It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Climate Warning: "We Have 4 Months to Secure Future of Planet".

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

UN Climate Warning: "We Have 4 Months to Secure Future of Planet".

www.un.org

We have just four months. Four months to secure the future of our planet.

Any agreement must be fair, effective, equitable and comprehensive, and based on science. And it must help vulnerable nations adapt to climate change.

Ladies and gentlemen,

The science is clear. We know what to do and we know how to do it. Songdo shows us the way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So now we only have 4 months uh?

I guess we better start granting the UN extreme powers or will all perish.

Anyone else feel like this is just a scam? why do we only have four months to get these green programs going?

I can't help but think this will only worsen the economic woes of the world.

www.un.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

It is the UN... of course it is a scam... Carbon Credits are a scam. The UN wants power and money.. .nothing new here.

When doesn't the UN want power and money?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
LOL. I'm sorry....I just can't get past lol.

The sky is falling!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well,
It worked for Obama and the stimulus.
It will probably work for the UN.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I got two things to say. This is fear mongering, and this is scare tactics at it's worst disguse as a political tool.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I believe it is a four month negotiating process. That is why the reference is within the four month time frame.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Of course it is a scam. This sort of claims only gives them power to do whatever the hell they want to do.

We all know that with all these claims they keep coming up with that we probably do not have a lot of time left.

They will set up their unConstitutional laws. They don't care about Human Rights, they never did.

This sort of claim will allow them to put any kind of law, restriction, and oppress the people as much as they wan,t and they will claim they are doing it for the good of the people, or the good of Earth....

[edit on 12-8-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The good news?

We have four months left.

The bad news?

That was 6 months ago.

Here are some Earth Day quotes from 1970. . .
Thought you might enjoy. . . .

“We have about five more years at the outside to do something.”
• Kenneth Watt, ecologist

“Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”
• George Wald, Harvard Biologist

“We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation.”
• Barry Commoner, Washington University biologist

“By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”
• Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.”
• Denis Hayes, chief organizer for Earth Day

“At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’”

“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”

And a final note, to add. . . . ooooooh, I'm soooooo scared!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
People don't actually believe this tripe do they? I have to say the crap coming out of the MSM and the government sounds so bizarre to me on a daily basis that I have a moment of absolute confusion every time I hear something. Confusion because the things I hear like this UN garbage is so unconnected to reality as to sound like a movie, or well the conversation of a lunatic. It's bizarre and I hear these things, and if I'm in the middle of a conversation people will see my eyes glaze over as I attempt to process the ridiculous fantasy story I'm hearing. Anyone else feel like this? Or am I the crazy one?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Jeez this really is one of those issues that a lot of people are burying their heads in the sand on...

It's not that hard to understand really.

The earth goes through warming and cooling cycles. The earth gets warmer when there is more CO2 in the atmosphere because it traps the heat from the sun. We are accelerating that cycle by taking massive amounts of CO2 out of the ground when we burn it in the forms of gas, oil, and coal.

That is a FACT. It's no more debatable than whether the earth is flat or round.

What is debatable is what the exact effects on our climate will be, but the general consensus is that there most definitely WILL be changes to the global climate.

Also, the world does not have infinite resources and it's not an infinite garbage dump so if we don't find a way for the world's population to live in some sort of equilibrium with the planet, we will suffer the consequences.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I pray the aliens will abduct this loser and put him in a dome home
on Earths moon.
He can observe the the ice age from there.
He only has to wait 1,500 years.
Ice ages come and go here on Earth.
The planet Earth is following its own geological clock.
The people on this planet are just along for the ride.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Where did you read 4 months as if it is a catastrophic harbinger of doom from that report?

I did read this ;

People everywhere are accepting that we must all live cleaner, greener, more sustainable lives. This is our future.

I must admit that, as a Korean, Songdo occupies a special place in my heart.

It helps show how Korea has emerged as a world leader on greening the economy.

Some 80 per cent of Korea's $38 billion national stimulus package is dedicated to green growth? the highest percentage in the world.

Nearly a million green jobs will be created in the coming four years.

I read green jobs in the coming 4 years.

However it was interesting to read how Korea thinks that they are the global leaders in the green movement, they said this:

The world is looking to Korea for leadership. This powerful emerging economy can serve as a bridge between developed and developing countries.

But to do this, Korea must set ambitious goals for reducing its own emissions.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by antar]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

..... We have just four months. Four months to secure the future of our planet.

I am talking here about new money – not re-packaged Official Development Assistance.

