It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns At Obama Rally!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CrowServo

A far more practical solution would be to break out of the paradigm of violence being met with violence. That may not be a popular view, but it is my two cents.

Nice touchy feely point of view but it does not work in the real world. There are Sociopaths out there they WILL NOT respond to anything less than a show of force.

I went head to head with one for several years. She wanted me to pay her several thousand a year in "protection money"

She shot up one neighbor's house, was responsible for the death of a second neighbor, stole from everyone on the street to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars, Threatened to kill me, tried to run my husband over with a truck and in a separate incident tried to run over a woman walking with her child. She was a drug dealer too. Unfortunately the response of the authorities was "do not provoke her!!!" I finally got rid of this Sociopath when I found out she had snuck passed my high fences, locked gates and no trespassing signs on to my farm at three in the morning to kill some more of my animals. She carries a pistol at all times and it is part of the court records that she threatened to shoot me. I shot at her several times and the neighborhood has not seen the $#@$ again.

IF no one was a bully and IF the government actually moved to protect people then maybe you would be right. When I see a 6'5 three hundred pounder knock down and strangle an elderly person and 911 tells me I have to wait until he KILLS the guy before they will respond, I will keep my guns thank you. (I chased that guy off with a polaroid camera and pictures of him in the act AND his car license plate while my husband had his cell phone up to his ear and shouted he was calling the cops)

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Right to bear arms or not, anyone other than secret service, police, etc. carrying a gun near the president is extremely inappropriate. It presents a MAJOR security risk, whether you have hostile intentions or not.

It's pretty much common sense not to carry a firearm when you're going to see the president.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

What the heck? Sense when are we a republic!? We lost that a long time ago we are officially a democracy not a republic.

As for the whole gun thing for all I care he could have walked in with an AK-47 strapped to his back. So what. How many people had knives in their pocket? Just as deadly, easily concealed and arguably more effective than a single shot that might or might not hit it's target.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

Having met several presidents and prepping security for their arrival I can tell you anyone even remotely close to the president and armed, the guy had a sniper rifle (chances are more than one) pointed at his head the whole time.

Had he tried to pull his gun out of the holster he would have been dead.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

The message the guy was sending (gun and sign) was that of violence against the President. Period. Very straightforward.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxi-Driver

Originally posted by CrowServo

Full disclosure - I am anti-gun. I think the 2nd Amendment is a relic from a different age and completely futile in our present world. If your government wants to crack down on you, your little firearm will not protect you.

But if some crackhead decides to rob me, burgularize my home, rape my wife or daughter .. I bet cha my little firearm will protect me and my family a lot better than the government.

How much more emboldened would said crackhead be if he knew with certainty there would not be any such resistance?

The material odds are so stacked against you that you would stand no chance. The best you could do is go down firing. And while that may appeal to some sort of romanticized cowboy ideal, in reality you will just end up dead, with the only consolation being that perhaps you will have taken someone else's life in the process. Is that something of which to be proud?

I forgive your very limited viewpoint on this subject.

A far more practical solution would be to break out of the paradigm of violence being met with violence. That may not be a popular view, but it is my two cents.

It sounds good on paper. Unfortunately.. it just isn't reality. Never has been. And since the USA is not the only manufaturer of firearms in this world. they will still exist... they will still exist in America-through clandestine (black market) means...which is squarely operated by those than have no intention of following the law.

very well said taxi-driver. people just dont get it. weapons for law abiding citizens are for defensive purposes only. i have plenty of friends who have firearms and have never used it in a malicious way, ever. i like the old saying "its better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one".

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
Right to bear arms or not, anyone other than secret service, police, etc. carrying a gun near the president is extremely inappropriate. It presents a MAJOR security risk, whether you have hostile intentions or not.

It's pretty much common sense not to carry a firearm when you're going to see the president.

Bull#! They play the security card too much these days. They use the President's security as a tool to stage manage public appearances and to control the media. I'm not denying that there maybe a threat, I am just saying that the threat is overstated.

