It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed U-2 Flight - 70,000ft (2 Seat TU-2 Trainer)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Lockheed U-2 Flight - 70,000ft (2 Seat TU-2 Trainer)

Nothing needs to be said

Awesome Video

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
To get permission to fly this is the training to go through to be allowed

Lockheed U-2 Flight - The Training + Extra Flight Scenes

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
"gob smacked!"

hey zorgon - it got to 70000 feet - how much higher could it go? If it went into "space" by mistake, could it come back? That really was an amazing video - thank you

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Very cool video, it was posted somewhere on this forum a few days ago. We have planes that can fly right up to the edge. Truly amazing.

I think it lends some credence to Government UFO's.

PS isnt that plane like 50 years old?

[edit on 10-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think a Pegasus Field trip is in order

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that. That would be quite a breathtaking experience. I wonder how long it takes to climb to 70,000 feet?

Also did that guy have glasses on?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

I just saw an excerpt while trying to find out how many miles 70,000 ft. was( a little more than 13 miles) and the service ceiling is 84,000 ft.

That is high.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

If it went into "space" by mistake, could it come back?

It couldn't make it to space, it does not have enough power to do so. But if it hypothetically did its' engines would not work, as there is no air for the jet engine to breath. But it would be able to eventually come back down due to orbital decay, although it would burn up in the atmosphere, as it is not adequately shielded for re-entry.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I want to reserve my seat now.

Good thread, simply stunning images.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The show was called James May at the edge of Space, was broadcast by the BBC in July, it was excellent, James May is a presenter on the BBC has several different information shows, latest being James May on the moon.

I'm not sure if BBC iplayer still has it available to watch, but I'm certain the whole show can be found somewhere, if I remember right it was almost an hour long, and followed him through the training etc.

Also the week before he did a show about the Apollo Missions, at the end of that show was the run up to his training for this flight.

Incredible footage, guy was in tears when he saw the curvature of the Planet.

To add during the flight the pilot tells him the difference between lift and stall is only a matter of a couple of knots air speed.

[edit on 10/8/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for the awesome clip zorgon!

I am into skydiving and all I could imagine was jumping out of that plane at 70 000 ft, let alone 30 000 ft higher than that.

103 000 feet skydive.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Come on Down! One of Blackswift's cousins was teasing us a few days ago!
Last night "Someone" decided to wake us up around 2 AM.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Cool thanks for the lesson!

and @zorgon I wanna come on a Pegasus field trip !

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LSWONE
Come on Down! One of Blackswift's cousins was teasing us a few days ago!
Last night "Someone" decided to wake us up around 2 AM.

Wasn't the Pegasus was it
Yeah I will get down that way... just not very mobile right now

October at Edwards sound interesting

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This one seemed too fast for a Pegasus. I am not sure what the Pegasus is capable of, but this just seemed too high and fast. 3 loud booms hitting you in the chest and the next thing you know, this thing is gone!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec3a25283594.jpg[/atsimg]

As for October, I don't think I will be able to get out much. I may not have any free time until about November.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by LSWONE]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Still, flying that high in a conventional craft would be awesome though.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

As for October, I don't think I will be able to get out much. I may not have any free time until about November.

Well I mentioned Oct because of the air show... but after Sept I will be mobile and its only a couple hours from here so no problem

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

But if it hypothetically did its' engines would not work, as there is no air for the jet engine to breath. But it would be able to eventually come back down due to orbital decay, although it would burn up in the atmosphere, as it is not adequately shielded for re-entry

That is not entirely true. If it did accidentally break from the atmosphere, it could re-enter without burning up. Its speed would not create the heat a space shuttle or satellite would. The friction from re-entry would be no different than the friction from flight.

However, it would most certainly crash! Without the dynamic support of the atmosphere on the vertical stabilizer and wings, it would begin to tumble or spin. Once it started a descent back into the atmosphere it would tear apart! I can't remember which test pilot's have experienced this, but it has happened.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Well I mentioned Oct because of the air show... but after Sept I will be mobile and its only a couple hours from here so no problem

Oh yeah,

The 17th is blocked out on my calendar for a special event. I can get us "cool" seats. Maybe this time you wont come up with wimpy excuses like I had my legs removed.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

getready,

Except....barring a Star Trek tractor beam or something, the U-2 just will not be able to EVER leave the atmosphere, no matter how tenuous.

The term "coffin corner" comes to mind. More technical term, "Flight Envelope".

Notice, in the video...which you know, the airspeed is actually quite low, I saw it at about 132K. AT its service ceiling, it has about a 2-3 knot margin, between 'overspeed' for that altitude, and stalling.

Fragile as the wing is, I'd hate to see either events, and the structural damage resulting...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join