It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open technical discussion on HR 3200

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Ok, I have seen enough garbage on both sides about HR 3200. I finally broke down and downloaded a copy of it. I am reading it piece by piece and I wanted to open a thread here for the open discussion of points in the bill.

I do not intend this to be a free for all thread, instead I would like this to be a discussion of specific bullet points of the bill with references to specific sections, paragraphs and line numbers.

Let's not buy into the hype. Let's talk about the bullet points specifically.

you can get a copy of the bill here

[edit on 8-12-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
One of the big hypes I am seeing of late is the End Of Life counseling provision. Of course, the opposition spin doctors are saying that every 5 years the doctors are required to talk to patients about how they should end their life. They claim this bill requires doctors to inform patients on how to "commit suicide".

The specific section is on page 424, section 1233.

From what I am reading here, the bill mandates a discussion of the following:

1) Advance Care Planning (not defined in the bill, still trying to make sure I understand its implications)
2) Advance Directives, living wills, and durable powers of attorney
3) Health care proxies
4) Contact information for outside organizations that specialize in this sort of assistance
5) Advantages and Disadvantaes of Hospice and pallitive care facilities and what the medical insurance benefits are regarding such facilities.
6) What a order regarding life sustaining treatment is and why they are necessary
7) The information needed by a patient's surrogate (generally a family member) to make decisions regarding things such as "pulling the plug"
8) Contact information for outside organizations, including local and state organizations that specialize in this sort of counseling and assitance.
9) The federal regulations for counseling must meet or exceed the recommendations of the state in which the patient is receiving treatment.

So as far as I can tell, this is legislation mandating a conversation between a patient and their physician that they should be having anyway. Am I missing something that says suicide here?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Already been done, here

» Above Politics » Let's discuss what's in the Health Care Bill

But you're more than welcome to start again, maybe you'll find something we didn't.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Well fudge. I thought I was being original and unique... *sigh* Well, i'll read the other thread and see what I see.

If the mods deem it proper to delete this thread, feel free.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Well fudge. I thought I was being original and unique... *sigh* Well, i'll read the other thread and see what I see.

If the mods deem it proper to delete this thread, feel free.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join