Since when does the President's security have the right to trumph my personel freedoms? Personally I'd have a problem with conceled carry near the President, but, this guy didn't do that. It would be very easy to eliminate this guy as a threat, just post an agent 3 feet behind him, with orders to fire if his weapon leaves his holster. I'd be more concerned about the guy with the C-4 T-shirt anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Wow that guy held his own very well.. A great point as well. I think we should all start doing something to this effect. I think from now own where ever I go. I will carry my broad sword on my back lol

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

the large majorigy of gun fires are not in self defense, most gun fires are criminal or accidental.

Isn't that because it's mostly criminals that have the guns? Wouldn't others around someone know if they have a gun causing them to keep their cause for defence down?

Thank you.

No consequencE..

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Why are you people cheering on nuts that bring a gun to a public rally?

What if the guy had opened fire? Would you still cheer him?

Sickening.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Let me give you another one for your warm fuzzy "Feelings."
I handle uranium fuel cells to be installed in nuclear reactors for a living. Both the olde spent cells as well as the new ones to be installed.
Do you feel threatened by me carrying a gun??

Think further than the next sound bite or pubic education standards...or "Feelings."

Alot of the peoples on these forums have worked or still work in occupations where diciplines are standard format/requirements. We do not live for our "feelings" by putting limits on others or guilt.

We live by diciplining ourselves and our feelings. Drama Queens like Chris Matthews and others stand out very quickly to us. I wouldn't trust Chris Matthews and many others to take care of my pets litter box.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 12-8-2009 by orangetom1999]

I work for a PMC and I am all for the second ammendment. I have had to take numerous psycological test. Hell I was even hired at one point to prtect a president that I didn't even like. But because we live in a free country he had the RIGHT to say what he said and did. This man was just exercisng his rights. Lets face it, if we don't, then we are going to lose them. And the health care bill is just the beginning.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by mr. nameless]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
If the secret service didn't have a problem with it then who is Chris Matthews to argue it? Obviously the Secret Service felt that he wasn't a threat.

I would hate to think what I would have said if he talked to me that way.

Bingo!! You know the Secret Service knew of any potential problems. Matthews did his darnedest to get that man to go off on him. I give that gentleman credit for staying so cool and collected. He made Matthews look like the goofball. "Are you a birther" "Is Obama a legitimate President", it was kinda funny watching Matthews grasp at straws.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If people support the Second Amendment so much, then stop blatantly waving your guns around because they'll only try to take them away even more.

That's why this country is such an ideological dump.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
It would be very easy to eliminate this guy as a threat, just post an agent 3 feet behind him, with orders to fire if his weapon leaves his holster. I'd be more concerned about the guy with the C-4 T-shirt anyway.

I am 100% positive that the Secret Service was fully aware of him and had taken appropriate security precautions to insure that he would not become a threat. I don't doubt there was a Secret Service person within 10 steps of him and others scoping him out. He was no threat to the President, he was not detained nor arrested. Give it a rest Chris......

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Janitor From Mars

Thanks for all the constructive input you have given this thread. I feel much safer now.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hey,

OK I just finished watching this and I have three comments:

1. I think that he was wrong to take a weapon to a public place, regardless of having the right to do so.

2. That host is an absolute pr*ck

3. What the hell is up with his hair?

Thank you

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

How constructive do you expect people to be?

There is nothing responsible about bringing firearms to a public rally. I don't care how pissed off people are.

I'm not against the second amendment but I would prefer that people keep their guns at home.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Janitor From Mars

I'm not from New Hampshire, it sounds like residents there are used to and comfortable with open carry. If it is their right by law in their State to be able to do so, who are you to deny them that? When you go about forcing your beliefs on others without the rule of law, what exactly is that called?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Yes, but a PUBLIC RALLY with other people around?

I believe that people have a right to not worry about whether or not the person next to them is carrying a gun. What if that person is a nutcase? What if they go crazy and shoot up people?

Granted, this is rare but it has happened before.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

We never "Lost" being a Republic. We still have the right as citizens to stand up and demand that our government starts operating as a representative republic rather tahn a representative democracy, then all would be well.

If any citizen had any sense about them, they'd be outraged that in our current state America (of ALL societies) is spreading Democracy. Our founding fathers would be rolling over in their graves.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join