It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid Meteor Shower Reminder!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I wanted to remind everyone that tomorrow night the 11th and the 12th is the peak of the annual Perseid meteor shower.

According to National Geographic News, this years shower could produce up to 80 meteors per hour. The moon is going to be bright this year, so the best viewing hours are late evening Tuesday into early Wednesday.

The Perseid meteors are bits of 2,000-year-old debris left behind by the periodic comet Swift-Tuttle. Earth's atmosphere collides with the debris at more than 23 miles per second.

So ladies and gentlemen, get your blankets out and stretch out on the lawn and enjoy natures fire works!!!!
They are truly beautiful!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thank you very much.

This may show the depth of my ignorance, but can all countries see it?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Thanks, I've been out every night watching the earlybirds. Man there are a lot of satellites up there. And what are those grey misty shroud like things that form and disappear in a couple seconds?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Thank you! My daughter was just asking a few days ago when this was and I completely forgot to look it up so I am really glad that you posted this. She would be devastated if we missed getting to see it.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up !! That is why I come here.....my one stop brain shop ....ATS !

star for you!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

According to what I read, yes. The world over will be able to see this shower. The will be visible for a few days before and a few after the given dates, that is just the peak viewing nights!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks so much for the reminder! I almost forgot. I'll be looking forward to this!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
As I live out in the sticks in Kentucky, lights won't be a problem, I just hope its not cloudy! I love meteor showers!! I have been known to put my long johns on and wrap up in a blanket and watch the ones that come in the winter! I think they are awesome!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It's really overcast outside my house tonight, I hope it clears up by tomorrow evening. I'm a big fan of meteor showers.

I live in a nice, rural farming community. No light pollution for miles around.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I'm in the sticks of Kentucky as well and I'm all excited!
We lay out on the trampoline to do our sky watching, LOL!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Now that sounds comfortable!! Lets pray its clear skies!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Oh I hope it clears off for you tomorrow night so that you can enjoy the show!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
cool;
i will definitely check this out;
thanks for letting us know

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the reminder, S&F!

Living in the boondocks of Missouri, we can see the milky way, I am sure that this year, it will be a real treat!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It is very cloudy here this morning! I hope it goes ahead and rains and gets it over with! TONIGHT is the night!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Astronomers expect up to 200 meteors per hour in short bursts of up to 15 minutes or so.

In North America, the best time to watch will be between midnight to 5 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 12, but late Tuesday night and also Wednesday night could prove fruitful, weather permitting.

Source

Last night was very clear down here and it still is. I hope it stays this way.

Don't forget your camera's! I will try to get some photos to post. I'm pretty excited should be a great show!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Awesome!

Was just thinking about this the other day and couldn't remember what time of year it was.

I guess it's this time.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Just a bit ago, the sun popped out! Finally after all day of thinking that I would miss this years show, it clears off!!! Yea me!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
Just a bit ago, the sun popped out! Finally after all day of thinking that I would miss this years show, it clears off!!! Yea me!!!

Same here mate!

Both the hubby and I are truly expecting that meteor shower either tonight (some forecast of isolated t-storm) or tomorrow as no forecast of nasty weather what so ever

Will make sure to empty that digi cam of mine to try to film some showers on iso 1000 mode to share with you all if the weather is favorable.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
As luck would have it, after being heavily clouded all day, the skies in my area have cleared up remarkably in the past hour or so. Many, many stars in the sky. It's going to be a fun evening for me, for sure.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate a pair of bonocs, so it looks like I'll have to use the eyes I was born with, lol. I'm going to be heading out again at around 1 o'clock to check out the action (it's currently 11:30).

I was out just a couple of minutes ago, and had the good fortune of seeing two or three meteors, but hopefully it'll pick up as the night progresses.

I plan to walk into the middle of the hay-field behind my house to get a good clear look at the big sky, without houses or trees mudding my view. Need to watch out for cow paddies and 'yotes though

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join