It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics are real

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by azure-door

I would take the word of a 60yr old with a degree before I would take it from the infants who infest this place

So in that case you aren't a skeptic that thinks Colonel Philip Corso was a nutter losing his mind then. He was a 60+ year old with a degree after all.

What about Stanton Friedman.... several degrees... take his word as well?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The kernel of my point is that Age (experience) and qualifications (knowledge) do count.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

The kernel of my point is that Age (experience) and qualifications (knowledge) do count.

Well of course they do.

That is inarguable.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

That is inarguable.

Not on this board apparently.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Now I know there has been a lot of discussion on this board as to whether skeptics are actually government disinfo agents, MIB, aliens, interdimensional beings, bad dreams etc. But I want to assure you that skepticism is entirely human trait and quite commonly found in human discussions. I know we have been missing for a while but its not due to being abducted, it was because we were busy doing real investigations and research and didnt notice that the loons had taken over this asylum. I remember the days (before the flood) when people would have been savaged for some of the stuff that gets posted on these boards these days. There were giants and mighty ufo hunters who built huge websites...

~
Ok, I am confused, you was doing some real investigation ... good for u really ... noone heres want to know what the heck you was doing ... bye, see u next

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Ok, I am confused, you was doing some real investigation ... good for u really ... noone heres want to know what the heck you was doing ... bye, see u next

I am equally confused, I take it you are from a non English speaking country?

[edit on 12/8/2009 by azure-door]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
In my opinion it does little good to attempt to please skeptics by proving anything to them specifically. Reason: even in the scientific world scientists and such are continuously backstabbing each other and attempting to tear each others ideas apart. Certainly this type of behavior separates the weeds from the chafe however, so oneupmanship does have a good outcome usually. Certainly, egos do clash in Ufology, but the clamor is equally as great in science.

I reckon simply presenting one's finding or relating one's experiences and moving on without regard to trying to prove anything other than going through regular displays of evidence and factual corroboration are the way to go. And to Hades with the rest. Who really cares about pleasing or displeasing anyone.

Because essentially, everyone is a skeptic on something in Ufology: "believers" are skeptical that UFOs do not exist, "skeptics" are skeptical that UFOs exist, and so on.

I don't do labels, and I can't believe I'm even contributing in this thread. Damn Ritalin.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by nethawk]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I dont engage in private messaging, post your messages in public.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by azure-door2

That was a message from the mod to that user for an off topic post, not a comment on the topic.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by azure-door

Yes, i know age and a degree does count, i myself ain't a kid but i am not a professor either, but that does not make me an sheep-lish idiot.

Still you missed my point, totally. So many times when these ott skeptics gets a hiding they fall back to "I am older, so i know all about life" or "I have a degree, do not argue with me" Why should any of us believe what such people are saying is true when they cannot provide back up for their reason with some proof? So, all older & well educated people are spot on with everything? The doctor who gave my child a shot for pain, does he know all about the unexplained? That man knows his medicines but i can tell him things about the unknown.

If a 20 year old skeptic can deliver some evidence as to why he/she disagree then i do read and follow up on their claims, and appreciate their research to that of a "50 year old doctor" who just say it is so without any proof.

No matter who we are we always learn something new. Just this broken record of laughing & dissing people who caught something on camera is sad.

It is to keep an open mind on all aspects. To respect every persons claim, and to look into such claims and then to provide honest and decent reasons as to why we believe or not believe, with sincerity if deserved.

I respect any person with a degree, and i respect people of all ages. I do not respect arrogant people whom believe that what they say goes without providing back-up, no matter if they are educated or not, old or young.

Kaelem

[edit on 8/12/2009 by qonone]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by azure-door

Skeptics are real

This is a major question of modern times and one that cannot be ignored. To wit: Is it possible that humans, gifted either naturally or otherwise with some basic sum of logic and intelligence, could purposely ignore and then deny so many things so very obvious?

There are some that truly doubt that skeptics - at least to the degree of those mythical creatures known as 'Debunkers' - really exist.

One quote seems to sum the current thought...

If I could, for the sake of humanity, prove that any sum of the whole was incapable of the most simple extrusions of understanding, I might also be tempted to deny them a hearing. But not, so you might imagine, all those who carelessly mistake in the hand of regular sum. It is entirely those who, and only the same, through their own fine efforts, continually arrive back at the cave and begin stoking small fires to deny the existence of light. The remainder are merely mistaken. Themis Obviosis - AD 887

The state, rests.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join