It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Americans are on psych meds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Antidepresants, sleeping pills, attention deficit disorder meds, general sedatives like the ones that killed Heath Ledger or Michael Jackson, pharmaceutical painkillers taken on a chronic basis...

I'm not even going to mention illegal substances because I understand we are not allowed to talk about that on ATS these days.

So, even restricting ourselves to "purely legal" psych meds, how many people are popping these pills? Seems like damn near everyone. This strikes me as very alarming. I'm not talking about serious schizophrenics confined in hospitals, more like everyday people walking around basically strung out on some kind of benzodiazapam or SSRI or whatever, stuff they "need" to make it through an average day.

I find this trend extremely disturbing and far more widespread than it should be. I know there are legitimate cases where people are helped by these things, so I'm not ditching on those who truly needs them, but it seems like these days anyone can walk into a clinic, lay down some line about how they are feeling depressed or cant sleep or whatever, and then walk out five minutes later with enough medication to sedate a small African nation. This can't be good.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It's quite bad isn't it.

Of these 17 million, more than 10 million children are in the United States, being prescribed addictive stimulants, antidepressants and other psychotropic (mind-altering) drugs for educational and behavioral problems.

Between 1995 and 1999, antidepressant use increased 580% in the under 6 population and 151% in the 7-12 age group. In 2004, the FDA ordered that a "black box" label be placed on antidepressants warning that they can cause suicide in children and adolescents.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I'd say upwards of 95% are medicated. Just test your tap water and you'll discover a concoction of anti-biotics, anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. Not to mention chlorine and flouride which are psychoactive. No lie..

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'd also say, if you really want to know do a quick study along with your thread like this.

How many people in your direct family, (sister, brother, father, mother, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece.) Do you know are on Psychiatric Meds, (not found in water but from a doctor/s. You don't have to name who just 1/8 2/8 3/8 so on and so forth till 8/8.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The addiction to some pills like:OxyContin, Hydromorphone, morphine pills, is the worst addiction.

Someone who tries to quit going cold turkey can die for it.

Even someone who tries to quit heroin cold tukey can't die, so these pills are worst then heroin....

I'm pretty sure that in 10 years 3/4 of the population will be addicted to these. (maybe)

As for antidepressants and benzos, the addiction is all in their head, you give em a sugar pill and they'll feel the same.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I was on them, quit...now its like 2 months since the last dosis and i still have some symthoms of detox.

I know at least 15 people that gets them..2 out of four in my family takes them.
Often it is a mix of antidep and sleeping pills.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
As a former neuro/psych drug rep for GSK, I can tell you that exercise and diet beat any antidepressant for mild to moderate depression. Placebo nearly matches SSRI's in efficacy. If dosed high enough there is some benefit, but then your brain quits producing it's own mix of serotonin, norepinephrine and all the other brain chemicals. Your brain becomes dependent on synthetic boost of these chemicals that create a reuptake of serotoinin. This isn't good people. Serotonin exists in your digestive and other body systems- thus, constipation, thirst, vertigo, nausea...try exercise and a healthy diet first if you can. Antidepressants if you must- but you will put yourself into a vicious cycle, where you are dependent on the drug (just the way they like it) just to feel 'normal'. Antidepressants are the lazy way of trying to get better...not the right way.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I will try to be brief. I believe that years of being prescribed various different kinds of "brain drugs" over the years is the cause of my now having a seizure disorder. Since being forced into the hands of a psychiatrist at the age of 16, (in the early 80's), I have been given just about every one ever concocted. Sleeping pills, pills for anxiety, pills for depression, for mania....then I started to have surgeries, (I have endometriosis and a messed up gut)...10 of them since 1986! I quickly became a daily user of pain pills....then the "bipolar" diagnosis, (which I mostly don't buy) and the rx's for "mood stabilizers" (Thankfully, I am now down to only a small dose of estradiol cream post-hysterectomy and ONE seizure med).

I am sure I am NO different than say a person in 1709 who was severely abused as a child...or what ever else another person might have issues with/about/ as a result of.....and they didn't take all these meds to cope with themselves.....I dunno....I'm just sayin'......we, as a nation, use synthetic medications too much, (I'd say the more correct word to use would be RELY),,,,there's just about a medication for EVERYTHING....even extenze...(eyes rolling)...want to talk about SLAVERY.....

That's MY two cents, anyways.....

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'd like to share my story with you.

I was incarcerated for a while a couple years back. Not for anything insane, just simple marijuana charges. Well, when you first get incarcerated you see a mental health worker who then determines if you have a problem and then later you see a psychiatrist. Well, I told the worker that I was feeling a bit depressed, as you can imagine being locked up would do to you. She set up appointment with the pyshiatrist. Days later they put me on anti-depressants and a powerful bi-polar medicine, even though I showed no signs of being bi-polar ever in my life.

Needless to say I walked around like a zombie while incarcerated. My brain just didn't work, i felt like I had a lombadamie (is that how you spell that?). Anyway, when I was released I stopped taking the meds, for one because I had no insurance to cover them, but more because I was tired of being a walking zombie. The first, I'd say, 3 months I was having blackouts and sorts of other odd things happening to me mentally. But It's been a long time now since I've taken anything and I feel fine mentally. I really never had any mental problems before or after incarceration. And I feel like I'm back to normal. But while incarcerated and the first few months after it was hard to recognize myself. I often wonder how many people they put on meds that actually causes them to go crazy.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

but it seems like these days anyone can walk into a clinic, lay down some line about how they are feeling depressed or cant sleep or whatever, and then walk out five minutes later with enough medication to sedate a small African nation. This can't be good.

My husband has MS. He is in a remission state, and tried to return to work last year. The work he is accustomed to, requires heavy physical labor. While on the job last November he got injured, and is still not healed from a crush injury. He is scheduled to have a device implanted in his spine to deal with the pain.

Since last November he has seen 7 doctors. Sleeping has been a real problem due to the pain, and he has not had a normal nights sleep since the injury. He is up for a couple of hours at a time every night. I haven't slept much either, because I am a light sleeper and he wakes me up every time he gets out of, or back into bed.

He has asked every one of the 7 doctors for something to help him sleep at night, and every one of them has refused, until yesterday. Finally, the pain management doctor gave him something because after 3 injections into the spine that didn't work, my husband told him he was about to go nuts if he didn't get a full nights sleep. Every one of the doctors said they did not want to prescribe a narcotic, so yesterday, my husband was given a small prescription of something to help him sleep. 20 pills was all he got, and he was told to use them only when absolutely nescessary.

So, I'd like to know where all these said clinics are where people are issued all these drugs just by mentioning a need for them.

It has taken us nearly 9 months of pain and sleepless nights for my husband to get anything.

I think that getting drugs as easily as you describe is much more rare than you think.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

To be honest since you ask. Ellis County in Texas, Preferrably Ennis texas, see a Doctor Named Dr. Jinx. I hope I don't get banned for names, see him he will help him with whatever needs he needs for sleep, i've read and felt compassion, if you can make it here, and that's all I know to help. Pain is terrible, I can feel for him. This doctor is fairly cheap and prescription crazy, tell him what you need and he will prescribe, and if it is absolutely neccesary he will accomadate till all is well.

You need this. Or if anyone can find a closer doctor. Help.

new topics

top topics

join