It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News for a change : 350 New Species Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You lose some and you find some..
A flying frog got to be funny.
Let us hope they will find more intriguing species ..

Eastern Himalayas reveals abundance of new species

The story
Over 350 new species including the world's smallest deer, a "flying frog" and a 100 million-year old gecko have been discovered in the Eastern Himalayas, a biological treasure trove now threatened by climate change.

A decade of research carried out by scientists for the WWF in remote mountain areas brought discoveries such as a bright green frog that uses its red and long webbed feet to glide in the air.

The WWF report, "The Eastern Himalayas -- Where Worlds Collide," details discoveries made by scientists from various organizations between 1998 and 2008 in a region reaching across Bhutan and northeast India to the far north of Myanmar as well as Nepal and southern parts of Tibet in China.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
would love to see that flying frog in action

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

It's refreshing to see good news on here! Thanks for posting... I love learning about newly discovered species! Makes you wonder what else is out there that hasn't been discovered yet!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I agree, that is a refreshing piece of good news for a change. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Makes me wonder how many more forms of life there are out there waiting to be discovered.

Bad news... they will probably all be extinct within 50 years or less thanks to mankind's continuing abuse of the Earth and the environment.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by QBSneak000]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Lets not hope the Rich people in the world dont come along and want some sort of a 'exotic' lamp or some thing, cause those people realy dont care about nature and the sorts unless it is on their body or if they are sitting in it !

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
You lose some and you find some..
A flying frog got to be funny.
Let us hope they will find more intriguing species ..

Eastern Himalayas reveals abundance of new species

The story
Over 350 new species including the world's smallest deer, a "flying frog" and a 100 million-year old gecko have been discovered in the Eastern Himalayas, a biological treasure trove now threatened by climate change.

How is it good news that these, the last few remaining undisturbed wild creatures left on this godforsaken rock, are now threated by climate change?

It's bad news. We're extincting alot more animals than we ever discover, and the ones we do discover, are already threatened. More and more habitat will be destroyed, slashed and burned.

I appriciate that you want to tell us some good news, but I don't think finding some new animals who are already threatened with extinction is that great of news.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
and the bad news is that they are all immediately endangered

watch the scientific community swoop in and try to grab genetic samples of everything...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

How is it good news that these, the last few remaining undisturbed wild creatures left on this godforsaken rock, are now threated by climate change?

It's bad news. We're extincting alot more animals than we ever discover, and the ones we do discover, are already threatened. More and more habitat will be destroyed, slashed and burned.

I wouldn't worry too much about their threat from climate change unless they have actual proof of a threat. The WWF like to make bold statements about the threat to wildlife without any actual factual evidence.

They claim polar bears are in imminent danger of extinction due to human induced global warming, when in reality, polar bears are doing just fine. There would be no need to donate to WWF if the animals are safe now, would there. I'm not saying it's a bad cause, just that I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith into their statement without evidence. I think we should be making an effort to ensure these species habitat is not encroached upon and abused by humans.

But overall, I do think it's a positive that there are still new species being found, and some parts of the world that we haven't taken for granted and abused... yet.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Curious and Concerned]

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Curious and Concerned]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Hey, chill man,
these have probably made it longer than us in away.
Just because we have just discovered them resently, doesnt mean they are going extinct in a climate change ..

We , us, the humans are probably the ones facing an close exstinction event, since we are not natural habitants of this planet..

The animals here, have more insight and 'instinct' on this, since they have lived here longer than humans ..
It is cool, they will make it..Happy thoughts now !!!

[edit on 12/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
and the bad news is that they are all immediately endangered

watch the scientific community swoop in and try to grab genetic samples of everything...

They will swoop in and gather DNA, 'seeds' for the new era of gaia, it is all good.. Praise the , well, you know who ....

i'm thinking that DNA goes into the seed bank of the UK, and going to be used for 'replenishing' the earth, later on ! HalleLu... etc..

[edit on 12/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
In Hopi Prophecy it makes reference to strange creatures being discovered during the final days...this is very interesting.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
In Hopi Prophecy it makes reference to strange creatures being discovered during the final days...this is very interesting.

Hmm that is intresting, any links for me ??
id be intresting in that !!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

www.wolflodge.org...

Many things will begin to occur that will not make sense, for reality will be shifting back in and out of the dream state. There will be many doorways to the lower world that will open at this time. Things long forgotten will come back to remind us of our past creations. All living things will want to be present for this day when time ends, and we enter the forever cycle of the Fifth World.

There will be many strange beasts upon the Earth in those days, some from the past and some that we have never seen. . The nature of mankind will appear strange in these times we walk between worlds and we will house many spirits even within our bodies After a time we will again walk with our brothers from the Stars, and rebuild this Earth But not until the Purifier has left his mark upon the universe.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

www.wolflodge.org...

Many things will begin to occur that will not make sense, for reality will be shifting back in and out of the dream state. There will be many doorways to the lower world that will open at this time. Things long forgotten will come back to remind us of our past creations. All living things will want to be present for this day when time ends, and we enter the forever cycle of the Fifth World.
There will be many strange beasts upon the Earth in those days, some from the past and some that we have never seen. . The nature of mankind will appear strange in these times we walk between worlds and we will house many spirits even within our bodies After a time we will again walk with our brothers from the Stars, and rebuild this Earth But not until the Purifier has left his mark upon the universe.

This here :

"As we get close to the time of arrival the Purifier there will be those who walk as ghosts through the cities, through canyons they will have constructed in their man made mountains. Those that walk through these places will be very heavy in their walk, it will appear almost painful as they take each step for they will be disconnected from their spirit and the Earth.

Is this an reference to the Photon belt which supposedly we are on our way into ??

ManMade mountains ? Bunkers ??

top topics

join