It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black president: Will the blacks rule? A question...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

So, do you think that the long list of former white presidents put the interests of white people ahead of other American citizens?

Or is this something that you think only people of color do?

Also, yes people were crying on the day that Obama got elected. Why? Because only 45 years after Dr. King gave his famous speech, here was a black man who had been elected president of the US. They cried because they felt proud.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nicholaswa

wrong thread.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by canihavemyvoteback]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

No your not alone, but sometimes it takes to much energy for me to "deny ignorance" from people who are supposed to be "denying ignorance".

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

All I can say is I don't think so. Also a lot of blacks hate Obama, I'm black and hate him and everyone I know does too. Sure 95 percent of blacks that actually voted voted for him, but probably about 50 percent of blacks or less in this country actually voted. Also who should they have voted for, McCain? Bwahahahahahahhaa
. This is the reason I didnt vote, because all the candidates were horrible.

I'd be happy with a black president as long as hes a man of all people and for all people, but I just don't trust Obama in the slightest.

I do think this post title and the way the OP worded his opening post comes off as quite ignorant. I mean just the title, "Will the blacks rule" is so freaking funny.

I'm not calling you racist though, I'm not one to pull the race card.

Also why does everyone seem to ignore that Obama is half white?

And to you people that think the average black person identifies with Obama, you are so wrong. The average black person relates to him in no way whatsoever.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
dble post, sorry.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nicholaswa
I realize I might be the only African American on ATS (???). I hope the moderators will understand, then, that there are some threads that cross the line, and force me to feel like I have to point out just how dumb they are, and how such notions run in opposition to the statement, "deny ignorance."

You aren't alone here. I'm black too. I however don't like Obama. But you arent alone, there are lots of black guys/gals here, this site has 1000s of members.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Hmmmm ... well it's happened in music, why not in politics?

The music? What does that mean.. I hope you know that 90 percent of every form of modern music came from "black music". Rock came from blues and jazz and so on... If you think people like elvis invented rock, you are wrong. As far as rap, yes that seems to be the dominant form of music now, but 95 percent of modern rap is the worst music I've ever heard lol. No one likes that crap except dumb teenagers. I mean these idiots like lil wayne and lil jon are freaking jokes. No talent whatsoever. Can't write good lyrics, every song is unintelligable and about nothing, lol. I don't even consider it music.

Without people like Robert Johnson who was a blues guitarist/singer from the 30s for instance, wed had never have had rock and roll. Just about everyone from the greatest bands ever from Dylan to Zeppelin credits him as a major influence.

The music I like is old blues, 60s rock like Bob Dylan and stuff, 70s funk and soul, and 80s and 90s hip hop. Music is horrible nowadays whether its rock, rap or whatever. And don't even get me started on that whiney emo BS. "Black music" is some of the best and most respected music of all time. As far as blues, jazz and rock n roll atleast.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The President is just a man. The color of his skin should have no bearing on how he runs the country and what decisions he makes. I think the Op's friend is a little backward.

However, having said that... personally I'm not a fan of Barry. Like many, I don't like the way he's trying to implement his policies... and I have some major issues with the fine print.

It may be due to this that there appears to be bigger divisions amongst US citizens now than than there ever was.

IRM

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Nonsense and paranoid nonsense at best? Who do you think runs the political systems of the world. Is it Governments who are always short of cash with politicians fighting like rabid dogs to line their pockets with taxpayers money? Or is it an elite cabal of people whose wealth is measured in trillions of dollars?

In short, the middle classes do the work and pay their taxes and the rich pay no taxes at all and reap the rewards from their slaves. Colour never had, and never will, have anything to do with it.

Mr Obama is a figurehead like all of your Presidents. How many reporters will go back to Dubya to ask about the fine print of his US legislation or his foreign policy? None - not a single reporter will dare to interview him, because he has none of the answers. Mr Obama is a highly intelligent man but he is also bound to listen to a cabinet which is wholly composed of Trilateral Commission members.

