It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent Concentration Camps in the U.S.A

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
On February 19, 1942, soon after the beginning of World War II, Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066. The evacuation order commenced the round-up of 120,000 Americans of Japanese heritage to one of 10 internment camps—officially called "relocation centers"—in California, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, and Arkansas.

Roosevelt's executive order was fueled by anti-Japanese sentiment among farmers who competed against Japanese labor, politicians who sided with anti-Japanese constituencies, and the general public, whose frenzy was heightened by the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor. More than 2/3 of the Japanese who were interned in the spring of 1942 were citizens of the United States.

The U.S. internment camps were overcrowded and provided poor living conditions. According to a 1943 report published by the War Relocation Authority (the administering agency), Japanese Americans were housed in "tarpaper-covered barracks of simple frame construction without plumbing or cooking facilities of any kind." Coal was hard to come by, and internees slept under as many blankets as they were alloted. Food was rationed out at an expense of 48 cents per internee, and served by fellow internees in a mess hall of 250-300 people.

Leadership positions within the camps were only offered to the Nisei, or American-born, Japanese. The older generation, or the Issei, were forced to watch as the government promoted their children and ignored them.

Eventually the government allowed internees to leave the concentration camps if they enlisted in the U.S. Army. This offer was not well received. Only 1,200 internees chose to do so.

Forced into confinement by the United States, 5,766 Nisei ultimately renounced their American citizenship. In 1968, nearly two dozen years after the camps were closed, the government began reparations to Japanese Americans for property they had lost.

In 1988, the U.S. Congress passed legislation which awarded formal payments of $20,000 each to the surviving internees—60,000 in all. This same year, formal apologies were also issued by the government of Canada to Japanese Canadian survivors, who were each repaid the sum of $21,000 Canadian dollars.

While Japanese-Americans comprised the overwhelming majority of those in the camps, thousands of Americans of German, Italian, and other European descent were also forced to relocate there. Many more were classified as "enemy aliens" and subject to increased restrictions. As of 2004, the U.S. Government has made no formal apology or reparations to those affected.

well yea i put this up cause of all the talk about the F.E.M.A camps and just so people can see that our government is able to do these kinds of things, another thing, i understand it was a time of war but to take these peoples rights away and put them in camps, the least the government can do is take care of them and not make them live under poor conditions, but what can you expect when places like these are crowded

[edit on 11-8-2009 by ^anubis^]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ok, so what you're saying is, the most recent camps were 65 years ago and also perpetrated by a progressive? It was, "for the greater good", is that where you're drawing parallels? Wait a sec, are you drawing parallels?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Your point?

Stupid things are done during wartime?

The government has ulterior motives beyond the nationality issue?

It has happened before and it can happen again?

Give us an opinion or insight to go along with the facts. (Which were well presented.)

You've got potential here. Where are you going to go with it?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

I think if the goverment would have interned german-american or Itailian Americans like they did the japs, they would have fought a three front war, one here and two over there. Europeans at that time made over 85 percent of the population Japs diddnt. So you see this could have been a reason.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So this thread is or was about recent concentration camps?
I know there WAS concentration camps built a while ago, the conspiracy is that there ARE F.E.M.A. camps being built now.

Whats the correlation?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Thanks anubis. I think this is important info that many people are not aware of. Yes, there is a parallel to what is happening today and the internment of japanese-americans in WW2.

The sad fact most people are NOT aware of is that the United States
government went into COG ( Continuity of Government) protocol on 9/11.

Did you not hear that we are still at war? Bush even said this will be a long war and we are still in it.

While nobody talks about it the sad fact is that we are STILL under COG.

There are no Constitutional protections anymore! Wake up America. Turn off the tv's and xboxes and get busy for what's coming.
By the time we are all aware that there is no Constitution it will be too late. S&F for you!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

thank you, i felt like people were getting the wrong message. but you got the whole point of it. i just wanted people to know what had happened cause its never really talked about anywhere not even in history books, well a tleast not where i went in high school.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^
reply to post by Asktheanimals

thank you, i felt like people were getting the wrong message. but you got the whole point of it. i just wanted people to know what had happened cause its never really talked about anywhere not even in history books, well a tleast not where i went in high school.

Autowrench:
True, the history books aren't going to teach you these things either. I went to school in the 1960s and 70s, and I didn't get a good education either. The versions of the Revolution, the Civil war, WW1 and WW2, and true American history was different from the true stories. Even ancient history, what little we know about it, is mostly hidden, along with any information on the criminal activities of our government officials, the manipulation of the economy and the Stock Market, and the dealings of the Federal Reserve Bank and the Military Industrial Complex. All these things I had to learn on my own, just like everyone else has to do. Just like you will have to, if you want to know.

new topics

top topics

join