It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amsterdam: O'Reilly Factor vs. reality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Amsterdam: O'Reilly Factor vs. reality

www.boingboing.net

Bill O'Reilly recently invited a couple of pert blond Republican strategists to frighten Fox viewers about Amsterdam's lax pot laws, which have made the city a "mess," and "cesspool of corruption."

The video above was made by a citizen of Amsterdam who used real statistics about drug use in his city compared with drug use in the US.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Hear hear this poor Republican thing spouting such nonsense. I guess most of you have never been to Amsterdam, but it's obvious that Fox contributes in stigmatizing the Netherlands, and particularly Amsterdam.

And if only it was true, rather they waste their time on telling pure lies to frighten the American people of what could possibly happen if the Liberals take control of their country.

Pathetic.

Let this be a good lesson not to watch the lies told by the mainstream media.

www.boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

He isnt even a news anchor , he´s just a commentator speaking whats on top of his mind ,

besides he´s a liar and he´s been caught several times , if i recall correctly in one case they couldent even begin to press charges because he was diagnosed a pathological lier.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

most american backpackers dont even get passed "dam" when they come to europe for traveling.

and most bed and breakfast´s are owned by u.s citizens.

that sums it up for me pretty much.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

i agree. It is a place that everyone should visit for the experience, but as a way of life, it was too surreal for me in the end.

At the end of the day, if these news people are scared of their country turning crazy because of Weed legalisation, then im afraid they are way off the mark.

Throughout my life, nearly all the trouble I have witnessed has been at the hands of alcohol, not Weed or any other Drug in fact.

Yes Meth, Heroin etc are a different league altogether, but I also have seen more Meth, Heroin use in other countries than Holland.

Even here in New Zealand there is a huge Meth problem.

Maybe I am getting off topic. Sorry.

I guess what im trying to say is that Holland is a great place and Amsterdam is more of a tourist novelty than anything else. It should not be critisised just because it tries a new approach. It should be praised!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

theres a saying in Finland that goes like this :

Se koira älähtää, johon kalikka kalahtaa

translated :

Empty vessels make most noise.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
In the Netherlands they're actually closing prisons down for lack of criminals. Yeah the Dutch and their crazy ass liberal ways. If we didn't have weed (a substance over 66% of Americans have tried in their lifetime) to put the fear of god into... I don't know who then something... I don't know what will happen. Unfortunately America (and ATS) is still too stupid to be able to handle drugs.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I have many friends from the Dam and its a great city ..

as the other poster said they do their best unlike prohibition That worked like a treat!

Oh wait no it made of the biggest gangsters in history.... Legal drugs is not the problem E legal drugs IS because no one can moniter it or get tax from it...

If we are free people we should have a choice.. here in England they banned smoking in public places .. Even tho they SELL smokes in the shop?

seems some what daft.. why not let the people who wish to smoke smoke? and now they are saying you can not get treated on the NHS if you smoke?

Most of the revenue the NHS gets IS from smokers as a pack of smokes is one of the bIG ticket items ..

and Bill is just a talking head.. I dont own a TV so .. yeah i just do no like tv unless its for movies or a docu

S+F good thread

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Anyone believing Oreilly should be sent to a mental hospital. Seriously...O'reilly? Are you kidding? Biggest joke on TV... along with Keith Olbermann now, who's licking Obama's boots when he was somewhat truthful during the Bush administration... Oreilly has always been full of it... in his early years he was reporting on the cover up of the JFK murder... but then he sold his soul.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
What a narrow minded prick, that O'Reilly guy.
I'm a non violent guy but he deserves a slap in the face!
Amsterdam is just like any other city with the only difference that they tolerate pot and have legal prostitution like the rest of the Netherlands.
And the tolerance towards pot is getting less and less. 10 Years ago you were allowed to carry 30 grams with you, than they changed it to 5 grams and nowadays you are not allowed to carry any pot with you, it gets confiscated and you get fined.
Shops are not allowed to sell you more than 5 grams and you can have that same amount at home. You are also allowed to grow 5 plants but a good farmer can easily get multiple kilos from those, so you can get into trouble for that. Shops are being provided with illegally grown pot so there is where the "organised Crime" kicks in.

And those that oppose prostitution, would rape get more common if there were no prostitutes?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I went to Amsterdam with my wife last year and it was great. We also went all over europe. I thought it was a nice looking place, but I love Europe in general although I am American. And the people there are great. And I agree with the one poster who said its mostly tourists who go t the cafes with pot and stuff. Thats what I noticed too. I saw no crime or corruption (and I don't really consider pot smoking, magic musrooms and prostitution as bad or wrong or "immoral", as long as its regulated, which it is there).

