It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials see rise in militia groups across US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

"All it's lacking is a spark," McEntire said in the report.

news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON – Militia groups with gripes against the government are regrouping across the country and could grow rapidly, according to an organization that tracks such trends.

The stress of a poor economy and a liberal administration led by a black president are among the causes for the recent rise, the report from the Southern Poverty Law Center says. Conspiracy theories about a secret Mexican plan to reclaim the Southwest are also growing amid the public debate about illegal immigration.

A series of domestic terrorism incidents over the past year have not been directly tied to organized militias,

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
All I guess I can say is....

yep.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
was the United States close to breakup in the 1990s? it seemed like a really solid era for America, but i was so young then.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
was the United States close to breakup in the 1990s? it seemed like a really solid era for America, but i was so young then.

I didn't think so. But the Ruby Ridge and Waco was not very good.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

I didn't think so. But the Ruby Ridge and Waco was not very good.

Lol, of course not. I guess you could call them the prequel to the 21st century issues.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm not surprised in the increase, and I would think that it will continue to grow. Thanks for the article.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I like how they are trying to stereo type here again. I suppose they are right though, it seems to be a growing trend. They are just wrong who this trend is growing with.

The truth is, it is everyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
I like how they are trying to stereo type here again. I suppose they are right though, it seems to be a growing trend. They are just wrong who this trend is growing with.

The truth is, it is everyone.

Ya because all people no matter where they are from agree one one important matter "They want to live free".

That is why you will see people of all walks of life in the modern militia movement.

People are just scared crapless of the government these days. That is the problem actually.

We should not fear the government at all. Instead, the government should fear us.

The government is not even a person, its a mental construct, totally abstract.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
it's a little late for more gun laws. we have all the guns we need. but don't need to use any of them.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
and I was skeptic of John Titor..i guess i will re-visit his site since he claims another American Civil War to take place in the next couple of years....i am afraid Russia could help with sparking things out...a civil war in the US will put them straight up to the top of the world.

Also with such events...a withdrawal of all troops from foreign issues wil be effected imemdiately giving space to terrorists to make their blow....

Folks...i sense some interesting timeline ahead

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
They are probably just the usual red neck right wing contingent that are always grouping up and complaining about something , I'm sure Obama has more pressing issues to concern himself with .

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gun Totin Gerbil
They are probably just the usual red neck right wing contingent that are always grouping up and complaining about something , I'm sure Obama has more pressing issues to concern himself with .

Make no mistake this infor is laying the ground work for killing off the 2nd amendment.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Interestingly worded report.. though not official by anymeans ...

If I did not follow the news on the militia movements, after reading this, id assume all militias where gun toting red necks who hate liberals, blacks, and mexicans as well as authroity in general.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Smells of propaganda.. a smear campaign if you will.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The Southern Poverty Law Center are wonderful folks, and they do a lot of good. Having said that...they're also suffer a bit from tunnel vision. They see racism everywhere, and in everything...

A lot of these militias are racist in nature, but a lot are not... People are scared, they're worried about the future. Who do you go to when you're worried and scared about what the future holds? Family, friends, and neighbors, most of whom are probably just as worried as you...

Most of these "militias" are nothing of the sort. Neighbors banding together to prepare for "something bad". They don't know what exactly, but they're preparing for the worst, whilst hoping/praying for the best, and expecting nothing...

"Militia" is being used as a fear tactic, nothing more... At least for the most part.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
The Southern Poverty Law Center are wonderful folks, and they do a lot of good. Having said that...they're also suffer a bit from tunnel vision. They see racism everywhere, and in everything...

A lot of these militias are racist in nature, but a lot are not... People are scared, they're worried about the future. Who do you go to when you're worried and scared about what the future holds? Family, friends, and neighbors, most of whom are probably just as worried as you...

Most of these "militias" are nothing of the sort. Neighbors banding together to prepare for "something bad". They don't know what exactly, but they're preparing for the worst, whilst hoping/praying for the best, and expecting nothing...

"Militia" is being used as a fear tactic, nothing more... At least for the most part.

I think I would have to disagree with that first statement. I have seen nothing in the way of racists in many of the groups. Mostly pissed off people and lots of Veterans. Just like yesterday at the MO Senator's Town Hall meeting, she asked the Veterans to stand and thanked them. About one third of the crowd stood up, mostly men, but some women as well.

When you see the Govt cross the Constitution, that's when you will see this. The Bush clan did it with the Patriot Act under the guise of War and tugging on heart strings. But it was pushing it.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Interestingly worded report.. though not official by anymeans ...

If I did not follow the news on the militia movements, after reading this, id assume all militias where gun toting red necks who hate liberals, blacks, and mexicans as well as authroity in general.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Smells of propaganda.. a smear campaign if you will.

They are right, there is lots of them. But they are not the same as in the 90's. It makes me wonder if they got their information like the other reports. Off the internet blogs and such.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Reminiscent of what was seen in the 1990s indeed. We haven’t seen this kind of blatant propaganda in a while. The amerikan communist insurgency, for which the SPLC(slimy pukes and lowlife communists) and the BATF Nazis act as front groups, must be running scared.

In light of all the Tea Party protests and countless other groups congealing in opposition to them they’re looking for any propaganda edge in their on-going war to communize America once and for all and they know the mainstream newswhores can be counted on to publish their garbage word for word.

The one thing to remember is the communists, of whom America has always had many and who once admired Josef Stalin before he became politically incorrect, killed more people of all races in the 20th century that the white ‘racists’ ever thought about.

For the record our biggest enemies are white elitist “Liberals” and republicrats who allow these two organizations to affect public policy and enforce laws that should never have been passed in a free country to start with.

More and more are coming to understand Jefferson’s words: “When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is Liberty.”

That other thing that Jefferson said, about watering the tree of Liberty from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants, is just as true today as then, despite the constant steam of whining lies these creatures generate.

Their growing fear is evidence that Liberty is on the rise. Always remember folks, we outnumber these evil creatures and we can find out where they live. If they have the right to come kill us in the name of enforcing tyranny then we can do what is required to restore Liberty. That time is probably coming soon.

Don’t understand? Start here:

willowtown.com...

It will take many expensive suits hanging along Pennsylvania Ave. to fix this mess if it can be fixed.

Think globally, fight locally. Aim small, miss small. One shot, one dead "Liberal"(communist/fascist).

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

By lots, I didn't mean a majority, though I don't know that to be true or false...it's just a feeling I have.

this newer militia movement, if we can call it that, isn't like the nineties in that so many, many of those were extreme rascists...these current incarnations don't strike me as inately racist.

Just neighbors and friends worried for the future, and doing what they can to protect themselves...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by j2000

By lots, I didn't mean a majority, though I don't know that to be true or false...it's just a feeling I have.

this newer militia movement, if we can call it that, isn't like the nineties in that so many, many of those were extreme rascists...these current incarnations don't strike me as inately racist.

Just neighbors and friends worried for the future, and doing what they can to protect themselves...

Your right. Most only meet for Tea Party type stuff. We would not want to waste all that ammo just on target practice.

The term militia is being used in the right context this time is the way I see it. In the 90's it was questionable at best.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join