It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WiFi skipped out without so much as a note! Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I have an Acer Aspire 3500.
One day it went into hibernate and when it came back to life the WiFi stopped working. (It has been connecting without a problem before this). I ran a test with the software it comes from and it tells me the Radio fails every time. I can't find a switch on the laptop anywhere which leads me to believe that it is supposed to be always on although I cannot confirm this. All my network settings seem to be correct however it will not even detect a wireless network. The acer wifi software shows the hardware as disable however everything else says it is enabled

Here is what I have done so far.

Unplugged power/battery and turned it back on.

Ran ipconfig /release and /renew

Was going to reinstall the hardware drivers however ran out of time so please rule this out of your diagnosis.

No Avail.. Please Help!
Please!?!
Please?:bnghd:

[edit on 11-8-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I read this in another forum... same problem, here's how they fixed it

The likely problem is the setting that allows the operating system to turn off the wireless NIC to save power. I was having the same problems. Here is the fix (for Vista, XP is nearly the same): Open network connections, right click on wireless connection, select properties, on the dialog box click "configure", select the "power management" tab, uncheck the box that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" Problem solved!

Here

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Does it have a small switch near the mic/line-in/line-out connections?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

No, unfortunately I checked every inch of the machine and could not find a wifi switch.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

According to the manual it should have a switch there.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I read this in another forum... same problem, here's how they fixed it

The likely problem is the setting that allows the operating system to turn off the wireless NIC to save power. I was having the same problems. Here is the fix (for Vista, XP is nearly the same): Open network connections, right click on wireless connection, select properties, on the dialog box click "configure", select the "power management" tab, uncheck the box that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" Problem solved!

Here

Well that kind of makes sense. The AC cable came unplugged when this happened but I didn't think much of it at the time.

Words cannot describe the awesome that is you!

Of course I won't be home from work till a few hours from now so I cannot find out if it works till then, but I think it will.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Be sure to let us know if it works.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

You are coming along nicely, grasshopper.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Yes an awesome idea it was, thank you. It worked and now I feel dumb.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

And yes I am apparently blind because there is a button there, but that wasn't the problem.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is a very common problem and fortunately for me, I ran across the solution while doing research before I even bought my Acer Aspire One.

join