I bet there is like 100x more crime in the average us city then there is in Amsterdam.

Bill Oreilly is a freaking idiot. He did a "expose" on San Francisco which I live near and he showed it as if its some place where people are just doing drugs all over the streets and having sex in public like its the 60s or something. He also made comments about if a terrorist group or whatever wants to bomb us then to bomb San Fran and no one would miss us. People like bill oreilly arent wanted here and they can stay the hell out of our city, they don't deserve to be here and they don't belong and arent accepted. Hes a disgusting creature (I refuse to call him human). Marijuana is pretty much legal here (well technically its not, but the police don't care and its legal for medical purposes if you get a card, which are easy to get) and he showed it like its causing tons of problems, its not. Its nothing like that. Also anyone that doesn't support medical pot is stupid, it helps with a variety of things and its MUCH, much better for you than oxycontin and opiates and all that stuff they give for pain. Seriously, anyone who doesn't support it is obviously uneducated about it and probably think its some hardcore addicting powerful drug. Or you just choose to support drug companies (pure evil). Stop believing everything your parents and the tv tell you and learn for yourself. Bill Oreilly is one sided, biased and retarded. I cannot that stand that man. And I even consider myself a conservative (but not in the stereotypical traditional sense), but all these so called conservatives on TV and radio are idiots and make people think all of us are that extreme. I can't think of one conservative on TV or radio that I respect. Not one single one. Even though I may agree with some of their views, the way they present them is really extreme and rediculous.

But yeah bill oreilly is a idiot and I feel sorry for anyone who takes him serious and agrees with him. Actually I don't feel sorry for them, I laugh at them.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Great post as always gunna friend you.. Now i know your going to hate me for this but the way you talked then was like Megan mcain..

She gets some bad press but even she says it like it is sometimes i think if i have one person "conservite" who i like it would be here..

read her blogs shes a young normal girl with good points.. ok some are talking shop crap because of her dad but i have read some of her stuff and she seems really down to earth in many ways..

That was not a pitch btw lol just was saying

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Great post as always gunna friend you.. Now i know your going to hate me for this but the way you talked then was like Megan mcain..

She gets some bad press but even she says it like it is sometimes i think if i have one person "conservite" who i like it would be here..

read her blogs shes a young normal girl with good points.. ok some are talking shop crap because of her dad but i have read some of her stuff and she seems really down to earth in many ways..

That was not a pitch btw lol just was saying

Funnily enough I was bored at work last week and was going through blogs and came across hers and read some. She is *kind of* the same type of conservative as I am. I bookmarked her site and have checked it a couple times since then. Also I do consider myself conservative I guess but I also have many views that would be considered liberal (I am from the Bay Area in California after allits kind of hard to be a hardcore conservative here, lol and I've picked up certain liberal ideas over the years that I agree with).

Anyways I'm just ranting. I also added you as a friend.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
.... i wonder who edited the clip for youtube? Nice play time =]

just legalize it, and reform our economy from the fruit bearing plant from the bible, nuff said

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
************ REMINDER **************

2e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities; specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, dicussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

2e.i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Terms and Conditions

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
O'Reilly will say anything to fuel disinformation, and confusion.

Notice at the end of the clip from above, he says,

" I don't care what's going on in Amsterdam" - Bill O'Reilly

How is he going to do a segment on Amsterdam, and then say he doesn't care about what's going in Amsterdam in a Amsterdam comparison? It's his show, doesn't he control the subjects that are discussed?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
heh, in away o´realy acturly brings forth the truth about subjects by being the ignorat that he is.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
************ REMINDER **************

2e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities; specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, dicussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

Terms and Conditions

Under the T&C, linking to Fox News is forbidden, because they're talking about drug use!

Living without government health insurance is a crime where I live - can we get a ban on the health plan threads now?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a little information on the actual use of said drugs comparatively between the Netherlands and the USA:

Social Indicator / Year / USA / Netherlands

Lifetime prevalence of marijuana use 2001 / 36.9% / 17.0%

Past month prevalence of marijuana use 2001 / 5.4% / 3.0%

Lifetime prevalence of heroin use 2001 / 1.4% / 0.4%

Incarceration Rate per 100,000 population 2002 / 701 / 100

link

Interesting isn't it. Our country is obviously doing much worse when it comes to use and the penalties that are associated with it, yet for some reason o'really presents the facts as if the USA is the model the word should subscribe to. An ethnocentric prick really, and an ignorant one.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Animal]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join