It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best 2012 theory based on science yet.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have been looking at the 2012 issues for the last 20 years and finally I have read a theory that is based on science, physical evidence, historical record, etc. I read this first story and then checked out every link in it and all told it will take you a few hours to read it all if you want to study the published materials that support the article.

This is given me a lot to think about and it hit home with the new movie, "Knowing." It goes to many debates we have now going on in science.

www.viewzone.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have also been involved in this search for the truth since about 1978. I saw the first showing of info about Nostrodaumus narrated by Orson wells at that time and as a kid I was changed for life from that show. Now,.. today I see so many of the things he had predicted coming true and with all the science that backs it up, I am becoming a believer. So many things are happening NOW,.. it would be foolish to brush it off without being a bit concerned. I am a skeptic of many things but can't find solid evidence to debunk science and Nostrodamus. Yes,.. he made vague explanations, however they seem to close to our reality. I do still find myself sayin we'll see what happens. The sun has been my latest focus for the last few years. It has been quiet, but I am putting my trust in many sources to tell me it is only temporary. I am concerned.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Interesting stuff for sure. S&F. How credible is this website and its content though?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Good web site. What it does not tell you is how long the sun’s activity will last and what you can do to survive the worst. What would the real affect be to the Northern hemisphere? After all Dec 21 is winter time.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I still don't see why any credence is given to the Mayan predictions, as their astronomy and math were already far superseded before their civilization even hit it's golden age. Even in the sparse rare areas in which they were more accurate than their eastern contemporaries - the margins by which they were correct were not anything extraordinary. At least, not extraordinary enough to warrant such belief if predictions which modern day Mayans generally don't even accept.

I still think this fascination is borne from the fact that Mayan civilization is still very alien and foreign to us. The reasonings, logic, philosophies, and observations which went into Ptolemy's Almagest or Euclid's Elements are well known to us in the west. They've been well studied, and built the cornerstones of our own civilizations. We know, in their own words, how they came to their discoveries and theories. We know it wasn't aliens or mystical providence. We have none of that with the Mayans... and if it existed at all, it was likely burnt by Diego De Landa or other such religious missionaries.

A casual glance to the site suggests more "Pseudoscience" than "Science". I can't see any astrophysicist seriously standing behind any of that. Maybe I'll take a crack at debunking if someone else doesn't. Biology is more my realm anyhow.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
You have to dig into some of the PDF files that support this theory for some good science background but if it is true that a gamma burst from the center of our the Milky Way sets it off, and there is now data that supports that this was what destroyed the fauna last cycle, then this is an event that unless your a chosen one for some underground complex that exist, your fried. Read both part 1 & 2 and you can see there is no sense in trying. Even those underground may not survive when food and water runs out. Think about it, all humans have been traced back to about two thousand humans through DNA studies. That goes back to the last cycle 12 thousand plus years ago so this guy is saying, a few survived somehow. But I'd call that a wipe out over all. If this is part of a universal cycle, and if this one is of a given strength, we really are looking at being toast in our life times. I have always looked at 2012 as most likely a Y2K moment in time and like every other day, it will pass and a lot of people will have egg on their face. This is a mind blower, but we will be seeing it coming, the earth changes will not be something the government can cover up. All the hidden installations we've heard speculated about will come to light, people will be digging in deep all over the planet, etc. Too many scientist will be watching it to keep the dimension of the thing secret, so I suspect we will be able to decide if we want to freak and dig for our lives or take the lawn chairs out and watch the light shows that will get more awesome as the time gets closer. The way it is explained, it will be very close to the 12/11/2012, we'll know we are moving into the plane of gravity with the highest Gamma reading coming on like gang busters. I will be 60 years old when I set and watch it coming, and if it is going to fry the planet, I hope it is just like in the movie "Knowing" and not over a couple weeks or months. I'm really not into seeing our world turn into a Mad Max movie until the last man is fried.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I give religion and myths little credence myself, but if you are going to "debunk" this, focus on the science, and read all the supporting papers. There is science and respected scientist if you take the time to read it all. Your description of the site may be for the most part true, but that says nothing about this material and the science behind it. Don't be so smug and let us see if your superior mind can find the flaws you assume exist. If they are competent, they will add to the discussion and you will have the pleasure of enlightening us.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
www.viewzone.com...

