It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whitch system do you use?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
windows or apple or? I know this sounds simple to many of you..but I would appreciate your reply and understanding for the basic reasons for your choice. I choose windows for a simple reason...MONEY........hahah it was the most ample and ready system out there and it was the first I was exposed to. I would love to be "EXPOSED" to others. I believe.........windows is a mess and has alot of flaws and is used to take all the info and use it against me and you. I am sure of that.......I wish to learn more...can you help?

I am only here to learn and be a teacher if I can,

warm regards,

Enigma

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I just dowloaded and installed Ubuntu Linux and am also experimenting with Fedora Linux.

SO much better than windows.

Not only is Ubuntu and a ton of forms of Linux free, you can also get a litany of software equal to that which costs 100s of dollars for free. Antivirus - Anti-Hacking - Office-style programs.

I was playing around with Ubuntu today during lunch and it ran like a champ, so much faster than windows I almost wanted to cry.

If you're interested:

www.ubuntu.com

fedoraproject.org...

It's also very good if you're into ...ahem... hacking.

Cheers!

[edit on 11-8-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
WinXP atm. For gaming reasons plus I never really had troulbe with windows.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Windows, only because 99% of all programs are only available on Windows.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Pc and Mac!

Love them both. PC's are cheaper and good for gaming.

I have a Mac Book also, I feel the Mac laptops are much better quality than PC Laptops.

Plus, on Macs now you can have windows installed anyway.

As for programs for Mac, anything you would need is available for them.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Windows XP. It's what I'm used to, it works, it is fast, everything works on it. I have no problems with security, bugs, or anything, and it's cheap.

Fedora 11 - as a backup because I have a habit of destroying my Windows installation every few months. And also to try because I had never used Linux before. It's good, but not everything works on it, it has steep learning curve, and I don't use or notice most of the features. XP remains primary OS.

Linux is definitely not ready for prime time. Maybe Google Chrome will fix that.

[edit on 11/8/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by enigmalone

A good way to experience other OS's like Ubuntu etc, is to use Microsofts VirtualPC - or if you can obtain a copy, VMWare workstation.

As long as your main rig has enough power and ram, yu can install the OS into those to determine what you like/dislike about them. Ubuntu for example runs great in a VMWare box - but you can also run it from a Live CD which means you boot up from the CD and it loads into memory, you can use it as if it were installed, then reboot to get back to your main OS.

I like ubuntu, it has a natural feel to it. and installing software could not be easier as long as it's in the Synaptic repositories.

I don't use it however, as I paid a load for software that wont run natively in it and I lose too many benefits of running things in wine, but it has helped me many times with the livecd when I've corrupted this box and had to get on the net to download drivers/files etc.

I just spent the day reinstalling XP over my W7beta and I'm still suprised that right out of the box, XP has no audio , no decent video, no NIC for my system, yet ubuntu loads up with audio, great resolution and network support without me having to consider it.

I would be considering Windows 7 a lot more, but until they address issues like Alcohol52% support, it will only be something to watch.

As for learning curves, Windows7 is as much a learning curve over XP and XP was over 98, as 98 was over 3.11.

So ubuntu has no real problem when it comes to learning things - definitely ready for desktops for people who use office apps, web browsing, play audio/video, etc.

If you're a gamer or a multimedia editor, there are alternatives, but they fall flat compared to Windows supported equivalents.

That's not the OS's fault however, it's the software companies not supporting the OS.

Never used a MAC.

and ^^ - I don't know what google chrome will do for linux.. lol.. If the OS is anything like the browser, it will suck...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Windows XP sp3 on my Dell XPS 410

and

Vista 64bit, sp1 on my HP G60 Laptop.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I use Windows Vista. Because it came on my laptop.

I'm happy with it.

top topics

join