It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is world peace possible?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hi,guys This is my first topic here in this section of the forums so please be gentle!
While at work I have seen a lot of kids wearing peace signs and t-shirts spouting the long dead slogans about,love,peace and understanding.What they fail to understand is as long as there are humans there will be war it's our species nature to conquer and pillage those weaker than us.All this talk about peace is naive when put in context of human history,we try to break that cycle but we deep down don't want to or are not allowed to.As the report from Iron Mountain says:"Control over a Nation's people lies with it's war power."

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I am in agreement with you. War is our nature and it is part of everything around us. It is the nature of creatures that are the products of evolution. Just look at animals in the wild, everyday is a battle for them. It is our nature to fight to see whose will dominate and which genes will pass on to future generations. Some could even make a case that our species may be better off in the long run if we thinned the gene pool through more battles.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
No, peace is not possible, not until people stop being so darn greedy and looking out only for themselves. When we can all stand TOGETHER, then we will see peace. Until then, it is just a pipe dream. One even I have, but recognize as being a dream only.

Sorry to be so "rough". Welcome to ATS and your first thread.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
no matter how naive you think it sounds, I disagree. think for yourselves, as long as you let other people tell you that certain things are bad, and you cant like said things, you will not see the truth.

No matter your color, place of birth, gender, size, shape...we are all earthlings, we all want to be loved, be safe, be ourselves. live and let live. it starts with you.

I think it will take evolution of our consciousness, to realise just how similar we all are. we are all brothers/sisters/ family in some form. once we figure this out, we can work together as a whole to achieve anything!

Love and Light, Ron

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

Is world be peace possible? Probably not. Because our nature is the nature of choas. If we have peace choas will eventually find its way back in. The world cannot live in goodness, because its needs evil to survive. However, evil does not need good to survive. Do you get it? I'll break it down for you.

If good were to be everywhere and peace reigned, the world would be nice. It would just go around and around, one good deed topping the other. However, eventually through good deeds evil will arise, whether it would be one goody goody trying to do better than the other goody goody. Resent seeps in and than anger, which leads to hate and hate leads to suffering (Yes master Yoda..lol).

But evil on the other hand can thrive without good. Because evil knows no boundaries. Prime example the mafia. Evil does not need good to survive, like good needs evil. What an odd world in which we live. The Ying and the Yang stands up to a point, but can if not carefully controlled, be overturned. Of course this is just one theory..lol.. Their are many others.

S&F and its about time you came to the psychology board

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I usually say that nothing is impossible.

However, when it comes to the issue of world peace i have to make an exception. Our world will never know peace, we are just not capable of it.
The best we can do is as individuals be as peaceful as possible.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Too many powerful people are unwilling to give up their power, its sad but true.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think you should watch watchmen

getting peace isnt peaceful

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yes it is.

I used to think it wasn't, because humans are too selfish, but now I really think it is.

If you exposed and humbled the elite, made government transparent, returned to communal living, and we evolved spiritually, all the world's problems would go away.

I mean, life can't ever be perfect, but there could definitely be a world with no war, little or no crime, and people with unconditional love for other people. It is possible.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
For every good person, there is a horrible person. Good people are never going to stop being born, just as horrible people are never going to stop being born, it is a circle- we balance each other out. It is hard to see if you live in a 'blinded' community- suburbs, or small town, but go to a city.

Some people are born with a love to screw things up, to throw anarchy into the perfected order and some people feed off destruction and death, and greed. It may be possible to have a portion of the world at perfect piece, but I do not think that the world will ever see peace on a large scale.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I don't think anyone is evil. I just think human beings naturally have a hierarchy of people that are important to them, the highest being self and the lowest being whoever affects their life the least.

Many people would destroy an entire country to save themselves, or a member of their family. People who have feelings and are not psychopathic. Are they evil?

I think it's healthy and natural to love your family and friends more than people you don't know or aren't related to, but when it's to the point that your kind is everything and everyone else is nothing, it becomes evil.

To attain world peace, we will have to learn to love everyone equally on some level.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It will only be possible when the egoic structure of modern civilization collapses. It could be said that the American way of life, in terms of all the presumptions and presuppositions that most sheeple live by and operate within, is a perfect model, of the very antithesis, of the kind of being and thinking, that world peace will require.

The dumbing down of the American people, so as to govern them, has come at a very heavy price, for humanity's collective unconsciousness and essential oneness.

We need to get to the end of the false program which the mainstream media and US establishment continually propogate.

The day that everyone stops watching TV or seeing most movies they are releasing these days - then there's a chance.

But the status quo - it's no longer functional or workable, and it's false, and a lie.

When EVERYONE sees through this, to the foundation of our existence as human beings having a spiritual experience, as being nothing other than LOVE itself, then there will be no peace, no world peace, of the everlasting kind, and they the PTB do NOT want it! Not for a moment. So everyone, stay glued to your TV and be sure to attend the next showing of the next crime or serial killer movie..

We must throw OFF the false program, and recognize that this IS a war for our minds, one which many of the people are at ATS have already won and overcome.

Thus, in some ways ATS is a beacon of light, in a world gone mad - if you can sift the wheat from the chaff.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Whether it is part of human nature to be aggressive and warlike is still debatable. Personally, I think war is a problem of civilization, not nature.

