It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Pretty much does exactly what it says on the tin.

I've always been pretty blown away by the deep field pictures. hey just make you feel so small and insignificant, they're quite humbling.

Anyway, enjoy

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Beautiful I say...thanks for the video.....soon as you watch something like that it makes you take a few steps back and realise how valueable life is and not how insignificant......

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Absolutely brilliant, many thanks OP. S&F

It reveals our pure insignificance in the face of absolute immensity. But to possess the capacity to reveal our pure insignificance is in itself immensely significant.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AltruisticNarcissist
Absolutely brilliant, many thanks OP. S&F

It reveals our pure insignificance in the face of absolute immensity. But to possess the capacity to reveal our pure insignificance is in itself immensely significant.
Nicely put!

I agree, our ability to even look at this stuff, is monumentous.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A humbling perspective.

Although even 'humbling' falls short ...,

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hubble is probably the best darned toy we ever made for ourselves. It's downright seminal. I feel the discoveries and ideas that come from the young minds looking at this stuff will be beyond profound. Truly exciting stuff, nice post op.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
What a cool video huh!
Thanks for posting!

Just beautiful stuff that!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
They mention 100 billion galaxies and say we can't even comprehend it in our minds due to the sheer size and our feeble brains.

My first thought was 100 billion is it?! Geesh our national debt is in the 20+ trillion range.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
*speechless*

S+F

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

EXCELLENT.....What a prolific, humbling, and extraordinary representation of the most profound (on so many levels..) picture of the Universe ever taken by man. Enough said...

Thank you, I have never see the 3d modeling and the music just closes the deal!

[edit on 8/12/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
All those galaxies and all those stars and the probabilities of life is amazingly high. How arrogant are humans to even joke that we are the only form of life out there. It raises the question again that something is going on and someone doesnt want us to know. Great Video...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I love space stuff but somtimes these shows get on my nerves.

He says this is the most important picture ever taken. Really? How is it so important? What have we learned from this picture that is so important?

He also says that galaxies are moving away from earth at speeds faster than light. Really? Well that is big news! Call the press Einstein was wrong!
Seriously though, I think he's just saying that because it sounds amazing (and it would be if it were true)but is that a good enough reason to just make stuff up on a supposed science video?.

Lastly, how was this in 3-D!? I got my anaglyph glasses on only to find out the video is in 2-D. What a let down

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw

I love space stuff but somtimes these shows get on my nerves.

WOW...It is obvious you lack a understanding of basic cosmology my friend.

He says this is the most important picture ever taken. Really? How is it so important? What have we learned from this picture that is so important?

Sometimes importance goes beyond just empirical science...

He also says that galaxies are moving away from earth at speeds faster than light. Really? Well that is big news! Call the press Einstein was wrong!

Obviously you do not understand relativity or any of Dr. Einsteins postulates (that is okay, it is a tricky subject)..

Einstein never said there was a limit to how fast space itself could move, only how fast an object could move through space..

Seriously though, I think he's just saying that because it sounds amazing (and it would be if it were true)but is that a good enough reason to just make stuff up on a supposed science video?.

This is nothing new, and this IS SCIENCE. The light we are seeing from these galaxies (if you would have paid better attention to the video) is around 12 billion years old, although NOW those same galaxies are about 48 billion lightyears away because the very fabric of spacetime is expanding at faster than light speeds (again, well within the theory of relativity). Therefore we will not see the light from the current position or arrangement the galaxies are in now until 48 billion years into the future, since anything moving through space (not space moving mind you) as a limit of 186,282.3 miles per second. Redshift(discovered by Dr. Edwin Hubble) proves this is a FACT, Einstein included this in his formulas. Next time please do some basic studies on relativity and cosmology before posting an ignorant rant on something you are erroneously informed about.

Lastly, how was this in 3-D!? I got my anaglyph glasses on only to find out the video is in 2-D. What a let down

No comment....

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think I understand better what you are saying about the speed of light thing now so thanks for clearing that up. You are right I'm not very informed on relativity and can't spend a lot of time studying some of these things, but I am interested in it. That's one of the reasons I've started to come here. Having people like you clear things up for me. Now if you could just help me with my stupid questions without shoving it down my throat how stupid I am it would be great

I do think this picture is wonderful but I still think calling it the most important picture of all time is a little much.

My last comment about the picture not being 3-D was partly a joke (but partly serious) and the entire post was intended to be light hearted, but I apologize if it didn't come off that way.

Anyway thanks for picking apart my post because I ended up learning something new, even if your intention was just to rip me a new one

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
No wai!! I suppose it's a case of different strokes for different folks and fair enough if it doesn't float your boat, but I agree that this is the most important pictures ever taken. It proves that we're not the only galaxy, by a LONG shot
It's just the vastness of it all, it is incomprehensable. And let's not forget, that's just 100 billion galaxies from 1 tiny patch in the sky. 1 small square, from our perspective, that's all it is. And that was only for however long they left hubble pointing in that direction. Who know how much more it would have seen if it had been left there longer. (does anyone else have trouble calling the hubble and "it" He seems like an old friend or something too familular to be calling it...anyway..) It's a badass picture, and it'll be a long time before something takes it's place. Maybe one day we'll get one of the whole universe. UNtil then, the deep field will do it for me every time. It blows my tiny little mind.

Just think, 50 years ago, many people would have disputed that there were planets around other stars. 50 years on, not only do we now know that this is common, we know that there are billions upon billions of galaxies, with billions upon billions of stars to have planets round. Just think how many billions of other civilizations there could be. This picture makes it all possible. And that's why it's so important.

And as you can see, a picture really does paint a thousand words. (well, nearly)

Edit as a side note, what would you say is a more important picture?

[edit on 13/8/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I really enjoyed that.

Thanks very much...S&F!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

I wasn't trying to "rip you apart". But your post came off as a rude comment towards a great thread. Sorry if I came off as harsh, I just do not like to see people attempt to discredit something with erroneous facts. Again, sorry if I came off as rude. I am glad you learned something though.

new topics

top topics

join