The only decisions, in reality, he will be allowed to make is to choose the furnishings and curtains for the Whitehouse and to organise tennis schedules for the Interns.

Please face reality.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

I did give him a chance at cutting the debt.

But I'm from the common sense era where you can't spend money to save money. In the last 8 months all Obama has been talking about is spend, spend, spend or the good ol US of A will not survive.

There was a common sense era? And in that era folks thought that you can't earn money by spending money? Must have been pre keynes. (en.wikipedia.org...) Are you a time traveller?

Glad we are over that era huh?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The biggest problem is that Obama isn't black, or white, he's of mixed origins, neither being one or the other...

Did you guys hear anything about a "black" man winning the F1 race
championships ? (Lewis Hamilton is as black and white as Obama is)... i guess not

Double standards, the world's biggest problem imho...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

because all the candidates were horrible.
it's also the reason i have never voted and never will.
what he said.i hate every one of the pieces of /and i better stop right there.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Considering the large amount of replies I'll try and answer the majority of peoples posts in one go.

I'll say again I'm not racist and I didn't intend to offend anyone. I like in the UK and to be completely honest I don't really care about Barrack Obama.

This isn't a thinly disguised attempt at racism as one poster suggested. I'm being honest when I say that this was a question from a friend that knows I come on this site and suggested I pose the question, believe that or not...

I understand the replies that have explained why black people would cry when a black president has just been elected, a sense of pride perhaps?

Maybe I'm being naive in thinking that only the president runs America, I'll accept that.

On page 1 of this thread I quoted a news article that states militia groups are on the rise in America and one of the reasons is because a black president has been elected.

So its obviously affecting some people, although in all likeliness this is probably going to be ignorant white racists and violent ones at that.

Is it possible that blacks will feel more powerful now that a black president has been elected???

I'll admit I don't know that much about American history but is it possible after the years of slavery and pain blacks endured under the control of white people now that there is a black president blacks would feel as if they had some form of control over whites?

I know some people might think this is a pretty ignorant thread but I'm being serious in my questions.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Firstly,if a Pakistani was made prime minister of Britain the country would erupt in total anarchy with ethnic minorities being subjected to unprecedented levels of violence.
I think,however, that generally it is not so much the ethnicity of the person in office that would determine favourable treatment for those from his/her ethnic background,more the thinking of the person in office themselves,look at Mandela for instance,who expected him to treat the white Soth Africans in such a humanitarian manner after the years of abuses under the rule of apartheid? whereas if for example it had been someone like a Mugabe who gained power the outcome would have been so different.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It seems to me that the reason Black people were so happy to see Obama take office is the same reason I was so happy - it represented one less barrier between our people ("our people" being "Americans").

It took the United States 230-odd years to elect a Black president. The reason had nothing to do with a lack of qualified Black people to take the office. It had to do with racism and distrust between people, the belief that somehow Blacks and Whites are fundamentally different.

I live in Chicago, where we've had two Black mayors I can think of (I don't much care about Chicago politics, so I don't know exactly how many we've had). We also had a woman mayor. Did the Blacks or women take over Chicago? Hardly. Mostly it was business as usual, maybe a bit more fairness for minorities, maybe not even that. Certainly the Blacks didn't take over the city as many had feared. Nor did the women take it over.

Black, White, male, female, gay, straight, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim,, Hindu, Buddhist - it's all just people. Most of us want the same things - a safe, clean place to live, good schools for our children, jobs that offer a living wage, good health and health care, the basic things that make life worthwhile and comfortable. Sure you've got the jerks and crooks in every group, but mostly it's just people trying to get by in life and provide for their kids.

No, the "Blacks" aren't going to take over. We're just learning that it's OK to have a Black man as president. Some day we'll have a woman president, and a Muslim, and maybe even a gay president. Or maybe a Black Muslim lesbian. Some day we'll learn to judge people by their words and deeds, and not by their race, religion, gender, orientation, or all those stupid little facts we judge them by now.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Death_Kron
The question I was told to ask was what would happen if the UK had a Pakistani Prime-Minister?

