It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black president: Will the blacks rule? A question...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hello all,

Firstly let me point out that I do not wish to offend anyone with this thread and that I am in no way being racist. I simply want to ask a question that someone posed to me the other day and hear your responses.

My friend is of the opinion that now that America has a black president there is the possibility of blacks ruling over the whites.

Black people who attended his acceptance/winning (whatever you call it) speech were over-joyed with happiness and some even crying. Why would they be so happy that their president is black?

Which is more important your presidents skin colour or that he has your countrys best interests at heart?

This friend of mine believes that Obama, being black himself, will put his fellow peoples best interests at heart above those of the white people.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying I agree with this theory but I do understand the point my friend was trying to make and could see something similiar albeit on a smaller scale occuring.

The question I was told to ask was what would happen if the UK had a Pakistani Prime-Minister? How would the UK public react? How would they feel?

I'm not inferring that there is anything wrong with Pakistani's, I just simply picked them as a different race.

Surely it would make sense that if a Pakistani was prime-minister he/she would put their own people first?

I probably haven't explained very well but I think you will probably get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

What are your thoughts?

Edit to add:

In a strange coincidence I just glanced at the thread What will be the spark? by UdontKnowme and found this quote from a news article -

Militia groups with gripes against the government are regrouping across the country and could grow rapidly, according to an organization that tracks such trends. The stress of a poor economy and a liberal administration led by a black president are among the causes for the recent rise, the report from the Southern Poverty Law Center says

A black president is one of the causes for recent rise in Militia groups?

I'm not usually a quote stealer but found it applicable to this thread.

Edit again: Re-titled the thread

[edit on 13/8/09 by Death_Kron]

CX

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Interesting question, and one that i am sure will get some straight answers.

Personaly, to me it doesn't matter what colour or race a person is, as long as they stick to the way the country has always been run, and you don't start trying to introduce Pakistani type laws.

If you want to run the UK, you run it like a Brit, if you want to run it like another country, go run for office there.

It's like Obama's situation, theres people up in arms because he might be Kenyan, well if you ask me, the previous US born presidents haven't exactly done a good job have they? No different here.

Change the administration and policies by all means, but don't change the country's basic rule of living.

If i wanted to live in Pakistan, i'd go there.

Then again, most of the things that people won't like about the way a country runs, boils down to the religous values they follow.

I don't like the Christian way of life here in the UK, but it seems to be a bit more "take it or leave it" than other religions do. Therefore i leave it.

Tell you what.....i'll do you a deal.....totaly ban all religion, and i couldn't care less if little green men ran the country.

CX.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I am not a religious person but some of my friends are and I respect them for their beliefs and vice versa. But we should consider ourselves lucky that in the UK religion isn't forced upon us as strong as it is in other countries.

To be honest when it comes to the race of a prime minster I am not bothered. All I care about when it comes to voting I can pick one that will benefit me, my family, etc... So far I haven't picked one! But I hope that will change in the future....wishful thinking?

I've been aware of some Muslims in the UK protesting to get Sharia law instated instead of Parliamentary law with the Islamic flag flying outside downing street. That worries me a bit but I think that is because I read the Daily Mail too much

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
[edit on 14-8-2009 by alien]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Quite Possible. A long period of affirmative action coupled with a widespread "white guilt" has put a disproportionate number of blacks in positions of authority in schools, local & state and now the federal government. Seems that most persons chosen by Obama to fill vacant positions are minorities. Minority rule has taken place all over the world. It does not however, last very long. The majority of Americans that voted for Obama have now seen that the change he so eloquently spoke of is change for the worse. Anytime working people's money is confiscated and given to those too lazy to work for themselves a great deal of anger is fostered. That anger will continue to brew until a turning point is reached and the political pendulum will swing back in the other direction. I just hope that we will be able to keep the damage to a minimum in order that our country and our way of life survives into the future...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
The question I was told to ask was what would happen if the UK had a Pakistani Prime-Minister?

A Pakistani is from a different country than the UK. A different nationality. Barack Obama is American. Not a different nationality!

I am dumbfounded at this thread. You can tell "your friend" that this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

This friend of mine believes that Obama, being black himself, will put his fellow peoples best interests at heart above those of the white people.

what makes you so sure he defines "his people" the way you define "his people". i suspect he defines "his people" the way any other politician defines their people, as anyone who can do do something for them.

