It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes something a God?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Heya folks.

This thread is meant to be a discussion about what are the technical requirements for an entity to be considered a god. It seems the word has been used throughout history rather liberally, but I am curious what people these days might think.. well, at least the ATS points of view.

A little background on my stance, for clarity. I do not believe in a god by the normal definition. I believe in a sentient universe, thus we are all part of it. So it is sort of a pantheistic view. Given that, I have a hard time ascribing the word "god" to it's nature. It simply is without having to be anything.

My understanding is that the Judeo-Christian god is supposed to be a separate entity from the universe, being that he supposedly made it. I guess god in that sense is a defined entity that has power over everything.

In the Greek Pantheon, they seemed to simply be a class of lifeform that was more advanced than the human race and lived seperate.

So let's open the floor. What are ya'll thoughts on what qualifies something to be a "god"?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What makes something a god?

Something that is unexplained or unexplainable.
Any kind of activity that a specific individual does not understand or cannot explain.

A poorly defined version of reasonable events even if paranormal or somewhat seemingly phenomenal.

God = lack of understanding and the ability to coerce yourself, regardless of logic into believing some paranormal or phenomenal hand is at work, for reasons of hope, interest, denial and such. At least that's what I think

Man can always attribute everything to god no matter what it is. He wants to and refuses through self denial, to embrace superstition over the logic and reasoning at hand.

God is the word people like to throw at something they don't understand or can't explain. It is a easy copout for leaving your intelligence behind. Lazy and simple minded individuals use it the most. Those that choose superstition over reasoning also tend to use it a lot.

Why people choose to do so and believe such is another entirely interesting topic. There are so many reasons why.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

I don't really think you're answering the question.

I'll try instead.

The word god has multiple definitions and all of them offer an answer. Let's look!

1. God, Supreme Being (the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the object of worship in monotheistic religions) This covers the Abrahamic faiths and is thought of most often when the term is used, but doesn't fit your question.

2. deity, divinity, god, immortal (any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force) Most general usage for the word. In the definition lies the key to your answer that I will expand on later.

3. god (a man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people) "he was a god among men" Non-supernatural. Probably not what you were thinking either.

4. idol, graven image, god (a material effigy that is worshipped) "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"; "money was his god" Not often though of, but can be related to number 2.

I would say that number 2 holds your answer mixed with a little number 4. Since worship of anything is absolutely a personal matter, any object (tangible or not) that is worshiped is a god in the most general sense according to the individual.

To expand on that, gods exist in two realms. Knowledge and faith. Knowledge of a god is mostly due to history, just like knowledge of anything else is gained. Faith in a god is belief that they actually have an influence over the realm which they are attributed to. For instance, Thor is the Germanic god of thunder. I do believe in thunder, but I don't believe in Thor. I know of Thor due to history, but I don't believe he is real and therefore does not control thunder.

Now...if the majority of people around me have faith that Thor IS controlling thunder and IS real, it does not mean that he's real to me. It's simply real to them. When it thunders, they say it's Thor. I say it's just nature.

You can absolutely see where this can be applied in all situations when talks about faith are concerned. I am not going to specifically open that can of worms.

I hope that others can expand on this and provide useful feedback.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
He answered that question?

Tell them "IAM THAT IAM" sent you?

Probably has some ALPHA OMEGA connection to existing OUT of time, no past, present or future, also maybe something to do with post SPEED of light...

I dunno?

OT

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Good post. And yeah, probably a hybrid of #2 and #4 would fit the question I posted.

Also, folks, be aware, I am not at all befuddled or lost on this concept, I just wanted to have a good philosophical/linguistic discussion on the matter.

Star for you Wicket!

reply to post by N3krostatic

Actually, that is a good answer too Nekro, if somewhat slanted from the question..lol I can see how people very often ascribe the word "god" to anything they cannot understand, such as Wicket's example of Thor. Maybe that is more reserver for the word Paranormal these days, though?

[edit on 8-12-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Good post S&F.

I think they would have to be big.. a tiny god would just be silly.

hmm.. well going by what ive read about gods so far id guess.

1 - Jealous and possessive.

2 - The ability to change to an animal so they can have sex with a mortal is an absolute must.

3 - They would have to be a good judge of character because they are always giving their wisdom to a single human to tell the world.

4 - They also must be good at getting women pregnant without having sex with them . Remember the miracle inst just the virgin birth ..its also somehow convincing the husband not to think its suspicious at all.

5 - Bipolar .. 1 min all loving and the next completely psychopathic and unforgiving.

6 - And they would have to live in the sky of course.

7 - have a very bright light coming from behind them where ever they go.

If i met something with 4 or more of those points id worship it.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
wrong thread, sorry

[edit on 12-8-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

If it walks like an alien, talks like an alien, it must be an alien...

1. God and his 'angels' are always seen "coming thru the clouds from another world"....and then "ascending up through the clouds back to their world"

2. Let US make mankind in OUR image accorinding to OUR likings...this is a race of like beings

3. What do you imagine a winged creature that ascends from above to look like?

hmmmmmm......

