It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have to do something!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Every person I talk to about heath care that has nothing specific to cite or no real positive argument in favor of health care reform but yet they fight tooth and nail for it says the same thing.

"We have to do something!"

To all of those people who are saying this, it's not a reason to blindly do anything and just allow the bill to go through without any checks and balances.

Ive noticed these people are mostly but not limited to, the uninformed, people who rely on MTV for their news, people who sponge off the government anyway, etc etc.

"We have to do something!" is not a good reason to just do whatever!! Wakeup..

By all means if you have a good reason other than "We have to do something!"
please feel free to be specific and cite why you think this is the best thing for everyone.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Here's a thought I had the other day. It seems to me that the big issue with health care is that it costs so much. It also seems to me that a major part of why it costs so much is due to outrageous insurance premiums the doctors etc. have to pay, and that the reason their premiums are so high is that there are so many lawyers just itching to sue them.

So, instead of having the government foot the bill for everyone's high-priced healthcare, why don't they just pay for the doctor's insurance and drop healthcare costs down to a reasonable level that folks can afford. They can make some of that money back by hitting lawyers with astronomical fines for bringing stupid lawsuits to court, like suing resturaunts because the coffee was to hot.

After all, it's the insurance guys and lawyers who are really cleaning up with all this. A lot of doctors can barely stay in business due to high premiums. It seems only fair that if legislation is passed that makes it mandatory to buy someone's product (as they did with auto insurance, and you know health insurance is soon to follow) that the government who makes it mandatory should foot the bill.

It just kinda makes sense to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Well..we have to do 'something', right?
I have insurance already, but a high deductible. Prescriptions cost too much and doctor visits cost too much.

Insurance is a scam.

If we could just get the costs down, it would be alright. I don't see why we need to spend a trillion plus dollars on a plan that apparently isn't good enough for our 'representatives' to sign up for themselves.

I wonder what happens when we remove the potential for profit from our current medical system. How will running a hospital be an attractive proposition for a company when they can no longer charge twelve bucks for a band-aid?

The thought of government run hospitals is freaking' scary to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

You have the right idea about where to look for a fix. IMHO the legal system in the US is a joke. You can have a BS lawsuit against anyone and what will most likely happen is an out of court settlement. the guy suing gets a little, but guess who make out like a bandit? the lawyers on both sides. that is why we have evolved into the money grubbing nation that we are.

If a law is passed that before you can sue someone, you have to have a bond to cover the legal costs for both sides should you loose your suit. Then a company who is being sued for a BS reason wouldn't fear a court battle and the frivolous lawsuits would stop immediately. then with the trickle down effect, the cost of healthcare/doctor charges, would have to go down. The only people hurt by this solution is the lawyers. Those bloodsuckers could use a little reality check.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by network dude]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I agree that it wouldn't hurt to adjust a few things but this new health care bill is packed with little nuggets that the majority of citizens want no part in.

Just because we need it we don't have to jump on this and accept the bad that is coming with it. Why can they not figure something out that does not give the government total control of making the decisions about who lives and who dies.

You do realize we will be trading one nightmare for another right?
There is not going to be any perfect solution to the health care problem.
In the end there will still be people who will not receive care and it does not matter if those people can say "i have health care" if they cant receive care.

We don't have a flawless system right now but I do believe it is still pretty decent. I don't think we should scrap the whole thing.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I still don't see how American can sh!t on our health care system here in Canada. Go to a doctor one and pay NOTHING, see how good it feels, talk to me then. I have insurance as well, they cover 80% of my perscriptions. So, if I get sick, most it will ever cost me is about 40 bucks.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I agree that America using Canada as a health care boogie man was a bad idea. Certain people had to put a face on it and it just so happen to be Canada's horror health care stories.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
If you don't like big insurance you sure aren't going to like the Dem health care bill. The Obama administration already has big pharma in their back pocket.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The "solution" being proposed doesn't address high health care costs. I don't even know what problems it addresses. As near as I can tell the big complaint is that their are 50 million people in America without health care. I don't want to get into debating the number again because we all know it's bogus (includes non-US Citizens, people making over 75k a year, etc), but why not create a bill JUST FOR those people?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

That was exactly my husband's response to the bank bailouts last September! "They have to do something!" & "The Sooner the Better too"

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Thats what they want the majority of citizens to do. They count on it.
"we have to do something so let us take care of everything , you don't need any input." Riiiiight

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
Go to a doctor one and pay NOTHING, see how good it feels, talk to me then.

Canada is not the US. Smaller countries and populations with smaller budgets and government bodies actually have a shot at a socialized healthcare system that works for the most part.

Our government here in the US can't build an outhouse without a billion dollar rider being aded to the cost of the toilet seat. Or health care is fantastic, it just costs too much. Having the US Government get into it will effectively destroy it as a health care system at all.

Comparing the Canadian health care system to the proposed Obama plan is like comparing an apple to a hand grenade.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

You have the right idea.....

Now that's something I don't often hear!
Usually I just get a "you don't know what the hell you're talking about".

I just think that any legislation designed to fix high health care costs by passing the bill to someone else is treating the symptom, not the cause. To fix the problem, you have to determine why the costs are so high, and then fix that.

Although I also think that any service (especially one provided by private companies) that is required by law to buy, then the law makers should pay for it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I like your idea as well. I personally think some well thought out reforms would be a lot better than making everything more complicated.

new topics

top topics

join