It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone ever bumped into a lake monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Im Just wondering if anyone out there has any stories of Very close encounter with a Unidentified Submerged Object a USO. In 1974 there was a documented story of a women who was swimming in lake Okanogan in british columbia.canada. She was swimming out to one of the many rafts they used to anchor out on the lake about 100 feet off shore and while swimming she slam banged! right into a very large object just below the waters surface, as this happened the object started to swim away and she got a very close good look at it.
Long greenish black with large unfish like scales.long story short... she swam like hell to the raft and watched this thing move around about 5 or 6 feet under the water. scared out of her mind she finnally got the courage to swim back to shore after she was sure it had moved on, this thing was about 30 to 40 feet long and Nessie like in apperance. has anyone else out there had a similar experience? or a close encounter with a water creature like this.
parker

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by parker]

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by parker]

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by parker]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
O-go-po-go. Funniest thing the world has ever, ever known.

So gather 'round me and a story I will tell to all.
About the Ogopogo where the rippling waters fall.
I'm telling you because it's true, believe if you can.
There's an Ogopogo swimming in Ogopogo land.

A dragon's head he's 'sposed to have, his eyes are balls of flame.
It's forty fathoms from his tale up to his shaggy mane.
I'm telling you because it's true, believe if you can.
There's an Ogopogo swimming in ogopogo land.

The red men called it Okanagan, that I can't deny.
That means stormy waters where the Ogopogo lies.
And this is true, I'm telling you, when he gets mad I'm told.
The thunders crash, the lightnings flash, the dark blue waters roll.

Now that's as true as true can be, I hope you understand.
That's the way I heard it down in ogopogo land.
But if you see an Ogopogo, take it right from me.
Lock your cage up tight tonight and throw away the key.

O-go-po-go
If you believe it, you're a bigger fool than me.

-Just a song about Ogopogo by Buddy Renolds.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Im aware of were the name comes from "jolly old England"
Thanks for the tune but not exactly what i was after ,in posing my question. Their has to be some people who have had a sighting 10 to 15 feet away,or by accident touched this thing.
And something does exist as my wife and i had a very good sighting in1992, we go to the lake every year ,and one year had a sighting about 200feet above the lake wacthing this thing swim like a sub breecching the water60 to 80 feet off shore about 40 feet long,3 feet across
big enough to make waves crash onto the shore below us.
parker

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
dudes

mark here from england again.....

there is no monster in loch ness or anywhere else, hundreds of peole have been up there and never found a thing.....but thats not good enough for you lot coz you STILL believe it..

peace

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Yeah... And oh god she was big... Definately a lake monster!!

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Yeah... And oh god she was big... Definately a lake monster!!

Well looks like i walked right into that one with the way i worded it, Ya got me Kelch !
I have been lucky in life so far to see things first hand that most people can only talk about though, so i guess i have to keep a sense of humor about it. if you have never seen anything like this i can understand why you would think it was nut's ?
Parker

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I was pike fishing from a small row boat in Lock Kinkeen in co. Leitrim, Ireland a few years ago with a few relatives. There were 5 people in the boat, ranging from 15-23, so no really small people. My cousin was using 100lb line when he hooked something big. It preceeded to pull the rowing boat (with the 5 of us in it) for about 6 or 7 minutes until it cut back under the boat and the line cut off the bottom of the hull.
There are no freshwater fish known in Ireland to grow even close to this size, so what it was is a mystery. We've always called it Kinky

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
StephenMC Did they try and give the old stand by that it was probably a "Sturgeon" That has always been someones answer to this type of event happening. I have heard of this before on various lakes. Dont suppose you got a peek at this thing did you? > I like to fish as well and you can feel when you have a fish on , or a snag, or even sometimes the type of fish by the kind of fight it puts up. Did you notice anything different about the way this thing pulled , or affected your drag setting on your rod and reel ?
Parker

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Yeah.. I was swimming in a lake with pretty clear water in the summer a few years ago with my cousin; who was not a very strong swimmer, so I was swimming backwards to make sure he didn't fall too far behind.

He asked "what's that?" and pointed behind me.. glanced over my shoulder and what did I see not 2 feet behind me, but about 1000 tentacle like arms squirming and reaching out for me.

I tell ya what, I probably set the world record for swimming speed getting away from that thing, with my cousin hanging onto my back...

Turned out to be an old tree stump and the tentacles were just the roots.. but that was one scary looking mofo, at first glance :p

Other than that though, no.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by parker
StephenMC Did they try and give the old stand by that it was probably a "Sturgeon" That has always been someones answer to this type of event happening. I have heard of this before on various lakes. Dont suppose you got a peek at this thing did you? > I like to fish as well and you can feel when you have a fish on , or a snag, or even sometimes the type of fish by the kind of fight it puts up. Did you notice anything different about the way this thing pulled , or affected your drag setting on your rod and reel ?
Parker

We didn't report it anyway, thats a fairly isolated part of the country and the nearest police station was miles away. I can just imagine their faces as well if we tried to report it

Besides, I could be wrong about this but I always thought sturgeon needed access to the sea? This is a land locked lake, with nothing more than streams coming in or out, hardly big enough for a minnnow to swim in, never mind a sturgeon

As for noticing anything different, unfortunately I wasn't the one who hooked it, and my cousin was too afraid of losing it to let anyone else touch the rod

However, he claimed he could definately feel something fighting on the other end and that it was very big, even before it started to tow the boat.
I hope its still alive whatever it is, a slurry spill there 2 or 3 years ago killed alot of the fish so I haven't gone back there in a long time.