The question I was told to ask was what would happen if the UK had a Pakistani Prime-Minister? How would the UK public react? How would they feel?

depends on weather he was pakistani or of pakistani decent, i suspect. there is a world of difference between nationality and race, although it is interesting to consider that pakistan was part of britan for longer than it's been "pakistan".

A black president is one of the causes for recent rise in Militia groups?

six months ago i wouldn't have believed how weirdly racist america can be.

[edit on 13/8/09 by pieman]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
An interesting question. In my opinion, in order for that to happen, it would take a much longer time period than one term as President or even two.

The majority of his administration is still white. You would also need a major shift in numbers within the population.

The U.S. population's distribution by race and ethnicity in 2006 was as follows:[32][33]

Total population: 299 million
White alone: 74% or 221.3 million
Not including the 23.2 million White Hispanic and Latino Americans: 66% or 198.1 million
Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, of any race: 14.8% or about 44.3 million
Black or African American alone: 13.4% or 40.9 million
Some other race alone: 6.5% or 19 million
Asian alone: 4.4% or 13.1 million
Two or more races: 2.0% or 6.1 million
Native Americans in the United States or Alaska Native alone: 0.68% or 2.0 million
Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander alone: 0.14% or 0.43 million
These figures add up to more than 100% on this list because Hispanic and Latino Americans are distributed among all the races and are also listed as an ethnicity category, resulting in a double count.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...

I don't think any one race is ever going to dominate this country again. There are too many mixed couples, mixed children, mixed religeon, etc. Which I think is a good thing.

Obama's mother is white. He can't very well to begin to turn his back on the whites as a whole without turning his back on family, which would be a recipe for disaster for any President.

Besides, people still talk about this country in terms of black and white -- which is far from representative of our actual population.

What exactly do you think the hispanics, asians, and mixed racial background folks would be doing during this "takeover?"

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

First off, you claim not to want to be offensive or racist, then proceed to do just that under the guise of asking on behalf of “a friend.” Nevertheless, I’ll attempt to give some responses to the questions you pose.

First, there is no possibility of “the blacks ruling over the whites.” This is still America and democracy still prevails. I think what your trying to ask is whether or not if an American of African decent is in the White House, will other African/American citizens somehow gain an advantage over European Americans that have held the historical economic and educational advantages? The short answer is NO. But, it may be true that some “black” Americans will feel empowered by seeing a man of color in the White House and decide that maybe they can do more with their own lives through education and hard work. If such a thing happens, I say good for them.

Next, you ask “why would they be so happy that their president is black?” Again, you have to look at history. While it’s obviously true that slavery ended long ago and shouldn’t really be part of the current equation, Civil Rights has been a much more recent occurrence. They were quite simply happy for the same reason I think a lot of “white” people were happy. Obama’s election shows that just maybe we are getting beyond our petty black/white notions of race, to see that while there are certainly differences in race/religion/ethnicity, there are many more similarities and we are, in fact, all human. It was an emotional moment for some regardless of skin pigmentation.

Now, I’m not sure if you’re ready to hear this next part, but..... pssss I have a secret to tell you. Lean in close now...... Barack Obama’s mother was a white woman from Kansas. Shocker I know. He was raised by......wait for it......his white grandmother. So, I highly doubt he will put “his fellow peoples best interests at heart above those of the white people.”

Next, I have another secret for you. The British haven’t elected a Muslim Prime Minister, but you may be shocked out of your shorts to find that they did elect a Jewish prime minister. Way back in 1868. That’s right kids, 18(not19)68 they elected Mr. Benjamin Disraeli . I think their still doing alright over there in Great Britain, and guess what, another shocker, Mr. Disraeli didn’t even mandate that everyone must now wear a yarmulka.

Well, I hope this has been an interesting little read for you and maybe even educational. Your fears are unjustified, and your racism irrational. However, I wish you and yours a pleasant day.

-Peace

*edit for spelling*

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Artephius Abraxas Helios]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Artephius Abraxas Helios

First off, you claim not to want to be offensive or racist, then proceed to do just that under the guise of asking on behalf of “a friend.” Nevertheless, I’ll attempt to give some responses to the questions you pose.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Artephius Abraxas Helios]

This post deserves a million stars. And if I had them to give, I most certainly would. Kudos to you, sir.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Monger]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

My friend said,

"Yes"

But

Makes about as much sense as why this question was asked, any prime minister has to be a UK national regardless of skin colour etc.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Black people who attended his acceptance/winning (whatever you call it) speech were over-joyed with happiness and some even crying. Why would they be so happy that their president is black?

