It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five state system will make quantum computers more powerful

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The emerging Field of Quantum Computing, five state quantum computer is more stable than binary computers because of it potential to be much more powerful and revolutionize computing

Memo to the developers of superfast quantum computers: give up on the familiar 1s-and-0s binary system used in conventional computers. By switching to a novel five-state system, you will find it easier to build the staggeringly powerful machines.

By firing microwave photons of five different frequencies into the circuit, they were able to encourage it to jump between five discrete energy levels. "We also developed a quantum measuring technique that can distinguish between all of these levels," says Neeley.

Because, in probabilistic terms, the qudit's five quantum states are able to exist simultaneously, the team had a working qudit on their hands.

Source: www.newscientist.com...

www.sciencemag.org...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Interesting. I remember a professor telling me back when I was in school a few years ago that there were groups researching three state computers, but those I think were not quantum computers, but used a three state electronic device.

I wonder what computers will look like in twenty years? There's research going on in a lot of different areas; quantum, optical, and so on. I suppose only time will tell which one will be first.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I want one!

Sounds fast?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

As if the usual quantum computer is not powerful enough.
Nice find, S&F for you.

Now, is 1kiloqubytes = 1000 qubytes or 1024 qubytes?

new topics

top topics

join