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by StephenMc]

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EWom
Turned out to be an old tree stump and the tentacles were just the roots.. but that was one scary looking mofo, at first glance :p

LOL!!!!1
something like that happened to me when i went scuba diving in cancun. i did a night dive and after a while, i felt this thing on my back. it felt all slimy and nasty and it started to wrap around me so punched it as hard as a i can and it let go and i swam back up......
turned out that it was a manatee and i got fined.....a lot

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by StephenMc
Besides, I could be wrong about this but I always thought sturgeon needed access to the sea? This is a land locked lake, with nothing more than streams coming in or out, hardly big enough for a minnnow to swim in, never mind a sturgeon

There are as many as 18 landlocked Sturgeon populations in the Pacific Northwest, with the majority of these located in Oregon.

sturgeonsite.coastangler.com...

I relize this doesn't really help you it being American info and it is also a different type of sturgeon then what you'd likely find in the oceans around you, but they can and do live in fresh landlocked lakes and rivers...though they are considerably smaller then their anadromous cousins....

It's always a better story when it is an unknown fish with a name.

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by zero_snaz]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Good read Zero_Snaz ,I dont doubt there are some mix ups when it comes to these giagantic odd looking fish. They are a very primitive looking fish as well!, could account for allot of the sightings in inland lakes. even at their largest though when compared in size to ogopogo and others , the sturgeon at its largest size is about 1000 pounds, with ogopogo we are talking about several tons.But there are at least two distinct type of animals in lake okanogan, the more snake like animal that moves like in an undulating motion and you can see through the humps or loops when it moves , and the more dinosaur like creature like nessie. Either are hard to describe as a big fish though. Thanks for the site you posted very informative.
P

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by parker]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the links! As to being bumped by a lake monster, well, there was the time I got bitten on the bum twice -- REALLY hard -- and got out of the water so fast I'm sure it scared away any monsters that might have been around.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Lake Murray, Oklahoma, about 1987. I was at one of the coves where there are picnic tables and a beach. I was sun-tanning down at the water's edge and my little boy was playing in the water. It was either July or August - hot as hell and NO WIND. The kind of Oklahoma summer day that feels like a big dog is breathing down your neck. All of a sudden a V-shaped wave that looked just like a wake wave behind a boat (it was that big too!) comes from the south across this cove and goes all the way across it. I picked my kid up, my lawnchair...and I left.

I did a little research after it happened, and there are things called "ghost waves", but they seem to be connected with winds. The only way this could be is if what would have been a "dust devil" formed and went across the cove, but since a dust devil is dependent on extreme heat at the ground surface, this doesn't make much sense to me.

[Edited on 5-31-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Sounds like a sound move to me Valhall, if something does not feel right it probably isnt you were smart to leave when you did.Not knowing the history of the lake im not sure if their is anything in there. But i always remember the story of a little girl in the early 1900's who was playing at the waters edge on Okanogan lake when a serpent head came up like a parascope abot 80 yards off shore and this thing eyed her up and she was curious at first then it popped up even closer to shore , and looked at her and she felt it was sizing her up as a meal. so she ran back to her cabin top get her mom. she recounted this story in her 80's and her instinct serverd her well ,as goats , geese , calfs, and other smaller animals have been taken. dating back to the indians who lived on the lake. and would not go near certain parts of the lake.

parker

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
A few years back I spent a week in Inverlever, Scotland with some friends. One night four of us went out on Loch Awe in a small rowing boat and when we got about half way out something started to gently bump the boat, this went on for about five minutes and I just assumed we�d come across a patch of underwater vegetation. Then, without any warning something suddenly struck the boat hard enough that it nearly tipped over, it struck the boat once more and then we saw a dark sharp dart out from underneath, it was about eleven feet long and basically resembled a huge eel. We watched it moving very quickly near the surface for a few seconds before sinking out of sight.

I don�t know if it was a �lake monster�, there are a lot of salmon and trout in the area, but I�ve never heard of any fish that powerful anywhere in the uk.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I've been swimming in Loch Ness, while i didn't see anything unusual i can tell you it was very un-nerving just being in the water for some reason i've never really worked out...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I've never seen a lake monster, likely due to the fact that I do not swim or vacation very much... Hah. I do, however believe in them as lakes can be quite vast. I hope one day to see proof.
I do however have a tale of an instance where I thought a plastic bag (the sort groceries come in) startled the dickens out of me in the local swimming hole.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
i live on the shores of lake erie and as a kid i always had dreams of a lake monster being in the lake.. i oneday will fulfill my dream and find it. but so far i got no sign of anything/:

new topics

top topics

join