It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunger hits Detroit's middle class

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by agent0range
But u you also have to consider than many in the detroit "ghettos" don't have a car or access to one so its hard for many to get out of the city. Most people don't even leave the neighborhood for anything. Its a tight communities here. Everyone knows everyone in the neighborhood.they really do help each other out

I'm sure there are various reasons Detroiter's stay in Detroit, but one of the biggest for our brothers and sisters is fear of harassment by the police. Telegraph is a main north/south road that also serves as the borderline for Detroit's west side. Crossing that border puts you in one of the cities, or townships, that make up the metropolitan Detroit suburbs. Your choices for entering the suburbs from Detroit's southwest side are Redford Township, Dearborn Heights, Dearborn and Livonia.

All of these places have a traditionally Caucasian dominated police force, especially Redford and Livonia. I'm not sure of the root cause for the authorities racial views, but I am sure it is there. Perhaps it stems from the 1968 riots, or maybe fear from an upbringing of stereotypical beliefs? Whatever the reason for it, black folks entering these suburbs are likely to be harassed by police. I've seen it all my life.

To be clear, I'm a half Italian blue collared white guy. I have many friends that are forced to accept this as part of life. Most of them avoid these areas at all costs, so shopping must be on that list. I've lived in and around Detroit all of my life and never really noticed this? There used to be many K-Mart stores in the D, but none with groceries that I know of? There were Farmer Jacks, but they all went a couple of years ago.

The truth is, this is no accident. Black communities have always been subjected to things like this. There may be no grocery stores, but you couldn't swing a dead cat in Detroit without hitting a liquor store! Liquor and Lottery stores are on every corner even between houses in some neighborhoods? Fast food too. Deprived of quality food, education and employment, yet showered with booze, drugs, gambling, guns and suffering! If Satan's Wal-Mart won't even grub money there you know somethings up?

Thanks for the thread,OP.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think I remember one on the tip of Detroit.

search.yahoo.com...

Super Kmart, telegraph, between 8 and 9 mile. Fully stocked supermarket.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Definately no shortage of liquor strores and churches in Detroit. Some even share a parking lot - I swear it.

As awful as that sounds, I think the city it preyed upon. The living conditions are atrocious, to say the least. And no one in city govt. cares one bit for their city, I don't care what they say.

The children are crapped upon. Politicians are driving around in gorgeous new Escalades while children are forced to walk to school by way of passing about a dozen dilapidated crack houses.

Here's a bit. During my summers while in college, I'd work two jobs to pay all my bills right quick. One summer as a second job, I delivered flowers for a florist. One delivery was to a teacher teaching summer school at Redford HS. ( Not Redford Union, in Redford Twp, but Redford HS in Detroit).

Well... The only doors that hand handles were the outer doors. The ones inside had holes clear through where a handle should be. Stretching along the walls were holes in the floors - large as geo's, some of them - and you could bend down and see right through to the basement. Very few lockers had doors. Graffiti and filth everywhere, as if there wasn't a single custodian on site.

Just a mess. Heartbreaking. This is a public school. And this is what Detroit politicians think of their children. What do they care? They have their Escalades, their vacation homes and private schools.

They just do not care.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Yeah I see your point on that. But at the same time most if not all are afraid of being harassed by any cop in any city. But I didn't really think of that cause I'm just south of detroit so I have to go threw across and rouge. And my dad was telling me like a month ago. Since the dps (detroit public schools) are so crooked. They were having all the dps employees go to a specific location to pick up there paychecks personally. And I think it was like 30 or 40% of the ppl never even came to get there checks. So what does that mean? It means all those people who never got there checks didn't even exist. They were fake names on the payroll. Ill try and find the article when I get home from work.
But I guess that's what you can expect when the former mayer is accused of killing strippers.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Well I looked for it and I could not find it. But I did find this,it gives you an idea of what's going on. This is from this month. And what I was talking about in the above post was maybe 3 months ago.
But anyways here's the link

www.crainsdetroit.com...

(Sorry for changing the subject I just felt I needed to put some sort of source for what I was talking about)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by orderedchaos

Here's a bit. During my summers while in college, I'd work two jobs to pay all my bills right quick. One summer as a second job, I delivered flowers for a florist. One delivery was to a teacher teaching summer school at Redford HS. ( Not Redford Union, in Redford Twp, but Redford HS in Detroit).

Well... The only doors that hand handles were the outer doors. The ones inside had holes clear through where a handle should be. Stretching along the walls were holes in the floors - large as geo's, some of them - and you could bend down and see right through to the basement. Very few lockers had doors. Graffiti and filth everywhere, as if there wasn't a single custodian on site.

Does it even matter?. Most black kids don't care about schooling. Shoot drugs and shoot baskets. That's all they live for.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

RIDICULOUS! I hope that was some kind of poor sarcasm. I have been accused of being racist on these ATS boards, and I have never said anything as stupid as that!

Kids are kids are kids!

The ones you speak about are victims of the very environment that we are discussing. Opportunities, and guidance, and high expectations from parents and teachers are needed to help a kid grow up to be productive, confident, and self-sufficient.

<< 1   >>

join