It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gelatin condom for women in 3-5 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Source: New Scientist

The gel is liquid as long as it is in contact with the acidity that is normal in a vagina, but will turn solid when it encounters semen, which is slightly alkaline. Any particles wider than 50 nanometres – including sperm, HIV and other viruses such as the herpes virus and the papilloma virus, which causes cervical cancer – are trapped, so the gel could double up as both a protectant and a contraceptive.

Link

That's amazing! You would think there would be more developments in a product niche nearly everyone buys into at some point, but nothing much seems to change. You have your birth control pill, male and female condom, female implant or depot shot... that's about it besides surgery in terms of effective methods of contraception. And if you aren't thinking ahead, only standard condoms and diaphragms are releasable.

Finally contraception is moving out of the 20th century, personally I'm excited to see how this turns out.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well thats pretty cool. Im looking forward to see how this turns out and develops. Especially since it can stop STD's also. S&F!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Love it!

Actually, love it and all the implications for it. I can't wait for research to go forward so I can read all the technical detail. This will definitely be worth keeping an eye out for in the years to come.

new topics

top topics

join