It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

84-year old Woman Smashed Into the Ground By Cops

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Neither do I quite frankly; honestly I think I may never fit in here if I don't join the All Cops Are Nazi Pig Scum Club.

While I realize your response was to a fellow member's post and not my own, I also Do Not subscribe to the "All cops are bad" mindset either. I live in south-central PA and have Yet to encounter a situation the likes of Much that which is posted and/or portrayed here on the boards.

The few times I have had any sort of encounter with local police and/or our state troopers have resulted in mere warnings (inspection, etc.), a ticket, or perhaps a word of caution ... never anything more.

Though, in this particular situation it would seem readily apparent that the officer(s) in question did Not do what they are Trained to do... ASSESS the situation, prior to taking what is deemed the necessary course of action.

The elderly woman was Not directly threatening anyone. The officer(s) Nor those around her ... in any way shape or form.

IMO, the video clearly shows all that need be shown. She was obviously disoriented, holding the knife in a downward NON-threatening position, made No assertive actions towards the officer(s) in question, NOR did she raise a hand towards them or others in ANY manner that could be construed as such - threatening.

To have "taken her down" in the manner they did would seem Most certainly disproportionate at the Very least ... and if she has since succumbed to those injuries suffered as a result thereof, then it's my opinion that the officer(s) actions should definitely be reviewed for possible legal recourse, if not outright arrest and subsequent prosecution.

To be honest, and No I'm not an advocate for such, but they could have just as easily pulled their taser and neutralized ANY threat they apparently felt she posed ... not that she Truly posed Any threat, just saying.

Over the top response, in this particular case, situation.

$.02

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by billybobh3

Oh right, so she deserves to be slammed down to the ground with such force her head is split open? If she dies, and it was you whom carried this brutal police act out.

Could you live with it? I know I would not be able to.

I certianly hope the police officer in question, thinks about what she has done to that old lady.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Yep, good post. Involuntary manslaughter in my opinion, and that's cutting the cop a break. Let a jury of her peers decide.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

All of you people are far too soft.

She was a problem, the situation was handled. YOU do a better job in the same circumstance with adrenaline coursing through your system.

EVERYONE is a critic, yet NOT ONE of the critics have been have faced with a similar circumstance.

Just wait until the SHTF, you will ALL be singing a different tune.

No, she wan't a problem...she was a human being feeling confused and vulnerable with some hulk shouting at her. Funny how nobody else in that car park appeared to have adrenaline coursing through their veins even though just a few feet away from her. When and if the SHTF I seriously doubt it will consist of a crowd of 84 year old women suffering from alzheimers holding knives passively by their side.

It is people so devoid of human compassion, who feel this is perfectly ok to do to someone so frail, that is the biggest problem in this world.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Im sorry but people that are sticking up for this sort of behaviour from the police are idiots!!!! no body around the woman looked like they was being threatened by the old lady. Everyone was getting on with their own business. UNTILL the police used a stupid amount of aggression then the public seemed quite annoyed. I hope the same happens to that bitch that launched her to the ground when she is in her 80s. The police in england are dick's but im fairly sure we wouldnt be seeing # like that over here. That really has shocked me. The police woman didnt even talk to her for long. There is one word for this and that is SICK!

O and let me add that the police woman didnt look as if she looked threatened in any way!

[edit on 13/8/2009 by theflashor]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I know it is a minority here that subscribe to that club. I was feeling annoyed that I was being called unreasonable and ridiculous when there are people claiming they'd jump in and fight the officer.

The motto around here is Deny Ignorance and yet people brazenly claim they would rush to the old woman's defense well after the fact and possessing far more facts about the case than anyone at the time of the incident.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
old women are pretty tough. i bet she was about a hundred pounds. but maybe she carried around knitting needles. i would run from a tough 84 year old fragile old lady.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I get where you're coming from
but in this particular case, situation it's rather hard Not to see that they could have handled the situation in a more practical, professional AND/OR appropriate manner.

There was NO need to slam that woman to the ground as they did, as she posed a threat to no one but herself, imho.

just saying...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
Im sorry but people that are sticking up for this sort of behaviour from the police are idiots!!!! no body around the woman looked like they was being threatened by the old lady. Everyone was getting on with their own business. UNTILL the police used a stupid amount of aggression then the public seemed quite annoyed. I hope the same happens to that bitch that launched her to the ground when she is in her 80s. The police in england are dick's but im fairly sure we wouldnt be seeing # like that over here. That really has shocked me. The police woman didnt even talk to her for long. There is one word for this and that is SICK!

O and let me add that the police woman didnt look as if she looked threatened in any way!

[edit on 13/8/2009 by theflashor]

Thank you.