Oh, I do not know...maybe that whole ideal of equality had been reached.

"Which is more important your presidents skin colour or that he has your country's best interests at heart?"

Both...but the skin color shows that, as a nation, we believe that skin color does not matter.

"This friend of mine believes that Obama, being black himself, will put his fellow peoples best interests at heart above those of the white people."

Your friend, no offense, sounds like he could be a paranoid racist. But, I am sure he is not the only one thinking that way

Seriously now...I am not an Obama fan, but the fact that the slight majority of American's voted for a man of color is a step in the right direction. Yeah, there are going to be crazy whack jobs out there that think that this is the first sign of the apocalypse, but I think it says a lot that we have a black president. Now just wait until a woman is elected...that will bring out the real crazies!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
My thoughts are you CLEARLY STATED WHY MANY SHALL DECEND you called a half and half man 1 color black completely ignoring he is mixed. By doing this threadster you have proven why many are upset with gods BLESSING. Why do you feel so high up that you cannot even believe WHITES AND BLACKS CAN MIX AND MAKE CHILDREN you are sinking low in the beast kingdom as he wants you too VERY SAD PEOPLE VERY SAD. I only wish you luck with you guidence thru life for MANY ARE DAMMED GLOBALLY MANY.....

[edit on 8/13/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicholaswa
removed off topic remark.
2nd line

co sign GOD JUST WANTS TO SEE WHO ARE WORTHY for the unworthy will only see a black man......MY LORD IS INTELLIGENT HE IS HALF AND HALF WHY CAN I A BLACK MAN SEE THIS BUT SO MANY CANNOT??????? doomed some may be free energy afterall

[edit on 8/13/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

Edit to remove off topic remark.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
First off, this is not possible. Why do people think the president is the sole power in the country?

Even if he had a secret racial agenda (which I know he doesn't, but lets just entertain the thought for a moment), he still would need the approval of congress and the supreme court do implement anything drastic. Remember learning about checks and balances in school, people?

And if he had this agenda, wouldn't he surround himself with like-minded people? His cabinet doesn't seem to fit the profile to me.

Anyone who takes that job is faced with enormity of problems. I have never seen anyone leave the presidency and not look at least 30 years older than when he started.

If anyone feels threatened by having a black man in office, that is their own issue to deal with.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Violet Sky]

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Violet Sky]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Hmmmm ... well it's happened in music, why not in politics?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
My thoughts are you CLEARLY STATED WHY MANY SHALL DECEND you called a half and half man 1 color black completely ignoring he is mixed. By doing this threadster you have proven why many are upset with gods BLESSING. Why you feel so high up that you cannot even believe WHITES AND BLACKS CANNOT MIX AND MAKE CHILDREN you are sinking low in the beast kingdom as he wants you too VERY SAD PEOPLE VERY SAD. I only wish you luck with you guidence thru life for MANY ARE DAMMED GLOBALLY MANY.....

OK, I see what you are saying...however, society (unfortunately) dictates that someone with darker skin is black. Even though they may be of mixed race, they are labeled as "black" or "colored." This is years of segragational conditioning that has been passed down from generation to generation. Is it fair? No...we are all "people" right?

I do not think that the poster was saying anything about:

"Why you feel so high up that you cannot even believe WHITES AND BLACKS CANNOT MIX AND MAKE CHILDREN" - that was a little harsh. (unless I missed reading this in his post somewhere)

I think he was just falling into the historical view that people of mixed race, with darker skin are considered black. Be mad at our ancestors for this...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Really though, I think the fact he is (half) black is just a distraction. It makes people who oppose his views seem anti-progressive.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
For those who may be interested in others' perspectives, here's an interesting and well presented African American one on the current situation:

The Birthers and Jim Crow 2.0

The manufactured anger driving the birthers and health care town halls is the same white rage that has divided poor white people from poor black people for all of our history

Race relations are always more volatile at the lower end of the economic scale because more scarcity resides there ...

Those living within such a socioeconomic situation, be they black or white, will almost never get in a position to "rule."

[edit on 13 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join