones in your eyes to work would depend upon the ability to stop light thereby requiring that they be opaque.

This is not correct.

Invisible compounds stop and absorb light all the time, and this well known fact is what gives rise to the massive field of chemistry called spectroscopy.

I didn't know that. Very cool.

So, are the surfaces of the rods and cones in our eyes actually spectroscopic?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Your only workable way of making a body out of transparent materials and still being able to see is to use your spiritual ability to see. This is well documented in out-of-body and remote viewing experiences. Perhaps this answer side-steps the question, but if a being could not detect light, we wouldn't have bothered to design bodies that could do it for us. Of course the premise is not very workable. I don't think anyone would realistically try to make a body like that. "Cloaking" technology is where it's at for vehicles that can carry a power source, and I think going exterior is the best way for a human to become "invisible."

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I remember on TV about a young black kid in America being blind. He was using a form of Sonar I think to find his way around. He created the sonar effect by using his tongue/Throat to make a clicking noise.

His name was Ben Underwood. Died recently he was using Human Echolocation.

Human Echolocation

Don't know if this helps to point you in a direction.

But I must this is one of the better questions I seen on this site...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join