From my perspective, the old woman looked scared, which is why she had the knife in the first place. She was afraid, she needed a kind reassuring voice from that lowlife cop, not "field orders" --- a compassionate cop especially another woman could have had the knife and been holding the old lady's hand in two minutes flat.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by oneclickaway

I'll say it again... CLEARLY this time.

Your the Cop... WHAT DO YOU DO?

Once again, I DON'T want to hear any of your altruistic crap.

You know what? You DON'T KNOW what you're going to do, because you've NEVER been there! So STFU. Stop blaming the cop, and start seeing things from a realistic perspective.

EVERYONE is perfect online... makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
She wasn't slammed to the ground.

The officer put a wrist lock on her. There wasn't any type of slam done to the old woman.

A wrist lock is usually a very safe disarming technique. Ended up that a freak accident occured and now everyone is jumping up and down screaming for vengeance.

Typical cop bashing thread.

Now if the officer had picked her up and smashed her into the ground as the title says, then yes, the officer needs to be fired and time in jail. That isn't what happened though.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
reply to post by eNumbra

There was NO need to slam that woman to the ground as they did, as she posed a threat to no one but herself, imho.

just saying...

No there wasn't any need for it, and I haven't once condoned the officer's decision. As I have already stated at least twice, I see a situation that wasn't likely to have a good ending either way. Since everyone was so adamant that they could have done better I thought someone needed to at least pose that the officer was merely doing her job. (regardless of how good she may or may not be at it)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Yeah, I'd be able to live with it. She had a weapon and was willing to use it against me.

Are you stupid enough to take a potentially fatal knife wound from a 'frail old confused woman'? I'm not...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybobh3
So STFU. Stop blaming the cop, and start seeing things from a realistic perspective.

While I won't nor can't action in a thread I'm participating in, I would caution you with regards general overall etiquette and language used in responses.

No need for that type response towards a fellow member of the boards.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

How many people here are LEOs? How many people here have ever been in a situation with a disoriented person of any age and sex with a weapon in hand? You don't know how you will react until the situation arises.

I am not a LEO I am there professional cousin though. I have seen the way good cops handle this type of situation. I already told you the technique they used.

You said something about a shattered hand? It would not have "shattered" may have broke a bone or two...

A head injury that could have also been a C-spine injury to the elderly is a fatal blow in most cases. the tissue of an older person is very thin and more paper-like. The whiplash effect of her hitting the ground like that should have twisted her brain and killed her or broke her neck.

She was seriously injured from this.

Anything would have been better than to whiplash her into the ground, you should not be defending this type of action after seeing the video. You need to check yourself.

This was really bad. This cop needs to be taken off the street for that kind of judgment call. They have YOUR life in there hands and need to have better judgment than that or not carry weapons.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I beat the crap out of that old lady and take her social security check with me to teach her a lesson about attempting to stab someone.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Once again, I DON'T want to hear any of your altruistic crap.

You know what? You DON'T KNOW what you're going to do, because you've NEVER been there! So STFU. Stop blaming the cop, and start seeing things from a realistic perspective.

By that response you define yourself clearly as one of the very people who are the biggest problem in this world.
By the way, by infringing the rules by telling me to STFU, you also show me your level of intellectual capacity and immaturity. Speak to me in 20 years...not before.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So taking down an old lady requires brut force? Are the police whimps or what? If they did that to my grand mother, my attorney would sue them into the ground, to the point they would never have anything ever again and I mean anything...

As the old saying goes, both Criminals and Cops are stupid, just on opposite sides of the law.

If a police officer asks you to drop your weapon; you either drop your weapon or you have it taken from you. This is how a dangerous situation is resolved.

There was a thread on this earlier and the story apparently went that the old lady was brandishing the knife at people. So either the woman is put down physically or she gets tazed. Either way no one would be happy with the outcome, so maybe those people who still ASSUME the police are first and foremost bullies should get the facts and learn to properly assess a situation.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by billybobh3
So STFU. Stop blaming the cop, and start seeing things from a realistic perspective.

While I won't nor can't action in a thread I'm participating in, I would caution you with regards general overall etiquette and language used in responses.

No need for that type response towards a fellow member of the boards.

Point well taken. Will curb my emotional responses going forward.

My sincerest apologies to all.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
You said something about a shattered hand? It would not have "shattered" may have broke a bone or two...

I said wrist, and if we're to take into account the facts of the situation... an 84 year old woman's wrist is more than likely going to break if struck with a police baton. And this is forgetting that I point out at the end of the statement that people would still likely be calling for blood.

Instead of seeing an elderly woman thrown to the ground, we'd be seeing am LEO strike an elderly woman with a baton and proceed to try to help her as she's collapsed to the ground nursing a wrist that is in all likely-hood broken.

And this will be the last time I repeat myself in this thread. I haven't condoned her decision, I'm not defending the decision, I'm trying to illuminate all the people who refuse to think they could possibly have made a poor decision in the same situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join