This is one of the most important issues which we are going to discuss on September 22nd in New York, and this year again at the G20 Summit Meeting in Pittsburgh on September 24th.

Note the dates and weep. I guarantee this will not be good for the 'common' global citizen, upon whose back such sacrifices are always foisted.

His call for 'political will' is a frightening harbinger of a propaganda war that will make US health care reform seem like small potatoes. The strategy they are pursuing is a long range slow bleed .... and one that won't threaten their concept of 'order' and 'control.'

I wish I could muster trust in these people, I would sleep better at night, I think.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Is anybody aware that the CO2 we (as a global entity) are freeing to the atmosphere comes from plants and animals sedimented millions of years ago which were basically made of it (either directly or indirectly), when the atmospheric CO2 concentration were 2 to 5 times higher than current levels (it must have been fault of prehistoric SUVs, surely) ?

So, we are actually returning the old CO2 back to the atmosphere, not adding into it. Hardly an "unprecedented disaster".

[edit on 2009/8/13 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
They want to put a price on C02 so they can truly be the definers of the price of life.
It will make them feel like little Gods.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
They want to put a price on C02 so they can truly be the definers of the price of life.
It will make them feel like little Gods.

True. Life is possible because of plants, and plants are possible because of CO2.
The general rule of thumb among informed farmers, greenhouse owners or any other serious experimenters, is that most plants will grow faster and stronger without added efforts (external interventions) at a CO2 concentration of around 1500 parts per million (ppm) at an ambient temperature slightly higher than average. So they will recur to many means to increase it in their plant growing ambient.

Current natural atmospheric CO2 concentrations are around 400 ppm on average and while they have rose about 30% since the start of human industrialization, they wouldn't reach those levels in the foreseeable future even under the worst scenario. Plant growth is considerably slowed at a CO2 concentration of around 200 ppm, and completely stops in most cases under 150 ppm. No plants = no food = no life.

It's true that human production of CO2 currently often comes not without side effects (pollutants, deforestation, destruction of ecosystems, etc). But a global, even substantial increase of this gas and a slight increase of global temperatures (this last one, even though "environmentalists" may say the opposite, is still not proven to be entirely due to human activity) are not going do be the doom of the planet. In fact it could well be the opposite, at least for nature.

It's been a bit off-topic, but I hope it helped triggering some curiosity about what CO2 really is and means.
And no, I don't work for oil companies or any other company affiliated to them.

[edit on 2009/8/13 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
From the article- "It should make itself a model of international engagement on climate change. Climate change, as all previous speakers have already stated, is the fundamental threat to humankind.

It exacerbates all of the problems we face: poverty, disease, hunger and insecurity. It impedes progress toward the Millennium Development Goals. It deepens the food and energy crises.

That is the harsh reality.

But there is an upside: if we combat climate change with a sustainable, low-emissions approach, just like we see around us in Songdo, we can change the way countries develop.

We can foster a green economy and green growth.

We can fight hunger and poverty while protecting the environment.

The downside is equally dramatic.

If we fail to act, climate change will intensify droughts, floods and other natural disasters.

Water shortages will affect hundreds of millions of people. Malnutrition will engulf large parts of the developing world. Tensions will worsen. Social unrest – even violence – could follow.

The damage to national economies will be enormous. The human suffering will be incalculable.

We have the power to change course. But we must do it now. "

This is the part of his article that stopped me to read any further.
This to me is a reminder that other people are out there just to screw the rest of us over. LIFE OR DEATH...DO IT NOW..scaremongerin mo fos.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

They could make it more believeable by giving the report a theme song...

Im fed up with the nonsense.

If they wanted to be truthful the theme song would actually be...

[edit on 13-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Yea but COME ON!!!

"We have four months for every country to pay us 3% of their GDP or else the children of those populations are going to drown or die of starvation in an unimaginable and unprecedented natural disaster... Did I mention that we are broke and that f*ckall of that money will be used for anything to do with curbing global warming?"

Absolute rubbish..

Yes we need to stop polluting, thats obvious.. this is the only reason I don't really mind this Global Warming alarmism bullsh*t but the planets climate has been changing since it has been capable of sustaining a climate model... BILLIONS OF YEARS!

Who are we to say that this is the perfect way for the planet to be?

Who are we to say that we know anything at all about the planets climate forecast or its effects?

Exactly.. we know nothing. Especially when our scientific community is completely split into about 50 directions regarding every aspect of Climate change.

The pollution has to stop and the planet has to be protected, we are at a level of evolution/civilization now to be able to do this by our own accord but don't buy the lies..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join