It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing religion, becasue of a relationship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm interested in this, becasue of a couple of reasons. I know a guy, who convertied to Islam, because he met an Islamic woman, and it made her faimly happy. he follws the "rules" (no booze, no pork and he had the snip ect) But I can't understand how you can actually convert to a belief system that you don't believe in, just to make someone else's family happy. To me, it defies to object completly.

So, the question is....would you? Or, Could you?

I know my answer (it's NO) I have my own belief system, and I'm happy with it, taa

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If they do not respect him without the religion change, then it's not him they respect after the religion change. There is no way of getting around that.

If they were talking about understanding rather than tradition, I could see some wiggle room, but it doesn't appear the family is about understanding at all. Understanding is universal, so if they were to focus on the understanding they would likely find common ground in the "beliefs". But if the focus is only on the literal, only on the idol and only on the traditions, then no common ground is to be had.

However, if it's just to make her parents happy, then it's probably not even to be worried about. Unless he is really changing things. I'm reminded of "The Good men" who roamed during the reign of the Roman Catholic Church.

These guys taught outside the church, and the Church hunted them down as heretics. When it came to the traditions of the catholic church, they would say - a little bread never hurt anyone. Meaning, it was best to just go along to make them happy, and not worth the fight of going against such a power. Of course, they just kept with the church for public appearence, and in private and practice did differently.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Seems utterly ridiculous to changes ones religion to suit someone else, that being said I know a dude who did just that and I can't for the life of me grasp his reasoning beyond physical nonsense. Honestly I question those who can perform such a switch because they obviously weren't very dedicated to their former religion and likely are just as unattached to the new one either, so is someone like that really a person of upstanding character?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There must be something about the woman that he did this.

She must have qualities worth dying for!

top topics

join