Here is the PDF file on the MegaFauna Edtinction that is a good read if you didn't find it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pappie54

but if you are going to "debunk" this, focus on the science, and read all the supporting papers.

The papers themselves may not need debunked, because they probably do not support the site author's proposition. Have you tried emailing any of the scientists involved in any of those papers and asked them or notified them of this site? Perhaps I should do that and then post the results.

However, the lynchpin of the article rests upon Earth passing through the "Galactic Equator". The rest of the article builds upon this supposition.

Prior to December 2012 we have been drifting on the top of the pizza, never really able to see the bottom. The plate and pizza are not parallel. They are moving at different angles. We've been drifting down, down, down... and on December 21st, 2012, we will be exactly level with the crust -- forming an "x" at the Galactic Equator where galactic gravity is the strongest.

Unfortunately, we've already long since passed it - and we're not going to be anywhere close to it come 2012.

www.ingentaconnect.com...

The Sun is found to lie 34.56±0.56 pc above the plane.

That's... roughly, 110 light years away. Further, gravity isn't like a "switch" or a laser beam that you can turn on or off, or pass in or out of. Were such the case that we were traveling through the Galactic equator - and that the gravity had some effect on us - we'd have been seeing it's effects gradually increasing for a very, very long time. Actually, decreasing now - since we've already passed it and are on the upswing.

but if it is true that a gamma burst from the center of our the Milky Way sets it off, and there is now data that supports that this was what destroyed the fauna last cycle, then this is an event that unless your a chosen one for some underground complex that exist, your fried.

The fossil record does not suggest any sort of claim. While extinctions do some in semi-regular cycles, their severity varies. Your description would imply an extinction level event greater than even the Permian-Triassic "Great Dying" - an event in which over 80% of the Earth's life died off. The mean average loss of speciation is actually closer to around 15% or less. Mass extinctions are extremely rare, and there's no shortage of geological or biological events which are capable of causing extinction events. Humans alone are partially responsible for two of them - the Pleistocene and Holocene events.

Extinction, also, is not generally caused by a single factor. They're the result of long term stresses punctuated by sudden shock. The Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction wasn't caused by the Chicxulub bolide - but was triggered by it.

Also, the PDF is from the Starburst Foundation. They have about as much credibility in astronomy and physics circles as the Discovery Institute does in Biology.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Good theory!
I've got one I think is just as credible.IMO
I'll see what you guys think:
Palin wins in 2012 and by december starts a nuke-lar war.
Probably with russia. Since putin would rear his head over alaska.
And we are a fairly paranoid and primitive society. (says spock)
What U think?
We don't seem to have much of a problem with war either.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Well if that is it, I don't see where you have proved anything. You express your opinion, but who are you to be taken seriously? Where is your data, facts, quoted experts to back up what you say? You call an organization or web site flaky but that does not disprove anything, just more opinion. I can also tell you did not read all the material, it took my two days to dig through all I found. You talk about it not being a single event, you are right and if you had read all the material you would have seen where things come together to create several potential effecting events. You have wasted your writing skills for you prove nothing one way or another. Bring some real meat to the discussions if you want people to listen to you and take you seriously. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is all based on Laviolette's superwave & pole shift theories. I find his work fascinating and somewhat probable. There are many unanswered questions (in science) and his theories definitely tie several loose ends together.

I would recommend reading the direct work of Dr. Paul Laviolette as opposed to an unverified interpertation of it; although what I've read so far in this referenced article appears to be pretty accurate~~

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The Sun's Distance from the Galactic Plane

Put that into google and see how many papers you find on it. There are different methods being used to try to figure out exactly where we are to the galactic plane and no one study has been proclaimed correct. The position is still up for debate from what I can tell. Course I'm no rocket scientist but anyone can see the debate of our position is still on going.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Your post makes me laugh...what a shame, seriously. You are obviously so "left brain" programmed that you shamefully dismiss all things and notions to the right because it does not fit into your deeply embedded ideologies.

