Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

84-year old Woman Smashed Into the Ground By Cops

page: 1
31
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

84-year old Woman Smashed Into the Ground By Cops


www.dispatch.com

A video of an officer taking an 84-year-old woman to the ground to wrestle a steak knife from her in a Walmart parking lot has exploded into a YouTube phenomenon.

A few years ago, this sort of incident might have gotten a little play in the local media and then disappeared from public interest, viral-video experts say. But this is the age of online video sharing and social media.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This country sucks. The media assumes the cops are right every time, and the citizens come to help them torture folks instead of protesting a situation.
Man, this chic had blood pouring out of her head. And then they didn't charge her with anything. Isn't that being partial to old people?
This country is completely backwards.
Disinfo crew comments follow below:

www.dispatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
That video made me feel nauseous...

If I ever saw anyone treating an old woman like that, I would kick their skull in. Cop or no cop, knife or no knife, there is no reason to treat a woman with a walker-cane like that.

For those of you who say the cops were just doing their job, think about how easy it would have been to just punch the old lady in the wrist, to get her to drop the knife... yeah, punching an old lady in the hand might seem mean, but it's an easy way out of a terrible situation.

Cops = terrorists.



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious
 


How can authorities say people are taking this "out of context"??? She's 84-freakin-years-old....with Alzheimer's, no less. And she's flung to the pavement so hard she cracks her head and bleeds!

What "context" are THEY seeing this in that makes this ok? At 84yrs old (and skinny as a rail) she could've been subdued MUCH gentler than that. Bad form Coppers, bad form



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by starsyren
reply to post by MegaCurious
 


How can authorities say people are taking this "out of context"??? She's 84-freakin-years-old....with Alzheimer's, no less. And she's flung to the pavement so hard she cracks her head and bleeds!

What "context" are THEY seeing this in that makes this ok? At 84yrs old (and skinny as a rail) she could've been subdued MUCH gentler than that. Bad form Coppers, bad form


It's out of context, because the video doesn't show the cops laughing it up after the ambulance hauls the old lady away.




posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If a police officer asks you to drop your weapon; you either drop your weapon or you have it taken from you. This is how a dangerous situation is resolved.

There was a thread on this earlier and the story apparently went that the old lady was brandishing the knife at people. So either the woman is put down physically or she gets tazed. Either way no one would be happy with the outcome, so maybe those people who still ASSUME the police are first and foremost bullies should get the facts and learn to properly assess a situation.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by eNumbra]



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Completely ott, oks they could have managed to obtain the knife from her, without having to resort to slammingher on the ground like that. Completely shocking, to say the least.



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I agree that the police officer did take her down to hard, but what was she doing walking around a parking lot with a steak knife in the first place??
If she does have a mental disability her daughter should never have left her alone in a public place especially with access to a knife. Who knows with a mental disability she could have just stabbed a complete stranger or walked into a moving car.



[edit on 13/8/2009 by wycky]



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
Completely ott, oks they could have managed to obtain the knife from her, without having to resort to slammingher on the ground like that.


What technique would you have used?



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra
 


Would you be saying this if this was your mother or grandmother they slammed to the ground?

No you would not. You would be angry and upset.



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You have to be kidding me, if an old women came running at me, i dont care how old she is, and tried to stab me with a steak knife, i would knock her the f**k out without hesitation..

Just because shes an old woman it dosent mean she cant drive that knife through your heart, then what? yes, your stone dead.
And all because the sweet old woman had a knife..

You guys are living in fairy land..



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance Denied
 


Does it show in the video, that she was running about, trying tostabb someone?

No it did not. Dont make assumptions until it actually shows she was doing what you are suggesting in your post!



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by eNumbra
 


Would you be saying this if this was your mother or grandmother they slammed to the ground?

No you would not. You would be angry and upset.

Don't appeal to emotion, answer my question. You pose the hypothetical that they could have retrieved the knife from her without force; how would that have gone down?


Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by Ignorance Denied
 


Does it show in the video, that she was running about, trying tostabb someone?

No it did not. Dont make assumptions until it actually shows she was doing what you are suggesting in your post!

You are making the same assumption that she is an innocent old lady because the video doesn't show anything before the confrontation.



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra
 


There are defiantly other methods i have done Martial Arts and their are plenty of methods that can be used to disarm someone with a gun or knife, but i think with the Police Training they are taught to get a person to the ground the quickest way possible to immobilise and cuff them.
Maybe thats the problem its not the officers themselves they are just doing what they have been trained.


+1 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Female cop in 20's-30's, in prime physical condition vs. female Alzheimer's patient with cane

The woman wasn't "brandishing" the knife...it was just in her hand. And with as frail as she looks, there's no reason that cop couldn't have just gripped her arm and yanked the knife away. She definitely used too much force given the situation



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wycky
reply to post by eNumbra
 


There are defiantly other methods i have done Martial Arts and their are plenty of methods that can be used to disarm someone with a gun or knife, but i think with the Police Training they are taught to get a person to the ground the quickest way possible to immobilise and cuff them.
Maybe thats the problem its not the officers themselves they are just doing what they have been trained.

I'm aware there are ways to disarm a person without slamming them to the ground. The problem is, if someone is brandishing a knife (blade is obviously pointing outward) and you go to disarm by grabbing around the weapon arm you will more than likely be getting slashed.

The only reason there is a percieved problem here is that it happened to an elderly woman.



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well they didn't seem to have any trouble grabbing her arm in order to throw her to the ground. Seems to me that they could have simply taken the knife from her hand instead.

OR, talked her out of the knife. I didn't see any effort to use persuasion, and I'm certain that that is supposed to be the first tactic used by policy before resorting to the physical.



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is not the woman's fault
she had alzheimers, she didn't even know where she was

what kind of training do cops get?
They aren't able to disarm a super skinny 84 year old woman?

pathethic cops

I hate this world!



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
As the baby boomer generation gets older, there's going to be a hell of a lot of us out there to cope with. I sure hope the cops come up with a better strategy to handle old people before I find myself in that situation.

Its not too far away either.

Can't they use any discretion and common sense, or are they just too young to have developed any?



posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Well they didn't seem to have any trouble grabbing her arm in order to throw her to the ground. Seems to me that they could have simply taken the knife from her hand instead.
Assuming anyone is helpless and feeble is a bad idea; simply grabbing her arm could have led to a struggle over the knife and someone getting hurt. Putting her on the ground took away any leverage the old woman had. That's why the police are trained to get a suspect on the ground.



OR, talked her out of the knife. I didn't see any effort to use persuasion, and I'm certain that that is supposed to be the first tactic used by policy before resorting to the physical.
She's an Alzhiemer's patient walking around a parking lot holding a steak knife. It's not very likely she was coherent enough for that; and the officer likely asked her to put the knife down at LEAST once as she was walking up to her, you can even see the officer pointing, so she's clearly issuing instructions. Resorting to the physical takedown only happens when its obvious the woman is not going to drop the knife.


But here's the problem. We can't here what either the officer or the woman are saying and there's no footage prior to the incident. It's all out of context.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by eNumbra]






top topics



 
31
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join