But let us assume that it is part of our reptilian brain to be warlike and dominating. Do we not have the capacity, at least, to rise above it? Peace happens every day, localized peace at least. In fact, there is far more peace than war, or we would never have gotten this far as a species. Now, conflict on the other hand, that is natural, but why do we assume that conflict must inevitably turn violent? Is not violence and war but a symptom of internal conflict? Why can we not, as a species, choose to have conflict in a peaceful, growth-oriented way? People do it every day.

Every time you have a fight with your significant other and talk things out instead of throwing things at each other, this is peaceful conflict. Every time you take a deep breath after somebody cuts you off in traffic, and simply go on with your trip rather than pulling out a baseball bat, this is peaceful conflict. Every time you have a personal problem, but talk it out with your friends or loved ones, or see your therapist instead of lashing out at others, this is peaceful conflict. You are rising above your "lower nature," which I still maintain is not necessarily "violent" in nature.

Do humans disappoint me with their actions on a daily basis? Yes. Have I been moved to aggressive thoughts and (rarely) actions? Of course. But I don't call it natural or try to justify it, nor do I feel condemned to repeat my lapses in judgment.

It may take a long, long time, but I believe world peace (as in, a world free from violent conflict) is thoroughly possible - just as possible as the scenario of us wiping out each other. We are a cerebral species, and we are endowed with the capacity to choose to deal with admittedly inevitable conflict in constructive ways. People do it all the time, and can continue to do this.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike dangerously
Hi,guys This is my first topic here in this section of the forums so please be gentle!
While at work I have seen a lot of kids wearing peace signs and t-shirts spouting the long dead slogans about,love,peace and understanding.What they fail to understand is as long as there are humans there will be war it's our species nature to conquer and pillage those weaker than us.All this talk about peace is naive when put in context of human history,we try to break that cycle but we deep down don't want to or are not allowed to.As the report from Iron Mountain says:"Control over a Nation's people lies with it's war power."

My short answer is: no.

Humans are hideous creatures.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Wars are between governments, not people.

Sorry, OP, you're wrong.

When is the last time PEOPLE went to war? -- Please answer this for me.

When is the last time GOVERNMENTS went to war? -- The most recent war's I know about are Iraq/Afghanistan.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Wars are between governments, not people.

A good point, Kaytagg, if I may say so.

War is a product of civilizations. Skirmishes between apes over bananas and tribal warfare (which, one could argue, is a form of civilization) aside, actual war is a political, not a personal act.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Not until we are forced to unite against something that we fear more than ourselves.

Only when we find ourselves in the presence of an outside threat we will unite to face it, until then I don't really believe that unity and peace is possible.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaytaggWhen is the last time PEOPLE went to war? -- Please answer this for me.

When is the last time GOVERNMENTS went to war? -- The most recent war's I know about are Iraq/Afghanistan.

1990–1995: The Log Revolution in Croatia starts, triggering the Croatian War of Independence.
1990–1995: The First Tuareg Rebellion in Niger and Mali.
1991: The Kurdish uprising against Iraqi President Saddam Hussein in Iraqi Kurdistan.
1991: The Shiite Uprising in Karbala, Iraq.
1992–1995: Bosnian War of Independence.
1994: The 1990s Uprising in Bahrain, Shiite-led rebellion for the restoration of democracy in Bahrain.
1994: The Zapatista Rebellion: an uprising in the Mexican state of Chiapas demanding equal rights for indigenous peoples and in opposition to growing neoliberalism in North America.
1994–1996: The First Chechen Rebellion against Russia.
1997–1999: The Kosovo Rebellion against Yugoslavia.
1998: The Indonesian Revolution of 1998 resulted the resignation of President Suharto after three decades of the New Order period.
1999–present: The Second Chechen Rebellion against Russia.

There's a lot more examples.

War is bad, but sometimes necessary.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
I usually say that nothing is impossible.

However, when it comes to the issue of world peace i have to make an exception. Our world will never know peace, we are just not capable of it.
The best we can do is as individuals be as peaceful as possible.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Too many powerful people are unwilling to give up their power, its sad but true.

Peace.

*sighs sadly*

I whole-heartedly agree.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by madeioo

Georgia, Pakistan-India, Strikes against Syria, Panama, Haiti, Darfur, Nigeria, East Timor, Sudan, Congo, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Lebanon, Palestine, US - Pakistan, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Chile.....do I have to go on ??

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The original poster has asked a question that is at the heart of the most of all world politics, international relations, political theory and even psychology etc - this is discussed from Freud (Civilization and Its discontentents) to Foucault - to John Kean and his new book - The Life And Death of Democracy.

The short answer is the democracies don't invade democracies - the long answer is that humans have a collective evil side to them - it is hate - it is part of our psyche it is there to keep us in balance.

We are an evolutionary being, that is why Christianity so disturbs me as it implicitly undermines what we need to recognize in order to better our selves, that evolutionary genesis is what drive us in almost all facets of our being, including war.

The issue which we need to address is not will we have war - as violence is in our nature - rather - can we find a better method of dispute resolution - the UN was set up for this purpose however has been rendered ineffective by aggressive and violent nations bending it to their will and nefarious purposes - primarily of course the US and UK..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join