I still don't see why any credence is given to the Mayan predictions, as their astronomy and math were already far superseded before their civilization even hit it's golden age. Even in the sparse rare areas in which they were more accurate than their eastern contemporaries - the margins by which they were correct were not anything extraordinary. At least, not extraordinary enough to warrant such belief if predictions which modern day Mayans generally don't even accept.

I don't know where you're getting your information, or maybe you just decided to shoot from the hip and spew # all over this thread, either way, I suggest you go back to the drawing board and try again.

For a biologist, whom you claim to be, I think you need to brush up on your research skills. I mean that is if in fact you're interested in the truth.

Here's a little bone to help get you on the right track. I refer you to an amazing astro-physicist named, Nassim Haramein. Once you understand his work, the rest will start to fall into place. Remember, everything is connected!

Crossing The Event Horizon - By Nassim Haramein

From there, I suggest watching Mayan presentations by Ian Lungold, this will also help you on your path to knowledge and truth.

Critical think for yourself, Deny Ignorance!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I also think i found a different fault in his theory about center of gravity.

He tried to explain to us how we will find center of gravity by using a ruler/stick.

But that is not how it would work between to bodies in space.

Because if you take a stick in our atmosphere and you stand on the ground holding it 1.5 m above ground. The stick will be attracted to the ground first of all. Because of the atmosphere between the stick and the ground.
And for the stick not falling to one of the sides you would have to hold your finger in the middle. But if you let go the stick will fall no matter what.

But would that happen if you did the same thing in space close to a vacuum? No it wouldn't.

Two bodies in space are not even connected to each other like each end of solid stick is. Space is like a pool of water. Not a blanket in mid air.

There are only three ways two bodies in space would attract and that is by their orbit, magnetic force or by the atmospheric pressure between them.
Where the body that gives of most energy or atmosphere would attract the other body.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

A proponent Nassim Haramein telling someone else they are making stuff up... now there's some irony for you .

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Nassim Haramein may be correct, he has published his work for peer review. What have you published that makes you a judge as to his work and theories? I find his work fascinating and plausible. You make fun of him and anyone that takes him seriously but you give no factual reason why. There are a lot of your types here at ATS and you bring nothing to the discussions that add fact or theory. What good are you and your opinions without backup data? Unless you are going to add to the discussion, you need to set there and keep out of it. You are wasting people's valuable reading time. Putting opinions down without a factual base to do so is immature and childish.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

take your pick of any of his vids... they are all pretty laughable

and as for sitting there and keeping my mouth shut... plz don't make the mistake of telling me what to do.. I'll opine where and when I please kthx

And you certainly don't seem to mind opinions in favor of Haramein's theories lacking factual evidence... which is a good thing.. because such does not exist.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins

take your pick of any of his vids... they are all pretty laughable

and as for sitting there and keeping my mouth shut... plz don't make the mistake of telling me what to do.. I'll opine where and when I please kthx

And you certainly don't seem to mind opinions in favor of Haramein's theories lacking factual evidence... which is a good thing.. because such does not exist.

No what's laughable is your ignorance......well it's really not laughable it's actually frightening. You're either a young adolescent who has quite a bit of learning to do about life

or

your an incessant old man who stumbles over his unchanging ways as he makes his way to the boob tube to watch Bill O'Reilly.

Either way....you provide no proof to your rant, just hate an ignorance that has not gone unnoticed.

Get a life!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Gee one would think I touched a nerve.

I wonder what exactly are Nassim Haramein's credentials... what qualifies him as a physicist?

As for seeing hate from me? If that's what you consider hate you should get back to your hothouse my little orchid... reality might bruise you.

But in the interest of peace I'll apologize for scoffing at your shaman.. my bad.

Seriously, you tell me to get a life... yet you get all irate because someone simply disagrees with you.. tsk tsk.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join