It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School officials face jail time for meal-time prayers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Pete Chagnon - OneNewsNow.com - 8/11/2009 7:25:00 AM
A principal and an athletic director are facing criminal charges for a lunch-time prayer.

Last year, the American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit against Pace High School in Santa Rosa County, Florida. The ACLU claimed some teachers and administrators were endorsing religion, but the school chose to give in to the ACLU's demands rather than fight them in court.

According to the settlement, all school employees are banned from engaging in prayer or religious activities bef
(visit the link for the full news article)

news link

[edit on 11-8-2009 by skycopilot]

Mod Note: Added link to news source.

[edit on 8/11/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The principal and a coach are facing criminal charges for giving meal-time prayers at an appreciation dinner for adults, not students, who had helped with a school field house project. Principal Lay and athletic director Freeman are to go on trial next month on criminal contempt charges. If convicted, both are subject to fines and imprisonment.

I am sure that some who read this will say "Good! Glad they finally got these 'bible thumpers'.

All they did was pray. Before a meal.

Even pigs 'grunt' before they eat.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-8-2009 by skycopilot]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by skycopilot

There is no way this is a "criminal" violation. Civil maybe, but I don't see it. If nobody is "forced" to pray, then it did not violate anyone's rights. If I stand up in front of a crowd and pray, it is perfectly legal. If I invite others to join me, it is still perfectly legal.

It only becomes a violation of Civil Rights if I withhold the meal from those that did not pray, or I ridicule them, or give them an unequal portion!

"Onenewsnow"? Is this a credible news outlet? I live one county over from Santa Rosa, and I haven't heard anything about this?

No link was provided?

[edit on 11-8-2009 by getreadyalready]

[edit on 11-8-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They are on trial for criminal contempt charges. Basically, they were in violation of a court order. That is a criminal charge. It is important to note that these were school sponsored events. As such, they do fall in line with what the court originally ordered the school to stop.

I see nothing wrong here. They are trying to make it a bigger deal than it is. If you have a court order saying don't do something, you don't do it. Pretty cut and dry.

And from their site:

What is OneNewsNow.com and who operates this site?
OneNewsNow.com is the website of the American Family News Network (AFN), a national Christian news service. Our goal is to present the day's news from a biblical perspective. We not only feature the latest breaking stories from across the United States and around the world, but also news of the challenges facing Christians in today's society.

[edit on 2009/8/11 by TLomon]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sooooo !! USMC generals can walk around in the streets of Afganistan a talk God and Jesus and prack bibles on them, but in US, you cant pray before the meal ??

I dont see the logic...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The link is OneNewsNow.com - I type the links in the appropriate box, but for some reason they do not show up on the page.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't think there is any "trial" for contempt of court? A judge issues an order, if you violate it, the judge issues a bench warrant and you get arrested and detained for whatever time the judge feels is appropriate.

In the case of a Civil Suit, everything is pretty murky. I know they use Contempt charges in Child Support cases, but I don't know how it would apply to a case like this?

I still don't think it can stick, unless they "required" people to participate in the prayer. An emcee of an event can pray. They pray at Graduation at FSU! My old High School still prays over the loud speaker before sporting events! Politicians often pray at meetings.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This a very simple rule, the separation of church and state. Yet for some reason a lot of people just can't seem to get it right. With that said, sounds like a propaganda story to get Christians all ramped up and feeling persecuted.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I guess we will have to monitor this one and see how it comes out.

top topics

join