It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez urges military to be prepared for conflict

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Chavez urges military to be prepared for conflict

www.breitbart.com

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - President Hugo Chavez told his military on Sunday to be prepared for a possible confrontation with Colombia, warning that Bogota's plans to increase the U.S. military presence at its bases poses a threat to Venezuela.
Chavez has issued near daily warnings that Washington could use bases in Colombia to destabilize the region since learning of negotiations to lease seven Colombian military bases to the United States.

"The threat against us is growing," Chavez said. "I call on the people and the armed forces, let's go, ready for combat!"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Looks like there will indeed be a war. What Chavez says is justified. After all we have an American force being based in South America and that may not be a good thing since past history of the U.S. military in South America. Chavez might make a preemptive strike and would be supported by the people of South America.

www.breitbart.com

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Didn't aaron russo say something about the US attacking venezuela in his interview with alex jones?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Looks like there will indeed be a war. What Chavez says is justified. After all we have an American force being based in South America and that may not be a good thing since past history of the U.S. military in South America. Chavez might make a preemptive strike and would be supported by the people of South America.

Does he think the US is going to invade with all 1400?
South America is a large continent. Not all of them agree with Chavez. If war breaks out he might just cause it with all his rhetoric.

Source

The Colombians also say there would be no more than 1,400 American personnel and contractors in the country. About 600 U.S. military personnel already work in Colombia and advisers have trained thousands of Colombian troops since 2000.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Chavez is being an idiot. why would he want to start something as serious as a war with the U.S.? He would literally get destroyed by the military. In addition, not all of south America will support Chavez. in fact some nations are in the side of the United States. (Peru for example).

I hope Chavez does not destabilize the region, South America can be a big mess whenever countries begin to disagree with each other.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by newworld

He doesn't have everybody's support. He seems to be the only one stirring the crap pot. You know it doesn't stink unless you jab a stick in it and stir it up.

LatAm alarm over US-Colombia plan

Although a number of countries in the region had previously expressed alarm over the plan, the summit failed to back Venezuelan and Bolivian calls for a joint statement condemning the move.

Instead, Unasur members agreed to hold talks - in Argentina later this month - to discuss the controversial Colombian-US proposal.

Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, a staunch American ally, toured the region last week in an effort to persuade leaders that an expanded US presence would not threaten any other nation in South America.

But correspondents say South American leaders would like firm assurances from Washington that the US forces would not operate outside Colombian territory.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'll say the same as I did with Russia/Georgia.

Don't provoke the bear if you don't want to get bitten.

Originally posted by SLAYER69
LatAm alarm over US-Colombia plan

But correspondents say South American leaders would like firm assurances from Washington that the US forces would not operate outside Colombian territory.

But it seems perfectly reasonable of the countries in the area to seek assurances from the US.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by madeioo]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

1400 may not be enough to invade and conquer Venezuela but it could help destabilize the country by using guerrilla warfare by hitting important infrastructure of Venezuela especially ones related to economy. Then we have a real invasion by then.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

You know there are some who think that Chavez is simply trying to cover his rear. Because there is some pretty good evidence that he has been arming and aiding some rather interesting groups. So if anybody has a record of attempting to start a conflict it's him. He seems to have a jump on the competition.

Venezuela Still Aids Colombia Rebels, New Material Shows

CARACAS, Venezuela — Despite repeated denials by President Hugo Chávez, Venezuelan officials have continued to assist commanders of Colombia’s largest rebel group, helping them arrange weapons deals in Venezuela and even obtain identity cards to move with ease on Venezuelan soil, according to computer material captured from the rebels in recent months and under review by Western intelligence agencies.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, Russia is hangin out near Central America in subs. as we are here now. And I also believe Chavez is buddies with China and Russia. So I wouldn't really call him an idiot.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I've no doubt the US has figured this equation out: destabilizing a once sovereign country/region = pro american puppet outpost. The so called drug war is the cause of the problem in afghanistan and columbia. Either outpost is beside a bunch of oil in an anti-US country.

Too bad someone figured out the American foreign meddling game and got tired of it. Obviously anyone who doesn't go along with neo-imperialism is a monster. You are either with us or against us.

What would the US do if China stationed troops in Mexico?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So hes afraid that the American response is to support groups against Chavez with the help of the small American force in Colombia. Well now we understand why Chavez is pissed.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Venezuela to probe Colombia's arms allegation

Sweden has confirmed the bazooka-like weapons originally were sold to Venezuela's military and demanded an explanation from the South American country's top diplomat in Stockholm.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I can care less either way on this one....

But I do think Chavez is a liar and a hypocrite.

He lied about where those weapons came from. He knew about the sales. Nothing happens in his country without his knowledge that's the kind of country he is running. Now he is accusing the US of possibly preparing to do the exact same thing he has been doing for years.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hmm, seems like someone is trying to stir something up. The last I heard, Chavez was at least friendly with his commrade Obama. If he were to attack Columbia, would he also attack the U.S. troops stationed there or just send them back here? Does anyone here who knows what they're talking about have any idea about what our response would be, militarily? How equipped is he to deal with U.S. forces, after all those Russian purchases?

[edit on 10-8-2009 by AK49er]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Hmmm if there's war, Chavez will be starting it. Is it 1400 US troops there to aid Columbia against the Farc rebels and drug cartels? 1400 aren't going to go to war against a country!!

My interpretation is that Chavez makes a lot of money from sales of arms to these rebels, and makes money thru' the drugs trade. So it's not surprise he's angry that the US are putting a stop to those who engage in illegal activities, as it will affect Chavez's finances badly, and make his position even weaker.

I don't think he wants war, but in his frame of mind he may see it justifiable to attack Columbia. I also think that the majority of S.American countries would side with the US anyway.

I admit I don't know a great deal about South America, so if that's wrong, could somebody correct me.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

I admit I don't know a great deal about South America, so if that's wrong, could somebody correct me.

Yeah it's wrong. The US has a horrible reputation in Central and South America. Admitidly for very good reasons. Too numerous to mention actually.

However in this instance I think Chavez is very paranoid and is trying to take advantage of the bad taste the US has left behind from our previous interference in the region.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by john124

Yeah it's wrong. The US has a horrible reputation in Central and South America. Admitidly for very good reasons. Too numerous to mention actually.

However in this instance I think Chavez is very paranoid and is trying to take advantage of the bad taste the US has left behind from our previous interference in the region.

This situation sounds like a powder keg then. Obama should have kept those troops at home. Unless he's using this as an excuse to provoke Chavez and remove him from power.

If so, that's a highly risky strategy.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
USA IS installing military bases at south america. One that I don't like its at Paraguay... They installed a 400 man garison next to the Brazillian border... close to Itaipú.
en.wikipedia.org...
A very strategic and sensitive location to both countries.

There are plains for other bases in that country... Sadly the american gov is the one that say who is a good guy and bad guy in that country.

Other country is Colombia with more bases.

Now you can imagine why some people here don't like these move... Too many american military in this area.

[edit on 10/8/09 by blackcube]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
No. Looks like media hype. There will be no "war" there LOL. Chavez would like to keep what little bit of a force he is building down there.

Originally posted by deltaboy

www.breitbart.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join