Annunaki

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Scenario:

Me and you are astronauts...we leave earth's orbit and explore a planet that has material that we need on earth...so we travel and we land on Planet A....Planet A is void of people., animals, vegetation...so we decide to see if life can exists here....we go back to Earth and grab vegetaion seeds (grass, trees)...surprisingly enough, we are able to seed Planet A....then we decide to go back to Earth to grab a few of animals to to see the living potential of animals or even us and enough to procreate Plant A...It works!! Now, the biologists of us decides to make cloned workers of us, for mining purposes...we take our DNA with a sample of one of the primates that we brought and VOILA!!! An actual upright, walking speaking, being...

Now this being has to have a replica of itself with opposite reproduction organs to procreate...we create that to and then we decide to give our "creation" a set of rules and laws; they have no clue what to do or how to live...they are in awe at our modern technology and they consider it to be powers or miracles....we visit Planet A from time to time, checking on their progress...They don't have a sense of time as known to us, so to each other they always await 'the return of their creators"

To them, what would we be considered as?

Gods

[edit on 12-8-2009 by ButterCookie]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Il try to explain the Vedic point of view.

When Vishnu exhales the Universes by his pores Time and other potencies apear. Also is born the first born being in the multyverse called Brahma. Being born from the lotus that come from Vishnu, lying in the Gharbo ocean. After years of tapayasa meditation he is enlighten by Vishnu to develop all Demigods Celestial Beings Human-demigods and all lifeforms down to all 13 lower Dimensions.
There are 14 Dimesions in Material Universe Brahmas is the highest and the Demigods live in the seven Dimensions from the middle upwards.
He also creates the Galaxies and Stars And the Planets sourounding the Stars in the upper half of material universe the seven lover Dimensions are without Stars. Because of Brahmas mistakes and fears he creates also Deamons.

The Demigods in the Vedic Phanteon are called Demigods because they follow eternal Hirarchy and Religion coming downwards from The highest Dimension from all where the Highest Personality of Godhead recides. They can bestow boons and course each others and some have like Yamaraja crucial commands for the souls under his control.

There is a mutual exchange of Spiritual Sacrifice-Potencies between the Lifeforms that acts like curency for the Demigods. They not only fit their Weapons with it, they also run their interdimensional crafts. Yes not all Demigods are so evolved that they can warp to places. They use Spiritual technology also to fight the Deamons who use Material Technology and ideology for conquering the upper Realms of material Universe.

In this case a human Sage who has realised knowledge of the Self or Paramatma can also be called a Demigod or Deva...

Mistical powers atributed to the Demigods arise from such meditation and knowledge.

A Human become automatical a Deamon or Asura by neglecting the Demigods or far worse God.

I hope you got here another point of view sorry for my bad Inglish.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Vishnu scares the hell out of me..

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It is described in the Vedas when Mahavishnu incarnates in the material World that he is invencible. It is like he enter this Realm with iddqd.
So I would be scared to...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think any time you have worship, or veneration of someone, or something, that thing then becomes a God. IMHO
I really like depictions of the blue guy. Vishnu is almost always shown as handsome & robust, in various artworks.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

All women like the look of Vishnu..he looks kinda handy round the house. Amongst other things.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Actualy Mahavishnu is an expancion of Narayan.

In Vedas there are know six main elment that Godhead must posses unlimitedly.

1. All Might

2. All Richness

3. All Glory

4. All Whisdom

5. All Renuncation

6. All Beauty

When he incarnated as Sri Krsna the Princesses could not whitstand his presence and faint. It is described like incidents with Fans today. But in this case they are transendental.

When something or someone come in relation with God. He or it becomes transendental or eternal no more bound to the effects of Karma and modalitys of nature Satva Raja and Tama.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

This thread is meant to be a discussion about what are the technical requirements for an entity to be considered a god.

The ignorant acceptance of fabricated literature..?

Hence - the bible and its unfortunate influence on society and culture...what a shame.

spell edit!

[edit on 12-8-2009 by happyheathen]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by happyheathen

Um, not quite catching the point of your comment. It's late so I might be missing something. Want to elaborate a bit.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Um, not quite catching the point of your comment. It's late so I might be missing something. Want to elaborate a bit.

Sure...

but I am curious what people these days might think

I replied as someone who has taken the time to 'try' and understand the creation and evolution of one of humankinds greatest disasters - the concept of a god as well as organized religion.

You wanted opinions regarding what 'requirements' validate (you said consider, but validate sums it up better) a god...

My opinion was that society, in its infant stages albeit, at the time, were quite ignorant of what TPTB were capable of...

I mentioned the bible in subtle terms in hopes of others putting the two together. But maybe that was to high of an expectation.

Kinda sad that thousands of years later we still yearn for reasoning and explanations for a fallacy that has held us back ten fold.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Miracles make a god.

A god is a being that is not bound as we and the rest of creation are by space, time and the laws of physics.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Ah okie dokie. I get your point. Sleep helps, I didn't even need coffee yet. :p

Thank you for elaborating. Star for you!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join