It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.7 Magnitude Earthquake hits Andaman Islands in the Indian Ocean, Tsunami Watch in Effect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

7.7 Magnitude Earthquake hits Andaman Islands in the Indian Ocean, Tsunami Watch in Effect

www.prh.noaa.gov

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 1956Z 10 AUG 2009
COORDINATES - 14.1 NORTH 93.0 EAST
LOCATION - ANDAMAN ISLANDS INDIA REGION
MAGNITUDE - 7.7

EVALUATION

EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO GENERATE A
DESTRUCTIVE LOCAL TSUNAMI AND SOMETIMES A DESTRUCTIVE REGIONAL
TSUNAMI ALONG COASTS LOCATED USUALLY NO MORE THAN A THOUSAND
KILOMETERS FROM THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AREAS FURTHER FROM THE
EPICENTER COULD EXPERIENCE SMALL SEA LEVEL CHANGES AND STRONG OR
UNUSUAL COASTAL CURR
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
earthquake.usgs.gov

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Let's hope this one does not produce a tsunami! Right now there is no news coming in indicating that there is one but time will tell.

Granted, the 2004 tsunami in that region was over a magnitude 9 so this one pales in comparison but it is worth noting given the recent amount of 6/7 magnitude quakes from Baja Mexico to Japan and now into the Indian Ocean.

It is also worth noting that the beginning of this trend was pointed out by the Web Bot guys a week before the first quakes hit. They said that quakes would begin on August 3-4 and would continue for some time with some being severe. This comes after several months of relative quiet.

MODS: Feel free to send this off to the Fragile Earth forum if you deem necessary.

www.prh.noaa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-8-2009 by nydsdan]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Downgraded to a 7.6 (for now). Here's a map:

Click here for an updated map.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

The RSOE site is showing three earthquakes within seconds of one another. 7.6, 7.7, 7.6

There are no tsunami warnings yet. The quake was centered 25 km below the surface. That seems fairly shallow, but I don't know how that affects tsunami's.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
hisz.rsoe.hu...

The RSOE site is showing three earthquakes within seconds of one another. 7.6, 7.7, 7.6

There are no tsunami warnings yet. The quake was centered 25 km below the surface. That seems fairly shallow, but I don't know how that affects tsunami's.

Perhaps RSOE is showing 3 different sensors reporting the same single event?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

You may be correct. That site is usually very accurate and it doesn't get glitches very often, but all the data is very preliminary for now!

Have you seen any updates or MSM reporting? I am at work with no access to television.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I just saw it in the news at least 5 countries have advice of tsunami so lets hope nothing big happens.

Is good to know that there is always someone ready to keep us inform on any news here on ATS

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hmmm disturbing.. That is along the same ridge... What caused the Tsunami last time was an underwater overhang falling creating a gigantic wave...If another overhang has broken off we shall find out with in the hour...

The Tsunami danger here is very real..

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
A magnitude 6.4 just hit Japan at the same location as last night's 7.1
Coincidence?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is very troubling news. I think the IRIS image says it all:
www.iris.edu...

It does help explain why my animals have been behaving very oddly.

My sincere prayers for no tsunami.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

No its not a coincidence. The earthquakes have been in talks for years and now they have decided to work together to form a coordinated attack against all human interests. These earthquakes are tough. They make Al-CIAda look like childsplay. These guys are the orginal terrorists.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Now this is weird... wasnt a part of Japon and India where the eclipse was seen? Maybe we should see in China something to happen

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mrFantastic4567

Seriously, try to contribute next time you post.
Anyway, the point I am making is that a 7.1 hits deep under Japan, then 9 hours later (to the minute) a 7.6 hits in the Indian Ocean, 12 minutes later a 6.4 hits in a shallower area under Japan.

That is interesting, to say the least. Especially when the Japan and Indian O quakes are not even on the same faultlines as far as I can tell.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Actually, this spate of big quakes seemed to begin with the New Zealand quake a couple of weeks ago..

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

I just saw this on the news...... sounds like quite a biggie..... first Typhoons sweeping around and now Earthquakes & possible Tsunami.....

The last one over in Indonesia was a big bad one...... maybe that eclipse was the beginning of countdown

link   
Twitter Updates

* BULLETIN -- TSUNAMI GENERATED AFTER MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE IN THE INDIAN OCEAN; SIZE UNCLEAR.

www.bnonews.com...

Lets hope it's not a big one this time.

link   
One in france also ?

this is wierd, all these others on the same fault line.
Millions could die if the whole thing went

hope it doesnt, but this is a lot of activity in the last few days

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Well it is only interesting as far as they just happened to occur by chance within a certain time frame. That is my point. Earthquakes happen whenever they want, it doesnt mean their is some giant devastating disaster afoot.

If you ever spent time tracking earthquakes you would realize that sometimes there are times of low activity and other times things are going off like firecrackers, and still other times when it is somewhere in between. The point is that Earthquakes are random events of nature that unless they happen really geographically close together have nothing to do with each other.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

Beat me to it, Have a star

[edit on 10-8-2009 by NotAgain]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

....My guess would be this.. Yesterday the seismic waves weakened a portion of the Indain ridge... time passed and another overhang broke off and landed on the ocean floor with such force to create the indian quack today...12 min later the seismic waves from That event travel back to japan to set off a big after shock...

What you have here is a ping pong game of seismic waves traveling back and forth causing reaction after reaction...

My thoughts anyways.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join