It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is world peace possible?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CrowServo

We have past history to learn from the quest for world peace is a pipe dream to be sure,but to fight against human nature is a worthy goal even if we know that the killer instinct is ingrained into our souls.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
People keep bringing up history. Well, that is the field in which I hold a degree, and I have obviously drawn far different conclusions than some in this thread.

First of all, our knowledge of history is limited at best. There are vast tracks of time for which we have almost no evidence of how people behaved. In addition, history is not a science, and therefore we cannot draw clean and elegant conclusions from it. I will not argue that wars, violence, and rape have gone on for ages, but I also don't think we have to feel trapped by that. Just because something does happen, that doesn't mean it will always happen, or that it is natural for it to happen. It just seems like a cop-out to me to say that violence is hardwired into us. It absolves us of responsibility for our actions, and is a barrier to human progress.

Violence is a choice. One can choose to do any number of things, natural or unnatural. People can choose to live peaceful lives, and our capacity to do so is natural. Fundamental, universal ethical principles found in just about every religion and philosophy express the notion of a respect for life and the general principle that one should not hurt or kill another. I do not believe these ideas to be artificial.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
it will be very difficult to have world peace as long as we have money in its current form ..

we need to learn to love ourselves first .. then comes peace

love and light
ps

<< 1  2   >>

join