It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of religion in america..Bs!! Not in kentucky Snake handlers Illegal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Handling snakes is practiced in a handful of fundamentalist churches across Appalachia, based on the interpretation of Bible verses saying true believers can take up serpents without being harmed. The practice is illegal in most states, including Kentucky.

Has anyone beside me been to one of these church's back in the day?
It's like the church of steve erwin!!!

I went with my grandma back 20 year's ago.
But what happen to Freedom of religion in America?
If they want to handle poisonous snake's that's there right i would think under the act.

but apparently it isn't.
And that's a shame..it was more than a religion it was a show..and took skill.
it was more art in motion for me.
scary yet with god's power they didn't get bite and die ..

They was awesome folk's.
www.cbsnews.com...

Long died about four hours after the bite was reported, the Lexington Herald-Leader reported.
Officials said Long attended East London Holiness Church. Neighbors of the church told the newspaper the church practices serpent handling.
Snake handling is based on a passage in the Bible from the Gospel of Mark that says a sign of a true believer is the power to "take up serpents" without being harmed.

But still how is this religion not protected under Freedom of religion act?
www.jstor.org...

Yeah it's a crazy to handle snake's to me..
But it's there right if they want ..
Plus it's cool watching them.

But sure let religion's that blow up people in the U.S.A...Hypocrisy at its finest.
Snake handlers have a deep seated history in the Appalachian mountain region.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, written in 1779 by Thomas Jefferson, proclaimed:
"[N]o man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

I am saying to you good people..
Show me one law that make's picking up poisonous snakes illegal.
that it in turn make's your religion illegal.

They don't kill the snake's.BTW
if they bite you you just wasn't as holy as ya thought

So there is no animal cruelty here.

So why is it illegal?

it's not against the law to kill yourself either in Kentucky..
so why is it illegal?
it's a part of American history as much as apple pie to some folk's.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by TheAmused]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
this is a law to aid in stupid people remaining safe to procreate. I disagree with limiting religious practices. These folks should be able to get bit by snakes if that is what they chose. It will help the gene pool.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
this is a law to aid in stupid people remaining safe to procreate. I disagree with limiting religious practices. These folks should be able to get bit by snakes if that is what they chose. It will help the gene pool.

Have you ever saw a snake handler church ?
www.youtube.com...

there normal people...
Just they honestly think they need to handle snakes to prove there faith.

and even if it's illegal they still have service's all the time..but it's on the down low.

There not inbreed if that's what your trying to say.

en.wikipedia.org...

The states of Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee have passed laws against the use of venomous snakes and/or other reptiles in a place that endangers the lives of others, or without a permit. The Kentucky law specifically mentions religious services; in Kentucky snake handling is a misdemeanor and punishable by a $50 to $250 fine.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My dad used to work on the snake handler's cars. I remember one time he opened a trunk and it was full of rattlesnakes.

There's was a big church right up the road here.
I bet it is a good show, good way to get folks in.
SO the preachers that do it, I can see where their faith is an aid to their proselytization, bringing more souls to hear the message of God, which I understand they feel compelled to do.

I myself support goat sacrifice. Not because I do it, but as long as goats are legal for food, I don't see why they can't be sacrificed by those who believe in it. To protect freedom of religion, we've got to protect the religions we don't like or practice ourselves.

I personally don't like mock ritualized canabalism and find it distasteful. You wouldn't want me to get in charge and outlaw communion. Others would be quick to outlaw male circumcision. Slippery slope controlling others.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I guess it's all in how you look at it. I don't think there's any specific intent to infringe on someone's religious practices, but there are laws about trading in exotic reptiles and keeping dangerous animals.

There are some goofy people out there and we can't very well endanger public safety over it.

Here's the Biblical passage-

These are some of the signs that will accompany believers: They will throw out demons in my name, they will speak with new tongues, they will take snakes in their hands, they will drink poison and not be hurt, they will lay hands on the sick and make them well.”
Mark 16:17-18

Poison probably isn't a good idea either. Speaking in tongues isn't dramatic enough. Maybe drop the snake deal and heal somebody. At least there's some benefit if you can pull that off.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If snake handling is illegal - what do you do if you get a big snake on your property - call the police to move it? If they handle it, aren't they then doing something illegal?

This law seems purely based on religious discrimination.
How could handling a snake be illegal? Some people have pet snakes?
My friend has several - she says getting them out is a great way to make unwanted company and snooping neighbors leave real fast.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Another "for your own good" fascism law.

It's not like these people will stop what they're doing. If anything it will be driven underground where things are more shady and less safe. It will also serve to give credibility to the handlers and their respective faiths as it's "big bad Caesar government out to squash the truth."

Government will never learn.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It is always freedom with their exception. That's the rule didn't you know?

I have venomous snakes, among many other reptiles and amphibians, and I would never "handle" the venomous ones.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Unfortunately, there is no law that prevents either Congress or States from enacting laws that are knowingly unconstitutional. (Although it would be a good idea to make a Federal Law preventing such.)

That is, however, why we have Judiciary Process and the Supreme Court.

When laws are enacted that infringe upon the unalienable Rights accorded by our U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, if falls upon the People to rectify the wrong by seeking remediation through the Courts.

Although I personally think Snake Handler Churches are a bunch of nutters, I also believe that they have the unalienable right to freedom to practice their religion so long as it does not harm another. Santarean Churches have the right to conduct animal sacrifice as a protected part of their religion, just as the Federal Native American Church has the right to use Mescaline as a protected part of their religion, just as the Scientologists have the right to do their whacked out Audits as a protected part of their religion (although admittedly that's stretching the legal definition of a religion pretty far). As a nation, we legally allow some pretty weird and off-the-wall behavior on behalf of religious tolerance. I do not believe that Snake Handler Churches, or any other religious belief should ever be singled out and discriminated against, preventing them from practicing their religion as they see fit.

I agree this is wrong to make it a misdemeanor to handle a snake in church in that State. What members of that congregation needs to do is challenge the law in Court. If they do not have a lawyer among their congregation, then that's what the ACLU is for.

Just because we are accorded unalienable Constitutional Rights doesn't mean we don't have to sometimes fight to have them.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I completely agree with you all. They should be allowed....nay encouraged to handle snakes especially at a young age.

Making this illegal is a total violation of your consitutional right to be a total f#*@ing moron.

I hope that this is made legal so that natural selection will take care of the issue itself. Oh but I forgot, they probably don't believe in that either.

new topics

top topics

join