A Pakistani is from a different country than the UK. A different nationality. Barack Obama is American. Not a different nationality!

I am dumbfounded at this thread. You can tell "your friend" that this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

Not to be argumentative, but there is a growing number of us Americans, who do not believe that Obama is an American. And that he very well might be of the Muslim faith. I personally believe that Obama is going to prove to be a very dangerous individual.

Usually I don't care diddly-squat about another person's religious beliefs or lack-thereof; BUT; when it comes to a religion such as the one the 'O' was participating in while running for office, and 20 yrs prior to that; then I have a problem. I personally heard a tape of Jeremiah Wright preaching that the white race was sub-human and should have their ears and lips cut off, cooked and eaten.

What kind of potential American President participates in this type of hatred in this day and age, and we know about it, and still vote him into office??

[edit on 14-8-2009 by sizzle]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   

As far as blacks feeling more powerful because hes pres, maybe some do, but I don't. But I don't feel the need to feel powerful, power leads to corruption. Also the average person, especially poor people (and not just blacks) Obama is hardly doing anything for. Grrrr Obama boils my blood! I do admit a lot of poorer uneducated black people voted for Obama because they were tricked and deceived thinking he'd help them! Sure hes doing this healthcare thing, but I hardly consider that "help".

Btw with my posts a few posts above I wasnt calling you racist, I just think you could have made a different title for the thread. To some it may come off as ignorant sounding.

Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
It seems to me that the reason Black people were so happy to see Obama take office is the same reason I was so happy - it represented one less barrier between our people ("our people" being "Americans").

It took the United States 230-odd years to elect a Black president. The reason had nothing to do with a lack of qualified Black people to take the office. It had to do with racism and distrust between people, the belief that somehow Blacks and Whites are fundamentally different.

I live in Chicago, where we've had two Black mayors I can think of (I don't much care about Chicago politics, so I don't know exactly how many we've had). We also had a woman mayor. Did the Blacks or women take over Chicago? Hardly. Mostly it was business as usual, maybe a bit more fairness for minorities, maybe not even that. Certainly the Blacks didn't take over the city as many had feared. Nor did the women take it over.

Black, White, male, female, gay, straight, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim,, Hindu, Buddhist - it's all just people. Most of us want the same things - a safe, clean place to live, good schools for our children, jobs that offer a living wage, good health and health care, the basic things that make life worthwhile and comfortable. Sure you've got the jerks and crooks in every group, but mostly it's just people trying to get by in life and provide for their kids.

No, the "Blacks" aren't going to take over. We're just learning that it's OK to have a Black man as president. Some day we'll have a woman president, and a Muslim, and maybe even a gay president. Or maybe a Black Muslim lesbian. Some day we'll learn to judge people by their words and deeds, and not by their race, religion, gender, orientation, or all those stupid little facts we judge them by now.

Nice post. This is exactly my thoughts on this. You put it much more eloquently than I did
.However I dont know if you support Obama or not, but I dont like him, for a few reasons.

Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
This friend of mine believes that Obama, being black himself, will put his fellow peoples best interests at heart above those of the white people.

Simply put: Absurd.

Does your friend know anything at all about the president? Anything about his life or origins at all?

He is not black, but mixed, a kind of light brown color that is the perfect blend of his paternal father's Kenyan dark and his mother's creamy white.

He is as black as he is white, raised for the most part by his white grandparents.

"The blacks," as your friend put it, are not going to 'rule over' whites in America any times soon, and if they do, it will have very little to do with Obama. Even if they attempted something like this, by sheer number, the whites in America, in all likelihood supported by most other races and indeed most blacks (I imagine) who were opposed to the creation of a South-Africa-style racist apartheid state, really wouldn't have too much trouble deposing them.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by sorennn]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Thats alright mate, I didn't take it as you was calling me racist, I'll agree the thread title is a little sensationalistic.

Like I said I don't know that much about American politics so maybe I am slightly ignorant. I'll admit I didn't realise there was a large majority of black people who don't agree with Obama.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join