It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder by prayer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

An American couple have been convicted of murder for praying for their 11-year -old dauther's healing rather than seeking medical help. When Madeline Neumann collapsed from undiagnosed diabetes, eher parents, Dale and Leilani Neumann, began to prayer for God to intervene and save their daughter. They refused to call an ambulance. Dale Neuman is a former student of a Pentecostal Bible college. He and his wife will be sentenced in October.

What do the posters think if this is the couples beliefs are they correct to do what they did or was it reckless?

[edit on 11-8-2009 by orangeman dave]

[edit on 11-8-2009 by orangeman dave]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangeman dave

What do the posters think if this is the couples beliefs are they correct to do what they did or was it reckless?

The couple, like everyone else, have the right to freedom of religion, provided only that their religious practices do not interfere with the rights of others. In this case, the child's rights were violated by not being allowed medical attention. Her condition was easily treatable, and she was allowed to waste away and die due to some cult's kooky teachings.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by orangeman dave

Slippery slope alert!

Do you ever watch Bill O'Reilly's holiday rant against the ACLU for killing Christmas? He will bring up a few examples of over- zealous schools or regions afraid of litigation and "create" a culture war out of it. He makes it appear as though there is this HUGE majority of Christian haters out there.

For every Christian you bring up that denies treatment I could find someone who denies it because they think Big Pharm is trying to poison them. If you look hard enough you can find all sorts of breeds of crazy out there.

I do NOT want to mess with the Constitution because there are a few nutjobs out there. I feel terrible, TERRIBLE for the child who died just as I feel TERRIBLE for the woman who accidentally had both breasts removed during a knee operation, but I'm not about to say its a problem with the entire medical industry.

Some day I will want that religious exemption when it comes time for untested, overly rushed to production flu shots. Don't try and take it away with a scary story about two nutjobs that happen to be Christians.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
On the other hand, millions have been saved through prayer. Jesus healed with prayer and told us to do likewise.

Millions have died at the hands of medical science , both through neglect and incompetence.

Alternative healing has healed and some have died.

So people live and die under all methods, who is to say she would have lived under a Dr.s care?

My friends baby was born at home, but died unexpectantly, three days later. The Dr. at the morgue said even if he had been born at the hospital, he would have died.

So when does a nonexact science trump freedom of religion?

I have gone to the hospital emergency room several times over the years and they could never tell me what was wrong and simply sent me home. Are you so sure they would have properly diagnosed her then?

Judgement is easy when it is not you being judged.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
thise parents were wrong.

And BTW there have been saintly healers. Like st Vincent Ferrerr who raised the dead and Padre Pio who cured a dead boy whom the lady took to confession one day.

But those parents are WRONG.

It is a biblical fact that God apporoves of doctors. A biblical fact, and he said bring in the doctor if you are sick.

Healing is only a last chance hope when nothing else works.

again more fundamentalist who don't even read what their bible says.

This is why we get called crazy and have a bad name. people truly lack the grace of sanity.

But anyways the parents were wrong and I feal for the kid.

peace.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
its kind of ridiculous actually.

a student of the bible should know that not all prayers for healing were granted.

paul with his thorn in his side, timothy and his stomach, are just a few examples.

logic would say get some help

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This reminds me of a story about this guy who was on his roof during a big flood. He prayed for God to save him and had full faith that it would happen.

As the water got deeper a boat came by and offered him a ride but he refused saying "God will save me."

As time went on this happened with a canoe and a guy on a raft. Each time the man refused help saying 'God will save me."

He drowned.

When he got to heaven he asked God, "Why didn't you save me?"

God said, "What happened? I sent a boat, a canoe and a raft. Didn't they show up?"

new topics

top topics

join